Thread: Rank Disney films: 2006-2016

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Rank Disney films: 2006-2016

Disney have been riding a wave of increasing critical/commercial acclaim with their animated films (I'm not counting Pixar here) over the last decade, but what's your personal ranking of them? Post your preferences and compare!

Mine (favourite first):

Wreck-It Ralph
    Frozen
    Big Hero 6
    Zootopia
    Tangled
    The Princess and the Frog
    Moana

Not seen: Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Winnie the Pooh

Even though I put Moana bottom, I still like it. That's how good Disney have been of late.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

1. Frozen
    2. Wreck-It-Ralph
    3. Tangled
    4. Big Hero 6

I haven't seen any others. I think Frozen & WIR are a cut above the rest and instant classics in my opinion though all four have been good.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Big Hero Six
    Tangled
    Zootopia

I'll have to think about the rest!

From worst to best :

The Wild- basically garbage, a big reason why Disney shouldn't try and copy Dreamworks.

Winnie The Pooh- Fun and cute, but a weak movie, unless you're over the age of seven. A good movie for little brothers and sisters and young cousins, or your daughter and sons. Or adults who grew up with Pooh and just want to get back those warm, fuzzy nostalgic feelings of childhood back.

Bolt- Had some heartwarming moments, but it's only worth one watch imo.

Wreck- It- Ralph- Many people adore this movie, and that's okay, but this movie just wasn't my cup of tea, I just didn't really enjoy the characters all that much. But I didn't regret watching it, at the same time. It's fun, but the characters are just too obnoxious. Like Bolt, it's worth a watch, but it just feels a bit more solid and deeper than Bolt.

Frozen- Cute movie about sister relationships, but also tries way too hard to shout out to the audience that " they are not like Little Mermaid anymore, we are modern and hip hop, yo dawgs, the prince is a dick " I love Princess Anna. She's adorable.

Princess and the Frog- Nice characters, good messages, more subtle than Frozen and Robinsons, but a weak Disney soundtrack. Also, like Ralph; found some of the characters annoying. Also found the main characters being frogs for most of the movie, a bit dull. Would Have found Tiana being human and helping Naveen with maybe racing the clock story more exciting ?

Meet the Robinsons- Cute movie, animation has pretty much aged already, but I love the message that the movie is sending so much ! Problem ? Again, like Frozen- IT'S IN YOUR FACE, and said again, again, and again. Subtle, Disney ! Be Subtle ! SHOW DON'T TELL. I love this movie, despite it's flaws though.

Zootopia- Feels pretty adult for a modern Disney movie, which is good though ! So many children and adults can watch and enjoy this movie deeply.

Big Hero 6- So adorable, tragic, deep, emotional and fun.

Tangled- Nice heroine ? Yup ! Loveable sidekicks ? Yup ! Nice soundtrack ? Yup ! Nice storyline ? Yup ! Messages told subtly and deeply ? Yup !

Haven't seen : Moana- It doesn't come out here till boxing day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Btw, did you know that The Wild actually started being made before Madagascar?

Here's how I rank the ones I've seen from best to least favorite ("worst" implies |bad", and I really don;t think any of them was bad)

1. Zootopia
    2. Frozen
    3. Tangled
    4. The Princess and the Frog
    5. Big Hero 6
    6. The Wild

Not seen: Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It-Ralph, Moana

Zootopia may just be my second favorite Disney movie of all time - it's just so good in so many ways. In general, I think Disney has had a good ten years, even if the start has been pretty shaky.

Yeah, but you can easily tell from Chicken Little and Wild that Disney was trying far too hard to be Dreamworks and be Shrek-ish.

So glad those days are ogre now.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

1) Frozen
    2) Moana
    3) Tangled
    4) Zootopia
    5) The Princess and the Frog
    6) Meet the Robinsons
    7) Bolt

By some bizarre set of circumstances, I have not yet seen Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph, or Big Hero 6.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Yeah, but you can easily tell from Chicken Little and Wild that Disney was trying far too hard to be Dreamworks and be Shrek-ish.
    The Wild really wasn't even a Disney film, it was just distributed by them. It was actually the first, and last, film produced by a now defunct CGI animation studio founded by William Shatner, and it felt way too much like a knockoff of Madagascar.

Chicken Little was basically the early prototype for Zootopia. I'll admit it's not one of the better entries in the Disney Animated Features Canon, but it's not what I'd call terrible.

Neither movie resembled Shrek though.
    Last edited by DMKA; 12-10-2016 at 04:32 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

1. Zootopia
    2. Wreck-It-Ralph
    3. Tangled
    4. Big Hero 6
    5. The Princess and the Frog
    6. Frozen

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

1) Tangled
    2) Zootopia
    2) Wreck-It Ralph
    3) Frozen
    3) Up
    4) Finding Dory
    4) The Princess and the Frog
    5) Big Hero 6
    5) Brave

Okay, here we go: the Disney films from 2006 to 2016 that I've watched. They fall into five categories: must-see, very good, alright, watch if bored and avoid at all costs. Within each category, films are in no particular order.

Must-see

Zootopia
    download.jpg
    This, pretty much. Mmmm, Jason Bateman voice. An extremely entertaining film.

WALL-E

I loved it. Although personally I found the opening section on Earth with the slow-build romance against the backdrop of a garbage-filled wasteland more engaging than the rest of the film.

Toy Story 3
    Best of the 3, I reckon. Definitely one for those who were growing up when the first two came out.

Cinderalle III: A Twist in Time

Cinderella's step-mother finally gets the magic powers a Disney villainess of her calibre deserves, and Cinderella has to actually work for her happy ending, rather than just have it fall into her lap because fairy godmother. Ludicrous, unnecessary, pointless and absolutely marvellous. Just switch off your brain and embrace the straight-to-DVD magic.

Very good

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

A return to form for the franchise after two interminably dull outings.

Enchanted
    e79b23cef62091797a34b4584c1374c1.jpg
    Mmmm, Patrick Dempsey..... Where was I? Oh right, the film. A delightful pastiche of Disney princess films. Also, Patrick Dempsey.

Into the Woods
    Sooo much subtext and almost as clever as it thinks it is. A delicious slice of textual intervention.

Inside Out
    Thoroughly charming.

Tangled

Pretty damn good fun, actually. The chameleon did get on my nerves, though.

Alright

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Entertaining matinee fluff. Also, Jake Gyllenhaal. Mmm, Jake Gyllenhaal....

Tron Legacy
    A much more engaging Daft Punk music video than The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem. Actually has a semblance of a plot. Oh, wait, it's not a music video? Huh. Pretty thin plot for a film, in that case. Looks good, though, and is very atmospheric.

Brave
    c77a2a0fe054b05bf44dc50b4ec5536a.jpg
    Once again, opening much stronger than the main body. I wish Disney had the courage to just STICK to an interesting idea and follow it through, rather than just give up and throw in some magic.

Maleficent
    As unnecessary live-actions remakes/reimaginings/reselling to make loads of money go, it's a good'un.

Frozen
    Let it goooo, let it gooooo... Fairly entertaining. You've probably heard THAT song to death, but apart from that it IS a decent Disney.

Watch if bored

Ratatouille
    Okay, I guess? Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it never quite clicks.

The Princess and the Frog
    Strong opening section, but goes off the rails when the frog transformation happens. Far too by the numbers from that point on.

Wreck-It-Ralph
    Meh. If it's raining out and you've got nothing better to do, go ahead.

The Muppets
    statler-waldorf-young-adult.jpg
    It wasn't awful, but it outstayed its welcome.

Avoid at all costs

The Sorceror's Apprentice
    Waldorf_and_Statler_2.JPG
    Last edited by Mr. Carnelian; 12-11-2016 at 01:31 PM.