Thread: SNES RPG's

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default SNES RPG's

So I was thinking today after Loony BoBs thread about games being equal, and is it our memories that make these games some of the greatest games ever in our mind? Well I decided I would replay some old RPG's that maybe I liked, and maybe I didn't. If I did like it, did it hold up well?

So I thought why not replay a few of them. There are a few I remeber not liking very much, but what about now? Will I enjoy them with a more mature mind?

I also remeber replaying FF VI last year and thought the world of Ruin really dragged on for me. Never thought that before.

So far two I Have planes to play are Secret of The Stars, and Secret of Mana. Hated both, but never remembered why really. Just didn't like them. Those two I will star with, but what others should I hit up.

Write a review of each with a more matured mind.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been watching a lot of marathon speed runs (GDQ) of SNES and PS1 RPGs lately and simply having a blast watching these games get exploited, or more amazingly, just straight up played through using clever time saving tricks that, for example, makes Final Fantasy VI 100% beatable in about seven and a half hours. I know most people who would read this thread know all about it, so I won't carry on. Just forgot how much fun it is to watch something like that.

Anyway, while I do recognize the flaws present in older SNES RPGs (I'm with you on the World of Ruin dragging feeling), overall I still say they are my favorite (along with a lot of PS1 RPGs). I'll admit that a decent chunk of me feeling that way is due to my age/rose tinted glasses, but I have a firm belief that nostalgia can only hold up something so much, so if the games turned out to be bad, I wouldn't feel any desire to play them. Obviously, that's not true. I wouldn't be willing to set aside the time required for them if I didn't like them, especially with all the cool things out today.

While I always liked Breath of Fire 2 a lot, the longer I was a gamer the more I came to enjoy the game. Back when I was young I would have thought you silly to put it in the same league as the likes of Chrono Trigger and FF VI, these days I think it can hang with them.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I still think Super Mario RPG is one of the best RPGs I've played period.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i replayed Front Mission last year and it was still great
    this time i did it in english
    last time in japanese, back in high school
    back then, text based exposition was difficult unless you intentionally wrote a lot. i think translation is a big issue too. translated stuff doesn't carry as much weight unless the team is really good (like axys games, 999/nonary game localization)

i think the front mission translation was actually a fan one anyway so still all right but a lack of passion/interpretation

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Theres a REALLY REALLY obscure game. Called final fantasy V btw.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel for the most part that many of the games of this era are certainly solid titles in there own right, but with that said, they are hardily the paragon of perfection either. I would also agree that there is still a bit of a line between this generation and later generations that will keep them divided, by which I mean that the games of this generation will always have a special place for those who played them in their time, whereas people who came into the genre later, and thus were introduced with different expectations, will likely be forever baffled by how this generation remains popular.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, I came into this generation fairly late and still think it's excellent. Though I have to say, I think the DS generation is actually one of the best generations when it comes to RPGs by virtue of a lot of titles drawing very heavily on SNES RPG stables and further refining them

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I still think Super Mario RPG is one of the best RPGs I've played period.
    Totally agree with you on super Mario Rpg. Even though I haven't played the game in a long time. The music was good the gameplay was fun. Just a great game that I think everyone should play at least once.

Yeah, I'm kinda torn on the opinion. I know some of my enjoyment of old games and even newer games based on old games is not only due in part to nostalgia, but also bred from a patience derived from originally enjoying those types of games in the first place

A lot of old games have a lot of mechanical shortcomings that we've overcame since their creation. Lots of old RPGs wouldn't even let you move diagonally. And a lot of throw-back indie games re-incorporate limitations like this, but I don't know how well those are received by newer gamers, and are probably mostly enjoyed by people who enjoyed the original stuff

So I don't think it's all rose tinted glasses for nostalgia, we're also more used to being hamstrung by wonky mechanics and doofy engrish translations

I can imagine people who were weened on Fire Emblem Awakening being confused why I enjoy Shining Force so much. Hell Final Fantasy Tactics fans are probably likely to be confused by my enjoyment of it, and they're only a generation apart. There was a lot of limitations I was okay with at the time, and some of that never really went away. I'm okay with limitations still if they're worked around well enough

Throwback games are only as good as their gimmick

But I also know there were some great things developed in that generation that we either still rely on, or have even forgotten were great in the first place

Like ... a good turn-based combat system. The company that originally mastered the craft had to be reminded of its merits... Which still blows my mind, but at least it happened. And from a game that pulled heavily from that era

I think FFVI would still hold up for me. My girlfriend never played that era much until she met me and had access to more games both old and new, and played the DS version of Chrono Trigger and loved it. She's ten years younger than me, and only barely grew up in the PS1 era. Mostly enjoyed PS2 and beyond. And still finds charm in things she was never exposed to in her childhood. Like Baldur's Gate and their ilk. She only got introduced to that stuff a few years ago and adores those games

So I think the cream will definitely float. But I still acknowledge that we've definitely refined a few things. Sad that it's balanced out by also forgetting a few things

Either way, i look forward to how this experiment plays out