Thread: Unpopular Soundtrack Opinions!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If more people think that One Winged Angel is better, that is the popular opinion. This thread is about opinions that aren't that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If more people think that One Winged Angel is better, that is the popular opinion. This thread is about opinions that aren't that.
    I even left you a google link. There is not a single definition I have found that shows that two things cannot be popular at the same time, even if compared. You are taking it to the extreme. It is like saying out of a guy with 1.000.005 $ and one with 1.000.000 $ the one with five dollars less is the poor one. So, One-Winged Angel is generally very, very much liked but Birth of a God is also heavily liked and thought of by many, many people as better than One-Winged Angel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

- XII, XIII, and XV - some of the best soundtracks in the series, IMO, and none of them done by Uematsu
    I actually agree on this point. =x Particularly XII & XIII (the full XIII trilogy, really). I've yet to have a real opportunity to evaluate XV's soundtrack. Effectively I think that the soundtracks of I-X are only truly memorable because of how well the music fitted to the game, but when you actually consider just listening to the music for the sake of listening to music, XII and XIII are easily the top dogs. This really got drummed home with FFXV's car radio, in which the modern music was just so much better to listen to.

Also, while XIV has some good stuff and the occasional excellent piece, the vast majority of the music is extremely forgettable. Those pieces that are not forgettable tend to be memorable for the wrong reasons more often than not. Like with the earlier games, if you take the music away from the game, it isn't half as good.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I even left you a google link. There is not a single definition I have found that shows that two things cannot be popular at the same time, even if compared. You are taking it to the extreme. It is like saying out of a guy with 1.000.005 $ and one with 1.000.000 $ the one with five dollars less is the poor one. So, One-Winged Angel is generally very, very much liked but Birth of a God is also heavily liked and thought of by many, many people as better than One-Winged Angel.
    I think I understand what you're trying to say. You're suggesting that Birth of a God is still popular and therefore can't be an "unpopular" opinion. However if a vast majority of people prefer one thing to another, that becomes the de facto popular opinion. All other opinions become unpopular by default. So even if there are quite a few people that prefer BoaG to OWA, they are outnumbered and their opinion is unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    - XII, XIII, and XV - some of the best soundtracks in the series, IMO, and none of them done by Uematsu
    I actually agree on this point. =x Particularly XII & XIII (the full XIII trilogy, really). I've yet to have a real opportunity to evaluate XV's soundtrack. Effectively I think that the soundtracks of I-X are only truly memorable because of how well the music fitted to the game, but when you actually consider just listening to the music for the sake of listening to music, XII and XIII are easily the top dogs. This really got drummed home with FFXV's car radio, in which the modern music was just so much better to listen to.
    I definitely agree with your point about XIII's OST. Hamauzu did an unbelievable job with it. I really hope he gets to compose the next mainline FF game.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I think I understand what you're trying to say. You're suggesting that Birth of a God is still popular and therefore can't be an "unpopular" opinion. However if a vast majority of people prefer one thing to another, that becomes the de facto popular opinion. All other opinions become unpopular by default. So even if there are quite a few people that prefer BoaG to OWA, they are outnumbered and their opinion is unpopular.
    I never even denied that. My post is there to adress the point that is already contained within your post: The majority is not as vast as you people might think. One-Winged Angel is a lot morer popular. But when it comes to high numbers the difference might just be as significant as with low numbers. Millionare example again - A guy with 50.000.000 obviously has more than a guy with 49.000.000. Obviously a million is a lot of money. But it does not really matter at this point anymore, calling the 49m guy "poor" in comparison is an extreme exaggeration. I would agree if it were a .... 50.000.000. VS ... way less comparison (and even then at this point there is some weird feeling to call the person poor in comparison but whatever, with way less I can agree). There must be a lot more for an "More popular VS less popular" to become a "Popular VS Unpopular". Everything else might result in a very, very extreme way of rating. And that is the same here. I have seen and read of so many people who just think Birth of a God is much better than One-Winged Angel, that it does not matter anymore. It is like people claiming "Uh, FFVI is so underrated and VII is such overrated trout" when in reality this anti-hype hype opinion has been established so much over the last 10 to 15 years that FFVI cannot even be underrated anymore and VII not be overrated.

And yes, I also want Hamauzu-san to come back for some music.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 01-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Most of the FF spinoffs have better soundtracks than the main games. Bravely Default, the Tactics games, Crystal Chronicles, etcetera...

Not actually sure if it's true or not, was just thinking back on some of the spinoffs and how much I adore some of the tracks there. Too busy/stressed to actually come to a definitive personal opinion on the subject.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I may be biased being a guitarist... but FFXV has a better soundtrack than any of the main entries by a country mile!!