Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Unpopular Soundtrack Opinions!

So we've had a whole lot of unpopular opinion threads in the past, so I thought it would be nice to have one devoted specifically to the music of FF, since many people have ~opinions~ on these!

Here's mine:

- I don't think the IV and VIII have the best soundtracks. I honestly think they're some of the weakest, even though I know a lot of people consider them exceptional. I disagree
    - Parts of IX's soundtrack are amazing. Other parts are simply atrocious
    - The best parts of X's soundtrack were written by Hamauzu, not Uematsu
    - In general, I don't think Uematsu is a better composer than others who have handled the series
    - XI had the best Prelude
    - XV has the best "Final Fantasy" theme
    - II had the best world map theme
    - The Balamb Garden theme and Man with the Machine Gun are ludicrously overrated
    - One-Winged Angel is nowhere near the best final battle theme in the series
    - The Extreme is really good
    - Suteki Da Ne is bad
    - XIII-2's soundtrack isn't that good. It has its moments, but I still consider it one of the weaker parts of the series, especially coming right after one of the series' best
    - XII, XIII, and XV - some of the best soundtracks in the series, IMO, and none of them done by Uematsu

- Hamauzu shouldn't even be in charge of spin-offs, let alone anything from the main series
    - Dancing Mad is good in places but drags on too much in others
    - Maybe I'm A Lion is just...meh.
    - Uematsu may have created most of the best pieces in the series, but he is also responsible for the absolute worst one: Djose Temple.
    - Suteki Da Ne is good as long as you don't understand the words. The lyrics, however, are atrocious. Especially in English because it was translated literally. "Wind and my heart swimming in collected words, moved by the wind in through the world. Clouds like the voice that we all recognise, carry the holding future".
    - The FFXII soundtrack sounds like the composer threw an orchestra down the stairs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I almost forgot!

- FFX's regular battle theme is literally the worst thing to ever happen to an FF soundtrack. And that's counting the overall terrible X-2 soundtrack.

- Prefer The Extreme over OWA and Dancing Mad.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm not a big fan of Aria di Mezzo Carattere. And I've heard the thing live at Distant Worlds too. Sorry, I want to get it but I just don't. Though with that said I kinda like Celes's Theme itself so I guess I'm weird.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    - Prefer The Extreme over OWA and Dancing Mad.
    Same. Also Battle for Freedom from XII ranks among the best final boss themes.

FFV: The Decisive Battle is better than Battle on the Big Bridge.

FFX-2: Eternity -Orchestra Performs- is better than Eternity -Memory of Lightwaves-.

Besides those I think my soundtrack opinions are pretty popular overall.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

• FFIII had the best OST of the NES entries.
    • VIII, X, and XIII's OSTs are overrated.
    • Masashi Hamauzu has never made a great soundtrack. Some good pieces certainly, but his soundtracks are always lacking.
    • Nobuo Uematsu's last great soundtrack was VII, he has been unable to compose a complete OST of it's caliber since.
    • With the above statement in mind, V, VI, and VII still have their fair share of duds in their respective soundtracks, I'm looking at you Kids Running Through the Streets, Four Heroes, and Fort Condor to name a few.
    • Final Fantasy needs an expressive, personal soundtrack, not an atmospheric one. It's weakest OSTs are the ones that go for background atmosphere over driving melodies that steal the scene.
    • Blinded by Light is not the best battle theme in the series.
    • FFX's battle theme is the worst in the series.
    • The Extreme is a great track...for the first minute and forty seconds. Once the main theme kicks in it starts to sound like what should have been FFVIII's actual main battle theme since it becomes a bit forgettable but still keeps up energy.
    • The English version of Melodies of Life is better than the Japanese version.
    • Melodies of Life should have been the last FF song. X's theme is awful and XII and XIII's were utterly forgettable and never gelled well with the rest of the soundtrack. Even Stand By Me from XV comes across a bit too much like SE trying too hard.
    • FFX's cast has the worst character themes in the series.
    • XIII's are surprisingly good if poorly utilized.
    • VII has the best Normal Boss theme and Fanfare in the series.
    • The VIII demo has the best Prelude theme.
    • The Demo version of Raid on Dollet is way better than The Landing.
    • IX has the best use of the Final Fantasy Theme.
    • XIV has a better OST than XI. XI's is surprisingly boring.
    • Most of Yoko Shimomura's best work have been her non-FF/KH work.

-Final Fantasy II has the best regular battle theme.
    -XII's Battle for Freedom is possibly the best final boss theme in an FF.
    -I don't really like J-E-N-O-V-A. It's not bad or anything, just don't think it's special. Remakes like The Black Mages' version have improved it.
    -I absolutely love Jenova Absolute however and think it's way better than the normal theme.
    -VIII's The Legendary Beast is better than the other three final boss themes.
    -I don't really like Man with the Machine Gun. I prefer VIII's normal fight theme.
    -VIi's Off the Edge of Despair might be the single most underrated song in the series.
    -To Zanarkand is a boring song that only works in the context of the game. On its own, very uninspired.
    -IV has some of the best boss music in the series. I'd place it in Top 3.
    -VIII has the worst town themes ever.
    -Best vocal songs/ballads in the series are either 1000 Words or Noel's Theme.

Articles
    Blog Entries

- FFX's standard battle theme isn't that bad, just very forgettable and repetitive and worse: you know it is repeating. I'd actually say FFX-2's standard battle theme is worse, but at this point we're splitting hairs.

- Having listened to Forsaken Lover's suggestion of 'Off the Edge of Despair', I actually agree. Maybe not 'the most underrated track in the series', but it is definitely up there, somewhere. That base note gives it a rather creepy sound, while the more 'twinkly' sound provides some dissonance.

- Probably not an unpopular opinion, but I agree with Kanno that FFVII has the best standard boss music. When I think of an FF boss, that is the music that pops into my head.

- I honestly can't decide which version of Eternity from FFX-2 is better. I might give the edge to Memory of Lightwaves, but it is pretty damn close.

- Not a fan of Dancing Mad. It goes on waaaaay too long.

- I smurfing hate Man with the Machine Gun from FFVIII. And that isn't because I cannot play that song on Ultimate difficulty on Theatrhythm.

- Suteki Da Ne is good if you don't know the words, I agree.

- Having just listened to it and remembered what the tune is, I actually rather like Djose Temple's theme. Not sure it fits the area, but the theme by itself is fine.

- Probably my most controversial opinion is that I don't really find the FFXII soundtrack to be that good. It has moments like any OST does, but it clunks, primarily in the overworld themes. It's either too orchestral and bombastic, or too... forgettable. I feel like I have to play the game again to really judge it properly, because I am going on memory, but that's part of the point in itself.

I'm starting to feel that my love of FFX's battle theme is actually the unpopular opinion here xD

It's a ddcent enough song. I don't have any problems with it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I hate Suteki De Ne.
    Mystic Quest has the best Battle Theme, Boss Battle, and Final Boss Theme. Final Dungeon theme is good too.
    Maker's Ruin is one of the best pieces from XIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'm starting to feel that my love of FFX's battle theme is actually the unpopular opinion here xD
    Right? I love it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I love the FF13-2 soundtrack. I listen to it in my car all the time.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I love the FF13-2 soundtrack. I listen to it in my car all the time.
    This is the correct opinion and most people have it.

• While I love One-Winged Angel and have nothing against it being used in other installments I think it gets way too much focus when compared to Those Chosen by the Planet, the actual character theme of Sephiroth, something that many don't even know which is even more proof how criminically underused it is
    • My Hands is not even close to be a good replacement for Kimi ga iru kara, one of the best things music-wise in Final Fantasy ever
    • Apparently Legendary Beast and Maybe I'm a Lion are totally popular. Legendary Beast is okay and Maybe I'm a Lion is very cool but nothing compared to other Final Battle themes. Premonition and The Extreme are way better.
    • X-Death's "Decisive Battle" is a very weird Final Battle Theme. The actual Final Battle Theme of Neo X-Death blows it away with ease.
    • While Dancing Mad is nice I only really like the final part with Kefka's super form. Not that I dislike the other parts but as with FFVIII, the final part blows the rest away.
    • The Overworld Theme and Normal and Boss Battle Theme of FFIII are criminally underrated.
    • Final Fantasy XV has a nice soundtrack but a great deal of it is too subtle for me. The best for me are the battle themes and of course stuff like Stand by Me and Final Fantasy.
    • The best Prelude is in no Final Fantasy, it is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4reZp854LZg
    • Fitting for that the best Prelude in a Final Fantasy itself is either the one from VII or XII
    • The best Final Fantasy Theme is either from XII or XV ... though it doesn't really matter because I all love them so much
    • Kimi ga iru kara is the best song for Final Fantasy. One-Winged Angel not counted. Kimi ga iru kara auto-sold FFXIII for me, just as the Prelude and Final Fantasy did for XII. By "sold" of course I mean "I love it already".
    • Final Fantasy VI's "Decisive Battle" is almost as good as "Those who fight further". Overall VI has an incredible Battle Score only tainted by the normal battle theme. Decisive Battle, Fierce Battle and Dancing Mad though are all godly. Individually they are not unpopular but that entire opinion of them being some of the best I guess is not that common.
    • I like Fina Fantasy X's battle theme. It reminds me of battles in summer on a beach.
    • I like Blinded by Light much but even though the XIII trilogy is my rank 2 Final Fantasy it does not come close to a lot of others.
    • The Last Hunter is one of the best battle themes in Final Fantasy
    • Caius' Final Battle Theme is nice but not really one of the best. Neo X-Death, Final Kefka, Sepher Sephiroth, True Ultimecia, SSJ4 Kuja, Seymour Omnis/Braska's Final Aeon/Yevon=Ju and (SPOILER)Ardyn have better ones.
    • It kills me to say this but probably FFVII's Main Theme is not my most favourite Overwolrd Theme. It more likely is Terra's Theme. But it is a tough one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75QC59i-dIY Then there is also Over the Hill ...
    • Forever Rachel is one of the best themes ever written in any video game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjA8DWeYDk (yes, that is fan-made but it only makes better what is fantastic anyway).
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-09-2016 at 09:19 AM.