Thread: Spiderman: Homecoming

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well I am hoping Keaton breathes life into a traditionally lame villain but then again Jaime Foxx was not able to...

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Bump - out this week!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

*MINOR SPOILERS!*

(mostly copy & paste from Discord)

I went to see the movie today. It was amazingly good, Marvel is quite stable in terms of quality. I'm not sure if it was as good as Raimi's Spider-Man 2, but Holland played the part really well. The high school setting was maybe a bit awkward since it was much more of a high school teen movie than the previous Spidey films (which were high school with 20+ y.o. students ). However, it was still a pretty fun movie, and there was amazingly much character development (although Raimi's SM2 just can't be beat in the sheer amount of character development, IMHO). Iron-Man doesn't steal the show too much, fortunately, but I liked the friendly AI integrated in the Spidey suite. I didn't know until after the movie, but Karen (the AI) is voiced by Jennifer Connelly, who's the real-life wife of Paul "Jarvis/Vision" Bettany.

I was worried that the trailers had given out the whole movie. From the trailers, it looks like Spider-Man tries to prove himself to Tony Stark, then early/halfway in the movie, he fails at the ship (this doesn't actually happen early/halfway, but (SPOILER)around the 2/3-3/4 mark), and then there's the final battle at the airplane. However, I was glad to find out that the trailers were somewhat misleading. Most of the movie focuses on Peter's struggle with trying to break through as a hero to the people, trying to control his powers better (and later the new suit), trying to balance his normal life and his superhero life, and being a smart but socially awkward kid who gets bullied and who has a crush on his classmate (SPOILER)(it's not MJ or Gwen this time). As I said, Holland presents all of these Peter Parker traits in a credible and likable way, unlike Tobey Maguire (who was nerdy and weepy, but that's all) and Andrew Garfield (who was way too confident as Peter, but still a better Spidey than Tobey). The Stark angle is in a smaller role than the trailers depict, while the Vulture is much more prominent in the movie than what you'd expect from the trailers.

Be sure to stay for the end credits, as there's two extra scenes, and the latter was such trolling that it made our audience laugh and applaud.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I mean, it looks good. All Marvel movies do.

Am I going to see it in the cinema? Nope.
    Watched at the weekend.

The worst movie I've seen this year.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You can't have seen many films this year then
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I mean, it looks good. All Marvel movies do.

Am I going to see it in the cinema? Nope.
    Watched at the weekend.

The worst movie I've seen this year.
    I wouldn't say worst. I just think too many movies have been made. On one hand, congrats on the MCU being a thing. When I first heard about the concept back when they started it all with Iron Man, I never thought it worked. When it did I had fun with it. Now, even when a movie is competently made, a lot of the magic is lost. That's why movies like the newest Thor movie looks so over the top. Don't get me wrong, that one looks fun, but that's because only one other Marvel series (Guardians of the Galaxy) carries that sort of vibe. These movies have no choice but to ramp things up now. Though when THAT gets old, not sure what they are going to do.

It will never happen but they really should be thinking about closing it all off at some point because otherwise there will be a point where these movies sort of run out of steam and the universe awkwardly ends. Don't anyone tell me the next Avengers movie will close things off. It will probably be the last movie for a couple of stars, but Marvel will keep things going.

The train looks like this though: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

so I guess it is hard to fault them.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've seen plenty of movies this year, thanks!

I really didn't enjoy it at all - I get why a lot of people did, I really do.

But it didn't do anything for me. When they had such a diverse supporting cast, why not make the Miles Morales Spiderman? I didn't like the love interest, Zendaya's MJ was.... a thing I guess. The Vulture was not that great of a villain. I didn't like the AI suit. What I didn't like far far outweighed what I did like.

If I had to pick one thing I liked it was Jon Favreau's Happy character.