Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to easily improve the story? Spoilers within!

Also I thought it was one of the better ideas that it is the final stop. And it got even more touching that it was only possible after a time skip. The city itself could still have had more story scenes once you were there. What they could have done for Insomnia though, as Umbra does no literal time travelling but "revisting memories" as it was called, so basically just pseudo-time travelling, that you would have been able to do something in Past Insomnia in one of the final chapters and then in chapter 15 of course as well.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I mean, I'm sure they could have managed it at a stretch, but the place was crawling with daemons and empire troops last I saw and I don't think it looked like there would be anything there but a fancy looking Fortress dungeon.
    Which is precisely why I ask: What about the millions of people who lived in the Crown City? Where did they go? What happened to them? If Noctis, their Prince/King, doesn't even care, what hope do we have?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I mean, I'm sure they could have managed it at a stretch, but the place was crawling with daemons and empire troops last I saw and I don't think it looked like there would be anything there but a fancy looking Fortress dungeon.
    Which is precisely why I ask: What about the millions of people who lived in the Crown City? Where did they go? What happened to them? If Noctis, their Prince/King, doesn't even care, what hope do we have?
    Well, some evacuated as we saw at the end of Kingsglaive. It is safe to say that a lot died from WEAPON and MagiTek.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

They were probably all killed and/or turned into daemons. =|

But yeah, it's not a bad point. I too would like to know what happened there. I figured those people who were meeting Luna to get healed were probably refugees from Lucis (or at least, partially).

Still, it's not exactly unheard of in Final Fantasy games for a city to get wrecked and for there to be no notable amount of survivors.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Still, it's not exactly unheard of in Final Fantasy games for a city to get wrecked and for there to be no notable amount of survivors.
    I'm always surprised how many survived Cleyra. I mean it basically got nuked.

Articles

Then show us! The genocide of millions of people is an unspeakable atrocity. I don't think it should be casually dismissed.

Show what? How people get fried by Diamond Flash? No thank you.

Articles

Nah, nothing so crude. Show Noctis and other people actually giving a trout. Look at how things are whenever a major terrorist attack occurs - it's all people can talk about for days afterwards and a general atmosphere of fear prevails. Not "oh man my wife just got a promotion lol!" or "Saw a Magitek trooper the other day CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!" etc. And yes, refugees and survivors throughout the Leide and Duscae regions.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, i know I haven't played the game, but from what I gathered, the story has a tight focus on Noctis' personal journey. Not saying what occured in the game was done well (because I don;t know, I just know raw facts), but in general, speaking from experience, it's always better to know what your story is about and focus on that rather than show everything you can just so you can tick stuff off of a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Honestly, i know I haven't played the game, but from what I gathered, the story has a tight focus on Noctis' personal journey. Not saying what occured in the game was done well (because I don;t know, I just know raw facts), but in general, speaking from experience, it's always better to know what your story is about and focus on that rather than show everything you can just so you can tick stuff off of a list.
    The problem is it is really narrowed down extremely. Noctis' story part being the main focus is no problem at all. That can be done as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course, you played the game and you know better than me. There is such a thing as too much focus. But personally, from what I know, at least, it doesn't feel like seeing what happened to the people of Insomnia is that relevant to this story, especially since, like you all say, it's perfectly easy to infer what happened.

Of course, you played the game and you know better than me. There is such a thing as too much focus. But personally, from what I know, at least, it doesn't feel like seeing what happened to the people of Insomnia is that relevant to this story, especially since, like you all say, it's perfectly easy to infer what happened.
    And even Noctis' story could easily be more.

It really is such a pity. That is also why that Update from Tabata-san made me really glad.

Articles

But personally, from what I know, at least, it doesn't feel like seeing what happened to the people of Insomnia is that relevant to this story, especially since, like you all say, it's perfectly easy to infer what happened.
    As far as the personal story goes, yes, it should be relevant! It's the story of how Noctis transforms from Prince to King - King of what, exactly? Can this bratty teenage punk become a man, a leader that people rally around? He's a bit pissed off about his Dad dying, briefly, and that's mostly because he didn't tell him the trout was about to hit the proverbial. That's it. How does he cope with the adversity of seeing the people he is supposed to be protecting suffering and there is nothing he can do? I don't know because it seems like he doesn't care and as such I wouldn't want him anywhere near the throne.

But even more important than that, it's about world building. The world is meant to be one of the stars of the game. How can I get invested in this game and believe this fantasy world - "based on reality" - is possible when something as catastrophic as war isn't really a thing? But look, even if we go with the idea that it's Noctis's story so we don't need to dedicate lots of story time to the war, can't we devote some sidequest time instead? Oh boy, this chef needs you to buy a tomato! Wacky Italian guy wants you to find a gemstone! This random guy's car's broken down! How about instead some refugees need you to get them some water? How about a lost child who got separated during the evacuation wants you to find her parents? Same for marks - how about instead of killing a random monster you go to an Imperial Prison Camp and kill some Magitek troops to rescue some suffering Insomnians? Exactly the same gameplay - "go here and get/kill thing X" but it actually has some wider significance and meaning.

Sounds not too bad. And you can still have that other stuff.