Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 13 (Spoilers)

Default Chapter 13 (Spoilers)

I've seen a lot of criticism levelled at this Chapter.

Is it just me who didn't think it was that bad, just a little overlong? I thought it was a nice change of pace (to quote Ignis).

Also - the Foras, was that meant to be the Emperor? That's a little disappointing too.

Otherwise, I thought it was fine.

By the way: I'm yet to finish the game (I'm at Chapter 15 just a little underlevelled) so no ending spoilers please, if it's relevant!
    Last edited by Kappy; 12-12-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Yes I also enjoyed it but thought it was too long.

And indeed, Iedolas was turned into that monster. I would not be too disappointed for long because we have yet to see which story additions await us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    I've seen a lot of criticism levelled at this Chapter.

Is it just me who didn't think it was that bad, just a little overlong? I thought it was a nice change of pace (to quote Ignis).
    Just a lot overlong!

Also - the Foras, was that meant to be the Emperor? That's a little disappointing too.
    Yup!

Also I hated how they took all your weapons away. Don't get me wrong, I understand why from a narrative perspective. But the combat system is the most fun part of the game and when you take that away it becomes not-so-fun. And the ring was not a very enjoyable replacement. My friend and I have been discussing how we would fix Chapter 13 and it essentially boils down to giving Noctis a gun (we thought that'd be interesting as it's probably one of the lesser used weapons in normal play), making the death spell more interesting to use and shortening all the half-hearted stealth sections.

Oh, there was a fight against that Gargantuan that I spent AGES trying to beat by just covering with Holy, only to find out that it's not bloody necessary

Oh, there was a fight against that Gargantuan that I spent AGES trying to beat by just covering with Holy, only to find out that it's not bloody necessary
    I deathed him.

Then he respawned.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Sorry Kappy, I enjoyed FFXV's gameplay overall but Chapter 13 was a trainwreck of a chapter, even moreso than the chapter with an actual trainwreck. I can roughly see what they were going for with it but they didn't succeed. I've never been a fan of games that give you a series of abilities, let you master them over the course of the game, then suddenly snatch them away again. I was having fun with those abilities and powers! You don't need to take them away from me and stop them having fun!

I got sort of a Resident Evil vibe to the chapter with the jumpscares of shock troopers coming back to life, the key puzzles and the logs about experiments. Let's work with that! Go all out horror. Replace the generic lab corridors with some truly messed up and scary stuff. They're experimenting on people and turning into daemons? That's horrifying, make me feel horrified! Show me the consequences!

The stealth element to it has to go. Aren't we past the era of games needing an arbitrary stealth section now? A couple of alcoves to hide in down a long corridor is just boring. Not enough options or variety involved. Once you were rumbled by an axe man you may as well just drop the controller. Fleeing, a mechanic which has been available throughout the entire game, was simply not possible as their aggro zone covered the whole base area. You're left trying to fight and it's not pretty.

I agree with what you said about its length!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Sorry Kappy, I enjoyed FFXV's gameplay overall but Chapter 13 was a trainwreck of a chapter, even moreso than the chapter with an actual trainwreck. I can roughly see what they were going for with it but they didn't succeed. I've never been a fan of games that give you a series of abilities, let you master them over the course of the game, then suddenly snatch them away again. I was having fun with those abilities and powers! You don't need to take them away from me and stop them having fun!

I got sort of a Resident Evil vibe to the chapter with the jumpscares of shock troopers coming back to life, the key puzzles and the logs about experiments. Let's work with that! Go all out horror. Replace the generic lab corridors with some truly messed up and scary stuff. They're experimenting on people and turning into daemons? That's horrifying, make me feel horrified! Show me the consequences!

The stealth element to it has to go. Aren't we past the era of games needing an arbitrary stealth section now? A couple of alcoves to hide in down a long corridor is just boring. Not enough options or variety involved. Once you were rumbled by an axe man you may as well just drop the controller. Fleeing, a mechanic which has been available throughout the entire game, was simply not possible as their aggro zone covered the whole base area. You're left trying to fight and it's not pretty.

I agree with what you said about its length!
    Oh you guys.

You have never finished Pitioss Ruins and Menace below Steyliff and below Castlemark.

Chapter 13 is a blessing of Yevon.

Articles

Actually I have just completed Costlemark Tower and I preferred it to Chapter 13. Just. Those infinite spawning thunder bombs was a terrible design decision. The primary difference though is that it's entirely optional and not part of the main game.

Actually I have just completed Costlemark Tower and I preferred it to Chapter 13. Just. Those infinite spawning thunder bombs was a terrible design decision. The primary difference though is that it's entirely optional and not part of the main game.
    Menace sleeping below Costlemark.

That is not what you did.

Level 99, No Item, 60 Floors.

And Steyliff allows Items but has 100 Floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I deathed him.

Then he respawned.
    Yeah I used Alterna on him once and he immediately came back, so I figured I had to beat him manually. Turns out he had nothing to do with progressing and you just needed to sneak by him.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Menace sleeping below Costlemark.

That is not what you did.

Level 99, No Item, 60 Floors.

And Steyliff allows Items but has 100 Floors.
    Well, that's the beauty of them being optional. They don't sound like fun so I'm not going to play them

Probably one of the worst chapters in the history of Final Fantasy.

I can totally see what they were going for with this chapter. Isolating Noctis, making the player feel completely alone and helpless. Yet they executed it so, so poorly. There have been some bad segments in past FF games, yet none have made me truly want a chapter to end like XV's 13 did.

I also feel it's kind of a showcase of the game's lost identity. Stealth segments? Jump scares? I wasn't even sure I was playing a Final Fantasy game.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I liked the part where there are bunk beds in Umbrella Corp.

It was rubbish. Like it was said earlier, I get the overall idea behind Chapter 13 but it was executed so poorly. The fact that you can't use your weapons was the first annoyance. Then there was the constant monologue of Ardyn. I found that to be very bothersome. The camera kept getting stuck during some of the battles in the corridors too.

If I was weak I would have the quit the game because of this chapter.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I honestly just rumbled all of the Axe guys and flat-out ignored the stealth element apart from when it came to the Iron Giant. The Axe guys have a very obvious attack animation, so it was very easy to just time button presses to kill them with Holy.

I do agree that the chapter was one of good ideas but not very good implementation, that definitely went on for way too long. Like Psy said they could've done so much more with showing something more horrific, especially as the entire point of the chapter is just to introduce the Ring of the Lucii's abilities and show Ardyn toying with Noctis. All the logs you read sound horrific, but then the only remotely horrific things you see are Foras and mutant Ravus and it's just "eh."