Thread: The Perfect Game

Default The Perfect Game

In today's online world that I see, it seems a lot of people including myself talk about subjective and objective value soooooooooo much, that a lot of us tend to forget a key fundamental aspect that is pretty important to entertainment media. Enjoyment factor. I can even feel that I have often put it on the backburner when it's come to objective things that could be pointed at in something. I saw a video today that made me really think on this, and the person does make valid points imo. Sure, the focus is primarily anime related, but it can be used for different media formats as well.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Banned

It really depends on what type of game it is - I will focus on the action platform genre right now, since that's one of my favourite genres.

In my opinion, the Contra games are pretty much the perfect standard for any action game - you can shoot in all 8 directions, they are very challenging without becoming frustrating, and you can move around very easily.
    I like how Contra games allow you to jump down ledges by just holding Down and pressing Jump, there really is no reason to not have that option.
    Also, those games have several different weapons available, especially in the fantastic game "Contra: Hard Corps", which in my opinion is the prime example of the optimal platform action game.

Basically, I think that the player should have a ton of different ways to move around and get powerups etc - you can easily compensate for these advantages by making the game extra challenging.
    The player should never be crippled, you should always have full control of the character and be able to do a bunch of different things.

Another thing that I think is a major bonus in these kinds of games is when you can play CoOperative mode with a friend;
    you know what I mean, that mode when both of you play together at the same time without any breaks.
    For some reason this seems annoyingly uncommon in space shooters - "R-Type 3" for the SNES would be awesome if you could play two persons at the same time! - but at least "Life Force" for the NES included that mode.

Also, the music is very, very important - personally I usually lose interest in a game if the music isn't good enough, it's like the heart and soul of a game to me.
    And it shouldn't just be filler music either, it should be music with strong melodies that have been composed with enough passion to be independent of their respective games.
    In this case, the Final Fantasy games are good examples of the importance of a good soundtrack.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 12-17-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ocarina of time
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like Enjoyment/fun factor is the ultimate topic of subjectivity on the topic of what makes a game good. People have various tastes, and what might be the coolest thing ever for one person is quite possibly the lamest thing for another. I feel the most important thing on that subject is simply understanding that there is no objective truth, and to avoid taking a partisan position that can potentially shut out the potential to experience new things and grow as a person/gamer/entity.

I consider Chrono Trigger to be the perfect RPG, but I'm sure that half the forum could come up with several valid reasons why stating that CT is objectively the greatest RPG ever made would be incorrect. Dissent alone shows that there is no right answer, but I like the fact we can still discuss the merits and flaws of the various mediums we enjoy. I like that these discussions can sometimes help us find new understanding about the things we love and hate, and while they may never change our stance on the matter, they can still help us find new ways to enjoy and think about about the games we all love so much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Umineko is my perfect game and I'm likely not gonna budge from that position for a couple more years. I'm sure it'll be something else eventually though. But for now, 11/10 it is.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

For me a perfect game must have a great story with it. Doesn't have to have a ton of dialog but must have a great story that will suck you into it. I like to feel like I am the main charictor going through the story, and lose myself in it. Like Wolf pointed out Chrono Trigger, they did a great job in that. Silent protagonist never made you feel like you were saying something that drew you out of the story. Fable also did this well early as your choices would either make you good, or evil and the world around you shifted into what you chose.

Music is also very important. Like Peter mentioned. Where he said it was the heart and soul of the game, it is true. It can change the mood you feel at anytime helping you understand and feel what the developers are wishing you to feel at that moment. It is a simple yet proven way to keep you engaged in the story, while aiding you in the way you should feel at the time. RPG's do this well using Chrono Trigger yet again as an example, when going through the future the music is dreary like there is no hope. Once Crono, Lucca, and Merle decide they must do something the music changes yet again to a victory upbeat music that pulls you in the direction of we can do this! Though before you head back to the present the dreary music will play again showing you you are not there yet and you must work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I consider Chrono Trigger to be the perfect RPG, but I'm sure that half the forum could come up with several valid reasons why stating that CT is objectively the greatest RPG ever made would be incorrect.
    Yes, but they'd be wrong.

Don't think I've ever played a perfect game. Even one perfect just for me.

Final Fantasy IX is my favourite game, but even in that there are elements that take me out of it. The dumb Trance system, the slow ATB, certain annoying puzzles/dungeons, that bloody card game, Eiko in general. QUINA.

I think the closest I've ever gotten to a 'Perfect' game in that it achieves exactly what it is designed to do 100% of the time... I'd have to say the best two candidates are Rollercoaster Tycoon and Super Hexagon.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Perfect games only exist in the mind filled with nostalgia.