Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DuckTales

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Well no promises but I will reach out to Toks. If that doesn't work, I will bug her husband Sean which is how I know her. Give her a few days as she has to get it past her publicist and what not.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    I have always kind of envied English-speaking people for having grown up with the original English "DuckTales".
    The Swedish lyrics are okay and fairly catchy I guess, but they are nowhere near as good as the English lyrics IMO, and they don't even have that "DuckTales!" part in the beginning of the chorus.

You may not treasure the English version as much as I do since you grew up with it and got used to it, but the first time I heard the English lyrics in their entirety it felt like a huge revelation, and ever since then I have refused to watch that show in any other language than English.

Same thing can be said about the Disney characters themselves, by the way - the names "Donald Duck", "Scrooge McDuck", "Glandstone Gander", "Gus Goose" etc are perfect, I really like those frequent allitterations and how their surnames define what animals they are supposed to be, and none of those two things are anywhere near as common in the Swedish versions - there are hardly any allitterations at all, and only a handful of the characters have "animal surnames".
    And the "Beagle Boys" got messed up as well and were confused with bears for some reason.
    The Dutch names were pretty on point as well: Donald duck, Dagobert Duck (scrooge, for some reason not Mc), Guus Gans, etc. They basically kept the names that would change too much the same, and the others they changed to the Dutch version. The song even worked pretty well.

Still, English version is better. I still need to find those "The life of Scrooge Mcduck 1-10" comics somewhere. The one we had were all torn up from reading.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The life of Scrooge McDuck is a fantastic series.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    David Tennant !

Hopefully he sounds like the original Scrooge though.
    Probably not, as he'll actually sound scottish, unlike the original scrooge
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    I have always kind of envied English-speaking people for having grown up with the original English "DuckTales".
    The Swedish lyrics are okay and fairly catchy I guess, but they are nowhere near as good as the English lyrics IMO, and they don't even have that "DuckTales!" part in the beginning of the chorus.

You may not treasure the English version as much as I do since you grew up with it and got used to it, but the first time I heard the English lyrics in their entirety it felt like a huge revelation, and ever since then I have refused to watch that show in any other language than English.

Same thing can be said about the Disney characters themselves, by the way - the names "Donald Duck", "Scrooge McDuck", "Glandstone Gander", "Gus Goose" etc are perfect, I really like those frequent allitterations and how their surnames define what animals they are supposed to be, and none of those two things are anywhere near as common in the Swedish versions - there are hardly any allitterations at all, and only a handful of the characters have "animal surnames".
    And the "Beagle Boys" got messed up as well and were confused with bears for some reason.
    The Dutch names were pretty on point as well: Donald duck, Dagobert Duck (scrooge, for some reason not Mc), Guus Gans, etc. They basically kept the names that would change too much the same, and the others they changed to the Dutch version. The song even worked pretty well.

Still, English version is better. I still need to find those "The life of Scrooge Mcduck 1-10" comics somewhere. The one we had were all torn up from reading.
    Yeah I do understand some Dutch actually, since I used to study German a lot back in school and Dutch is quite similar to German - and some of my favourite YouTube videos happen to have Dutch speakers, which motivated me to practise that language a bit as well - and I checked the Dutch lyrics a while ago, and they seemed cool;
    some of the parts were very similar to the English lyrics, and then I think there was also a line like "All that you have ever dreamed about happens in DuckTales" or something like that.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 12-21-2016 at 11:06 PM.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've yet to see a good reboot of a cartoon from my childhood but here's hoping.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I love the theme song to this show.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's nice to see that the majority of you seem to be looking positively at this (though, I respect the opinion of those who aren't). I think remakes/reboots/adaptations should be looked at positively myself, as they usually aren't made to spite the original or anything. I think doing your own take on something can be fun, so maybe at least some of the people who have done remakes/reboots/adaptation feel the same way?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have never seen the original, but seeing Bobby Moynihan and Beck Bennett in this kind of makes me wanna see this since I love both of those guys so much!

That looks pretty cool! Glad they're obviously unafraid to deviate from the original series to some extent, that's a good way to dissuade people from getting too hung up on comparisons.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Looks pretty good actually. So far it appears to be capturing the spirit of the original without simply being a carbon copy of it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

That's one crisp looking cartoon.

It looks a-amaaaaaaazing

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

It's already been approved for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I have never seen the original, but seeing Bobby Moynihan and Beck Bennett in this kind of makes me wanna see this since I love both of those guys so much!
    I watched the original when I was little, but couldn't remember much at all, and started to re-watch the older one today- the original is worth watching imo just for the experience. The animation is very cute and child-friendly, but then has moments like a mind- controlled Donald telling somebody to fed his own nephews to be eaten alive by vultures, and a shadow of Scrooge being strangled and the shadow of his body struggling and then flopping to the ground.

The original is pretty wild.