Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2016-17 NHL thread

Quote Originally Posted by jenovajunkie View Post
    The Leafs may be looking to trade JVR, Nylander; do you think there will bee any takers?

I was just thinking about when the Canucks had Luongo as a goalie, and when they had Miller. They were one of the hardest teams to score on.
    The Leafs are in the third year of their rebuild. Nylander was the first piece acquired in the rebuild, and JVR is still a young member of the core with a great contract.

It makes absolutely zero sense to trade either of them.

Toronto media just likes to make up random trout. All the time. I'm amazed people still buy into it.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Blog Entries

I think there may be potential to advance the rebuild. Lol well if I got positive ROI, I'd trade them. They are great players no doubt.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

I think there may be potential to advance the rebuild. Lol well if I got positive ROI, I'd trade them. They are great players no doubt.
    Brian Burke tried to advance the rebuild. He effectively traded Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Kessel. You don't trade picks or pieces that you've drafted and developed within your own system. That's incredibly dumb and doesn't work.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Scruff is right there. Though I could see them shopping JVR, I don't see them getting what they would want out of him. Other person Burke ditched to try and hurry the rebuild was Tukka Rask I think. He was a TOR draft pick. Honestly the fans understand a 5 year plan and will wait. You get rid of the band wagon jumpers but the core fans will stay. You start losing after a 10 year rebuild like EDM have proved.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Scruff is right there. Though I could see them shopping JVR, I don't see them getting what they would want out of him. Other person Burke ditched to try and hurry the rebuild was Tukka Rask I think. He was a TOR draft pick. Honestly the fans understand a 5 year plan and will wait. You get rid of the band wagon jumpers but the core fans will stay. You start losing after a 10 year rebuild like EDM have proved.
    I'm pretty sure the Rask trade was a JFJ deal. I actually have complete faith in this management group for the first time since the Sundin era. Shanahan, Babcock and Lou are all on board with the rebuild. They won't give in to impatient fans with a "win now" mentality. They're in it for the long term, and I couldn't be happier.

The Leafs trio of Nylander-Matthews-Marner are the foundation for the team going forward.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I was never a big fan as Burke as a GM. It seems every place he goes teams see some success at the start, but he leaves just as the wheels come off the wagon. In the end he ends up doing more damage then if they had someone in to just keep things building. Plus Dave Nonis always follows him around and does double damage to the team in his wake. Tough to bounce back from those two with power.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Brian Burke tried to advance the rebuild. He effectively traded Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Kessel. You don't trade picks or pieces that you've drafted and developed within your own system. That's incredibly dumb and doesn't work.
    You know my opinion on Kessel, and obviously someone didn't understand the long term game. So you're telling me that if you didn't get a nice return that worked with Toronto's strategy for JVR, you wouldn't take it?
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I doubt they will get a great return for JVR though. He isn't the type of player that will go to another team and change it from losing to a winning team. He is no Connor McDavid.

He he really is a 2nd line guy who has reached full maturity, and you may get a 1st round pick for him from a rental team. But only in his last year of his contract, and that would be more of a player tryout for him to see if he could help take them deep.

You know my opinion on Kessel, and obviously someone didn't understand the long term game. So you're telling me that if you didn't get a nice return that worked with Toronto's strategy for JVR, you wouldn't take it?
    I think JVR actually fits in with Toronto's long term goals. The core roster (Rielly, Marner, Matthews, Nylander) is really young. You need some veterans to help them develop, and while JVR is only 27, he's still one of the vets on the team. He's also not an elite player like Kessel who could fetch a decent stash of draft picks from a team looking to plug a hole.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Blog Entries

That's true, very true. Did you see last nights shootout between FLA and TOR? That was a great game. BUT tonight TOR plays TB, but Stampy is out. I think MON won vs TB last night, so we will see. FLA was noticeably more physical (by the numbers) they had the much more documented hits. TOR may be tired, didn't see the numbers with MON vs TB.

GO LEAFS GO.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Today the Leafs picked up Brian Boyle, and Vancouver trades Alex Burrows to Ottawa.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Today the Leafs picked up Brian Boyle, and Vancouver trades Alex Burrows to Ottawa.
    I legit read that as Brian Blessed.

I was gonna say he won't get across the ice very well but he'll certainly be a presence on your team.

IMG_6013.JPG

Real happy with the Boyle trade. It's a completely fair deal, and he could be the last piece the Leafs need to make the playoffs. He has a ton of playoff experience and can really provide some leadership for our rookies.

I honestly can't remember the last time the Leafs were buyers at the deadline, made good trades, and had players from other teams actually want to come here.

Great time to be a Leafs fan.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The big issue for you guys is he is purely a rental at the moment. Doubt he will be resigned with $2 mil towards the cap.

The big issue for you guys is he is purely a rental at the moment. Doubt he will be resigned with $2 mil towards the cap.
    Yeah definitely. If we fail to make the playoffs, the move is a bust for sure.

However if we manage to make it into the playoffs, I think this trade is a huge success. Playoff experience is going to seriously help with the development of our rookies.

Look at Toews and Kane from the Hawks in their early careers. They didn't make the playoffs until their sophomore seasons in 2009, and they made the Conference Finals that year. The next year they won the Cup. Crosby from the Pens made the playoffs in his sophomore season in 2007, made it to the Cup Finals in 2008, and won the Cup in 2009.

I don't have any expectation for the Leafs to make a deep run this year (if they make the playoffs), but getting that experience will be huge towards our team's ultimate goal of winning a Cup.

Pull my Devil Trigger!