Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Full Look at Dragon Quest XI Gameplay

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default First Full Look at Dragon Quest XI Gameplay

At the Recent Jump Festa event, Square Enix showed off the first footage of the next installment in the Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest XI. Lots of information was revealed during the stream showing the opening cinematic, a gameplay related video exploring the map and a town, and a cutscene introducing one of the game's party members, the thief Camus. Dragon Quest XI's director, Takeshi Uchikawa, said the following about the game's map, "It is a vast map comparable to previous Dragon Quest titles. It won’t betray your expectations.”

What is particularly interesting about the 3DS footage is that the two screens display the same information in two different engines. The top in a full 3D world with modern graphics and the bottom in classic sprite era graphics.

Dragon Quest XI will be the first DQ since VIII to release on a PlayStation platform. It will also be coming to the 3DS and the Switch. As of right now it is planned to release in Japan next year, but there is likely going to be a western release as well.

Last edited by Depression Moon; 12-18-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I look at Camus and all I see is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Future Gohan. That and the hero looks a little like Trunks has me sold on it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not sure how I feel about this. Toriyama's stylized art work doesn't really mesh as well with semi-hyper realistic cg like you would think it should. The horse and dog in the trailers look really surreal, same with the FF style landscapes crawling with the more cartoony Toriyama monsters.

The 3DS version is also a bit too busy for my taste and I wish the game would simply let you choose to play it in 3D or 2D and not try to do both.

Other than that, it looks pretty good, and I'm curious if the tree featured in the opening movie may be connected to the one in IX. Would be interesting to see the DQ team pull another I-III and IV-VI and have the last three titles interconnected.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The 3DS version is also a bit too busy for my taste and I wish the game would simply let you choose to play it in 3D or 2D and not try to do both.
    This is actually the case, as they've stated before. You start off with both and then you have to decide at a certain point.

I'm actually really loving all this so far! Here's hoping we won't have to wait too long for this to come out in the West!

EDIT:

Just noticed this!

So cute ! Can't wait to get this and just go around exploring on the horse

looks like dragon quest VI hero
    hephurm looks cool and like his design
    camille reminds old zenithia arc hero
    in summary i m so hyped and good job sqare enix i recover hope in this generation not apology of remakes for eixample toukiden riwani (toukiden psp original version japan exclusive) or translates type 0 final fantasy (along exist years ago in psp original version japan exclusive) in other words this generation its take of chance for translates psp japanese games and can play in our lenguage this is not bad idea but the fact is ¿its too late for try translate old psp games? the theory its ¿this generation tries translate suikoden tsumugareshi hyakunen no toki or 1&2)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    This is actually the case, as they've stated before. You start off with both and then you have to decide at a certain point.
    Or you could just look at one screen and not the other.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Or you could just look at one screen and not the other.
    Kind of hard to do that when your peripheral vision catches the movement from the other screen, course it's a moot point now since Fynn explained you can choose to stick with one eventually.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure you even have to decide on one, since the game just opens on both screens so that you can check it out, but then you just gotta go with one of the other. I don't think you can change that later.

Now this game opens up a whole sort of dilemmas for me. Should I get this for PS4 with its jaw-dropping graphics and iverworld that really reminds me of the best part of DQVIII, or the 3DS version for the portability and more traditional feel? And if I go for the 3DS version, should I go with the DQVII-like art style, or the old-timey 16bit sprites?

This is all too much for me. Ideally, I hope this would turn out to be completely different experiences so that I'd be justified in buying both, but it's hard to tell now

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually planning on the 3DS version and using the 16-bit graphics. DQ just feels better to me as an old school 2D experience.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can't believe they made it two ways. That is too cool. The 3D looks beautiful so I may have to go with that.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I were to get a Dragon Quest game, would this be a good start? Or is it better to start with one of the older ones.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think start with VIII. It's more modern and will be closer to other games you may have played but still has the classic charm. IV or V are also great alternatives.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The two styles gives it more replay value. I'd play it in 3D first then on my 2nd playthrough in 2D.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If I were to get a Dragon Quest game, would this be a good start? Or is it better to start with one of the older ones.
    You could do it like Del says, or you could start from the beginning, like I did, and let me tell you, it really gives you a nice sense of progression throughout the series and lets you appreciate the little things. If you do start from another game, just keep in min that I, II and III have to be played in order to fully appreciate, and the same goes for IV, V and VI, as while the series as a whole is pretty much like FF in that they're all separate stories with separate worlds, these two trilogies actually have games that form a much deeper connection even in story, especially the first trilogy.

The first three games are available on mobile (and if you decide to emulate them instead, go for the SNES versions), while IV, V and VI are available there as well, and in DS. VII and VIII are on 3DS (VIII coming out in January, unless you go with the PS2 original), while IX is on DS. X still hasn't released outside of Japan, but the chances are growing, judging by the release of VII and VIII on 3DS and the fact that China is getting the game.

Check out my reviews for I-VI if you're interested If anything, DQI is at least a very short game, so you can always check that out. It's worth taking a look just to see what the first ever JRPG was like.