Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlus is working on a new Fantasy RPG...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    "Early concept stage" is a really dumb time to announce a game unless they're panning on crowd-funding it. I mean this is the stage where lots of games end up getting cancelled, so why bother trying to get the hype train rolling so soon?
    Cause Atlus is a small company compared to others and need the help of of the hype train to get any interest into any of their projects because they lack the funds to do a heavy PR campaign like Squenix, EA, and Ubisoft?

As popular and over exposed as Persona 4 is, it is still technically a cult hit at best from a numbers game compared to other major franchises.
    They're owned by SEGA though, so I don't really see them as that small.

Besides, announcing stuff this early doesn't bring in any money, it just risks people losing interest by the time you actually have anything substantial. There are a selection of games I kickstarted that I don't even care about anymore because it's been so long that I've lost any enthusiasm for them. You can't really start building hype for something where all you have to show is a few bits of concept art.
    Last edited by Fox; 12-24-2016 at 11:41 AM.

So this is Atlus' first major attempt at a big budget title. I'd like to see how this goes. The graphics aren't really like that, however. That's obviously CGI/Real-time.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

They're owned by SEGA though, so I don't really see them as that small.

Besides, announcing stuff this early doesn't bring in any money, it just risks people losing interest by the time you actually have anything substantial. There are a selection of games I kickstarted that I don't even care about anymore because it's been so long that I've lost any enthusiasm for them. You can't really start building hype for something where all you have to show is a few bits of concept art.
    Sega isn't exactly the powerhouse it used to be either though.

I also beg to differ and I really feel it comes down to the company. I mean I knew about Xenoblade Chronicles years before anything substantial came out and I was excited for it cause the Xeno team doesn't usually disappoint me; so I kept that hype alive up until it finally saw a release in my country.

The idea of the Persona team attempting a more conventional fantasy RPG is still pretty good and technically they usually have a better turn around than say... Square-Enix when it comes to announcement to release. Not to mention that Atlus and the SMT/Persona teams are still good in my book for releasing quality stuff, so even if the game isn't going to see the light of day until 2021, I'll at least get to watch the team show off what they are doing to keep the hype train going.

Articles
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to whatever they plan to do. The concept art looks nice, and it whets the palate. Atlus are usually very dependable with launches and development, so I'll be following news on this when it arrives.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Yoko Taro might be one of my favorite designers in the industry if only for his quirky interviews. He just released a statement about Atlus' new Fantasy RPG. For those who don't know, Yoko Taro is the creative force behind Drakengard and NeiR.

...I don't know if he's just really hyped about the new Atlus RPG or if he just found a really, really ingenious way to get people interested in Nier.

Or maybe both.

And why is he still wearing that mask?

I like to think he wears it too work.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    ...I don't know if he's just really hyped about the new Atlus RPG or if he just found a really, really ingenious way to get people interested in Nier.

Or maybe both.

He hates interviews apparently and always wears that mask when he has to do one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

Or maybe both.

He hates interviews apparently and always wears that mask when he has to do one.
    Just imagine it though, if not even his co-workers have ever seen his real face.

I like to think that is the reality of the situation.

Maybe he's been wearing it so long it has become​ his real face and actually controls his personality

Wasn't sure whether this would be considered a necro or not, but thought I'd post this in here.

The director of Persona 5 discussing what he wants to achieve with this game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

It showed up in my suggestions last night, and I had either forgotten about or never really knew about this project. But I am intrigued. Similar to Elly I am a little burned out on traditional high fantasy. But Atlus is far from a traditional studio. And the video even says why should they try to return to their roots when they could do their own thing with it. And there are a lot of twists I could see them doing. Since Shining Force was brought up it makes a good example as being both traditional and unconventional. And while I highly doubt they're picking up an old Sega franchise rather than doing something new, the concept art makes me feel warm and familiar. Old Shining Force concept art made me feel warm and familiar. So I'll be happily awaiting whatever it turns out to be. I'm sure it'll be a pleasant surprise and a break from the norm in some way