Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have your taste in gaming change over the years? Part 2

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question How have your taste in gaming change over the years? Part 2

Based on an old thread of the same title. How have your own gaming tastes changed since you first started gaming?

I'd say my desire for challenge has decreased significantly in most areas. Most of the time now I just wanna have a bit of fun and enjoy a good story. I don't want to be PUSHING to my LIMITS. There are some exceptions of course and I still want something more involving than 'Press X to win,' but where getting stuck used to be a thrilling battle to overcome now tend to just be tedious.

I used to favor RPGs based on story and characters, while I now prefer them based on mechanics and interesting options available to me. It's the reason I tend to play through most Final Fantasy games once and move on, while I'll play SaGa games multiple times in a row.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I found out how awesome visual novels were, mostly.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I used to love fps games. Now I love rpgs lol

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

It's hard to compare because when I started gaming things were very limited, everything was still arcade games like Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Donkey Kong, Pole Position and so on. I don't know if my taste has changed, really. If it's fun, I'll play it. Dig-Dug was (still is) hecka fun and I played the hell out of it, and today Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls and Pokemon are fun and I play the hell out of those.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I used to be more into JRPGS now ehhh there's a lot of the J parts I find to be... ehhhhh. Questionable?

I've been more into Simulation games as I get older. I also don't care as much for "omg good graphics it's so good cause good graphics!" and more about detailed story that's expansive and I can get obsessed with.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've mostly expanded my tastes to include many genres

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

0. I still like the same trout. I'm open to everything like I always was.

I've lost interest in a lot of PvP games. Specifically shooters. Grew up with Halo, Gears, and Call of Duty. Now I dislike all three of them.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I used to tolerate and have fun with online gaming. Never got deep into it or played a MMORPG (one of the greatest scams the gaming industry pulled on gamers is convincing them they have to pay a monthly fee to play a video game), but I had fun on Xbox Live and whatnot.

Now? I just can't stand multiplayer as a whole. It's different if I am physically in the room with people. I just don't have the time to listen to some kid or a poorly matured adult scream at me over a game. And no, that just doesn't happen on [whatever], it happens across all services and games that allow that sort of thing. No, I don't want to mute people. No, I don't want configure settings to avoid people. Yes, I know I can play with people I know only. Too much of a hassle. I play video games to not have to deal with other people, even people that I like. I play games to have fun by myself. I'll throw down once in awhile, but the obsessive focus on multiplayer gaming is just so damn trite to me. I don't care. I don't have time. I'm old. Get off my lawn.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I used to tolerate and have fun with online gaming. Never got deep into it or played a MMORPG (one of the greatest scams the gaming industry pulled on gamers is convincing them they have to pay a monthly fee to play a video game), but I had fun on Xbox Live and whatnot.

Now? I just can't stand multiplayer as a whole. It's different if I am physically in the room with people. I just don't have the time to listen to some kid or a poorly matured adult scream at me over a game. And no, that just doesn't happen on [whatever], it happens across all services and games that allow that sort of thing. No, I don't want to mute people. No, I don't want configure settings to avoid people. Yes, I know I can play with people I know only. Too much of a hassle. I play video games to not have to deal with other people, even people that I like. I play games to have fun by myself. I'll throw down once in awhile, but the obsessive focus on multiplayer gaming is just so damn trite to me. I don't care. I don't have time. I'm old. Get off my lawn.

I feel eel the same as you about online Multi player. Hate hearing some kid trash talk while I just want to game. It's why I went away from FPS's the replay value was heavy online play and just can't stand it any more.

However if it is a good old friend in the room with me I don't mind it as much. It's fun to either hunt down your friend, or have your friend hunt you. Also it's a great feeling when you or a friend save each other from a punk mouth kid.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've branched out a lot more. When I was younger, I was solely interested in JRPGs and I more or less held them as my gold standard for 'a fun game'. And while I still have a strong preference for them, I'll honestly give anything a chance to hook me, though I'm still biased against sports games and FPS games simply because I don't enjoy them much. (Overwatch has been the exception, as far as FPS games go.)

I've also become a lot more critical of games too. Games are an investment of time and money, so if it's not doing anything to keep me engaged or doesn't feel like a significant use of time, I feel far less favorable toward it. I never realized how little time you have on your hands as an adult, so it feels like every bit of it counts, and I'd rather spend it on games I enjoy, rather than ones I feel lukewarm toward. When I was younger, it was like "yeah, this game kinda sucks but HEY VIDEO GAMES". But for me, now, they need something to hook me. A good plot or story, fun gameplay, an interesting concept-- pick one. If it's good, I'm much more inclined to enjoy them.

One thing that changed that I would like to change is to play more multiplayer games. I genuinely miss the proximity and fun of couch multiplayer, and it's frankly just a thing of the past. It saddens me, but it is what it is. But because of that, I don't tend to play many multiplayer things at all anymore, which makes gaming feel really isolated and less the social connection it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I don't see what the problem is with a MMORPG charging a monthly fee. Servers have to be maintained. Events typically come and go. There are content updates (new PvP and/or PvE content, rebalance of bosses/classes, changes in level progression, etc.) which in a good number of cases have to have bugs worked out of them, and the list can go on and on. You can't really expect things like that to be done at a high quality and for free.

P2W type MMORPGs on a F2P model can be far far worse. I know from personal experience.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

I have less drive to complete games, specifically JRPGs, which is still my #1 favorite genre but still...