Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix (PS4) | Official Thread

Default Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix (PS4) | Official Thread

Release Date
    ----------------

NA: March 28, 2017
    EU: March 31, 2017

Anyone else picking up these games on PS4? I've never really been interested in the series, and I've only played a little bit of KH1. Looking to pick this collection up and play them.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I got them... on PS3. It is funny joking about 1.5s, 2.5, 2.8s, 2.9s, 2.95s, and the like, but it is very comical there now being a 1.5/2.5 again. It's like a remaster of a remaster.

Though apparently the PS4 really boosts performance and loading times, which is nice. Still, I'm very content with my PS3 editions, especially seeing how I got them for very cheap. I'm definitely not buying them again!

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I got them... on PS3. It is funny joking about 1.5s, 2.5, 2.8s, 2.9s, 2.95s, and the like, but it is very comical there now being a 1.5/2.5 again. It's like a remaster of a remaster.

Though apparently the PS4 really boosts performance and loading times, which is nice. Still, I'm very content with my PS3 editions, especially seeing how I got them for very cheap. I'm definitely not buying them again!
    I actually have the PS3 editions. However, I'm thinking of getting them on PS4. The upgrade to 1080p and 60fps seems really huge. Especially since it would be my first time experiencing the games completely.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the main performance improvements are very pleasing. Load times are a big draw. If you don't have them on PS3, get them on PS4. If you can afford them. If you do have them on PS3, personally I wouldn't bother getting them again, but if you want to, then that's fair enough.

I mean, I'll get 2.8 on the PS4 when I get around to completing all of 1.5 and 2.5 (still need to complete BBS, for example).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Once I get a PS4, I really need to get this. KH is probably my favorite series of all time and I've been really hooked on it lately

I only plan on playing KH1, KH2 and Birth By Sleep. Will I be missing anything worthwhile if I skip out on the rest?

I really don't like having the idea of having to play a bunch of spin-offs or side stories.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is no such thing as a "spin-off" in Kingdom Hearts. Aside from maybe coded, every part has important story details. 358/2 Days is just cutscenes format in the collection, so it won't be hard to catch up, but Chain of Memories needs to be played to get the whole picture. Play it between I and II for the best experience, and watch 358/2 Days between II and BBS. The card battle system may take some getting used to, but I found it really cool and rewarding, and COM's writing is pretty much the best in the entire series (and it's one of only two games where you get to play as Riku and it's glorious), so you won't be doing yourself any favors by skipping it. 358/2 Days is just incredibly tear-jerky, so I still recommend it.

Also, don't forget to pick up 2.8 as well. 3D puts the entire series' plot on its head by throwing a wrench into every established plot point so far (also, Riku really gets to shine here). Back Cover has the Master of Masters who is probably the greatest character ever (also setting up some important plot points), and 0.2 is basically a prologue to III.

So yeah. No such thing as a KH spin-off - they all have crucial plot points. Except for coded.

Coded has a crucial plot point, The secret ending.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which you will still know if you just play 3D since it's pretty much quoted word for word there

Unless you're talking about the new secret scene in the movie version. That's just foreshadowing for Back Cover, though, so again, it's skippable.

The only thing coded really has going for it is the fun gameplay and relative lighthearted atmosphere, but other than that, it is completely skippable.

All games are skippable if you just look it up in a proper summary that is not just written on a mere trashypedia site. And going by how Xemnas and Ansem's true plan was a part of the one from KHIII instead of just their mere KHI and KHII plan, oh my god - not even KHI and KHII is all that necessary except for knowing "yeah there was that one guy who became a Heartless and produced a Nobody in the process".

That honestly just seems too overwhelming, tbh. I really only have interest in the core games: the original (KH1), the sequel (KH2), the prequel (BBS) and the eventual sequel (KH3).

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except in coded, both scenes are just post-credit stingers, instead of actual in-game events that carry a number of textual and metatextual information that can't really be replaced by just reading a summary. Coded's "important scenes" are basically just blurbs saying "X game is coming up". Nothing within the story of coded itself is relevant to the overarching plot, coded just hints at games that are already out at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Except in coded, both scenes are just post-credit stingers, instead of actual in-game events that carry a number of textual and metatextual information that can't really be replaced by just reading a summary. Coded's "important scenes" are basically just blurbs saying "X game is coming up". Nothing within the story of coded itself is relevant to the overarching plot, coded just hints at games that are already out at this point.
    At this point. Not when Coded was made.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    That honestly just seems too overwhelming, tbh. I really only have interest in the core games: the original (KH1), the sequel (KH2), the prequel (BBS) and the eventual sequel (KH3).
    Except they're all designed as "core games" as you call them.

Look, if you get into the story, it's really awesome that you have so many games since you get to play around with it more. And the gameplay is always great.

Sure, you can jump into II without Chain of Memories, but know that most people that did so complained about II's story of making sense, while it made sense for those of us that played CoM beforehand. If you're just interested in the gameplay and not the story, cool, but you won't get a clear, cohesive story experience by opting not to play a specific game in the series. It's like watching an anime or tv show and choosing to just watch every other season.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    At this point. Not when Coded was made.
    That's my point. New layers of plot points from CoM, BBS, and Days are constantly being explored in ever new entry, with the emotional impact of the original being a key part of player participation. You'll lose nothing to that degree by skipping coded.