Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

This is going to be a fun night phase

"Someone was going to be murdered but then it turned out everyone remaining in town had killed themselves out of shame".

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    TECHNICALLY you'll have the next day phase to lose lose, depending on Karifean's win condition preference. If you guys hit a town with a lynch and a town at night, the next day will start 2 v 2 They still aren't the majority at that point. They would just have to convince one townie to vote the other townie. the townies can both vote for a mafia though and be at a stalemate. All they have to do is convince one person to vote for the pro town player.

Honestly it depends on the GM. Some will say mafia win at the even point but others make them fight it out.
    Win conditions are in the original post. As soon as the number of Mafia is equal to or higher than the number of townies, the Mafia win.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    TECHNICALLY you'll have the next day phase to lose lose, depending on Karifean's win condition preference. If you guys hit a town with a lynch and a town at night, the next day will start 2 v 2 They still aren't the majority at that point. They would just have to convince one townie to vote the other townie. the townies can both vote for a mafia though and be at a stalemate. All they have to do is convince one person to vote for the pro town player.

Honestly it depends on the GM. Some will say mafia win at the even point but others make them fight it out.
    Win conditions are in the original post. As soon as the number of Mafia is equal to or higher than the number of townies, the Mafia win.
    Well, congratulations, Mafia!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post

Oh! I re-read it and didn't see where that was posted but I see now, I must have ignored it cause of the font color difference.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Congratulations to the Mafia. They played it well. Now that I know what to do and not to do I will be a stronger player next time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Seriously though, once this is all said and done (in 24 hours time), can expert Mafia break down where I went wrong? Because I really need to learn how to read posts inquisitively and suss out suspicious activity. Gosh, first time playing town and I fail to spot a single Mafia? It's pathetic.

I'm curious to see if we were led astray by any of the flavour text. Maybe I was ruling things out that actually hadn't been ruled out, and it had been designed to be read with more suspicion? It's funny, after the first night we were all "Oh I wonder if this'll make things too easy for the town?"

NOPE

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just published my closing thoughts. Basically, I feel as if Day Two was the turning point where things went horribly wrong, and Day Three was just fallout. By carefully crafting a two-man bandwagon of Shauna/Nutty, whoever 'won' and wasn't lynched would end up being lynched without question the following day, out of reaction to the failed lynch.

I feel like being an incompetent town has given me really good practice at being a successful mafia in the future

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I feel like being an incompetent town has given me really good practice at being a successful mafia in the future
    How often have you played, Fox? I was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    First time in this style. I played half a dozen tabletop games of Secret Hitler before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

First time in this style. I played half a dozen tabletop games of Secret Hitler before.
    Is Secret Hitler like IRL Mafia, or is there another rule change?

Is Secret Hitler like IRL Mafia, or is there another rule change?
    There are some extra rules. You have two teams, liberal and fascist, and you are each trying to get your policies passed. You take it in turns to be president, the president nominates a chancellor (everyone votes to allow the election or not) and gives them two policy cards. The chancellor returns one card to the deck and plays the other one, revealing if it is liberal of fascist.

So there's a lot of extra steps where you can introduce suspicion. There's a lot of "I gave him a fascist and a liberal card and he played the fascist!" "No you didn't you gave me two fascist cards!" that gets thrown around. So it's a very different game, despite being based on the same principles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Secret Hitler is probably my favorite board game overall. It's also a secret identity game like Mafia, but plays rather differrently and fixes a lot of the problems. Mainly these three things:

- People do not die early on. There is a maximum of two kills per game and they happen fairly late in the game if at all.
    - Townies are not imbalanced; there are no special powers.
    - There is no need for a game master, which is pretty cool in a live tabletop round.

While the basic setup is the same every game, there's an element of randomness that makes every game feel different. The only downside is that Secret Hitler is a game for 5-10 players, no more, no less, and the game kinda sucks with exactly 6 players too.

If you want, and a couple other people feel inclined to join as well, we can play some rounds of Secret Hitler on Tabletop Simulator (can be bought on Steam) sometime. It'll be fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sounds fun! I'd love to play more board games and other games with you guys. Bickering about rules aside, you all seem like a great bunch.

And I love playing games, but it's always so difficult to get people to play party games like these.