Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2121617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It adds a deductive element, which I think is incredible. We actually get information that allows us to piece together what happened. On one hand, it leaves the mafia fewer places to hide, but the information is limited enough that they can still hide behind something. I think if we ever did this again, people would be much more reluctant to reveal their identities on day one
    Maybe not tell people whether write-ups will be long or short? That way people reveal what they want?

I have to say Karifean: you hosted a great game. Nothing really jumps out at me at all in terms of feedback. Maybe slightly less detail? I felt like the flavour text discussions too easily sidetracked stuff (allowing those lost like me to well... get lost) and allowed the Mafia too easy a time of twisting things, but then again: they were really good.

I liked it though. It adds another layer. Maybe slightly less detail?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

A lot was given away, but it was also incredibly misleading in many ways, which is probably something the GM should intentionally do at all times. After all "A girl" was protected, and "A girl" was the killer, and they ended up being different people.

Except from the fact that almost everyone was outed on Day 2, that is something that shouldn't be able to happen. :3

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    BUT THERE'S ONLY EIGHT!

Dibs on Sylveon tho
    Nine with Eevee

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

In fact, the investigative roles could easily have been thought to be one of the various different ones when they "visited" each other. but my flavor text gave everything away of what I was as a role. Even if they didn't figure out it was me, they knew there was one doctor. The investigative ones you have to guess, identifier, tracker, detective etc

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    In fact, the investigative roles could easily have been thought to be one of the various different ones when they "visited" each other. but my flavor text gave everything away of what I was as a role. Even if they didn't figure out it was me, they knew there was one doctor. The investigative ones you have to guess, identifier, tracker, detective etc
    Idk, it's not that obvious. I didn't say this during play, since I didn't want to throw a wrench into our plans, but I actually wasn't sure for the longest time whether it was you or Shauna that was Cecil, since you didn;t reveal your identity, and Shauna could have wanted to disguise her identity as a protector to keep herself (and the town) safe.

So up until she was confirmed to be Shadow, I was not sure

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

"Casts a protective spell before leaving" in the flavor text made sure to cement there was a doctor.

Articles
    Blog Entries

"Casts a protective spell before leaving" in the flavor text made sure to cement there was a doctor.
    Well in this particular game the fact that there was a Protector was established in the rules.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe only the kill should be embellished with detail?Or maybe omit the doctor and only say a spell was cast over [x]?

I agree with Freya, it was very easy to guess the doctor.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Ya I never had the doctor guessed right away, but when we had the information of identities it pointed directly to Freya.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Scruff was waaay too easily able to deduce there was a doctor and who it may be on day two because of the flavor text. I debated on claiming a different identity but by that point it went too far and I was like hence the increased use of my smilies in game such as haha

Saying "a white knight" rather than the generic a girl, a girl, a boy, that the others got made it easier.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Maybe only the kill should be embellished with detail?Or maybe omit the doctor and only say a spell was cast over [x]?

I agree with Freya, it was very easy to guess the doctor.
    Very true, it was easy to deduce. That is one of the dangers of being open about your identity as a townie in this variant. Imagine if instead every townie had been silent about it - nobody would've had anything to go off of in regards to who the Protector was and their identity would've been vague for a while longer. On the other hand, it would've been much harder for the townies to make any suspicions based on identity as well. Both being open and being silent has its advantages. I think the idea of the identity-based flavor text is a little lost if there is no hint towards a role's identity in the text.

Although there are exceptions of course, I still admit that revealing the first night's killer to be a girl (when there were only two players that would be described as such) was a mistake on my part.

From my point of view, the fact that the Protector was so easily identified was simply because the townies (and Mafia too, ironically) were so open about their identities; I actually expected people to be generally secretive about their identity , it's what happened in my own first game in this variant. And I think it's okay for it to be a risk vs reward type situation where you risk exposing your more important roles while potentially cornering the Mafia in the process.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Don't get me wrong, I thought it gave an extra element to the game which I found fun, I just think some of the descriptors gave too much away. To a point that I don't really see the need of the identifier role.

Which I figured out day 2 as well with this post

I dunno, i'm pretty confident now that if Fox is Cid, and that is accurate, that I've figured out his role I should have kept that all to myself now in hindsight to not out him.... but meh it's been posted, can't edit it out or anything.

That is, if Fox is actually cid and cid is the old man referred to and the flavor text aligns with his role the way I'm thinking it does.

I mean, a knight as a protector? These roles fit their identities. It would make sense that Cid knows everyone but just has to "remember" it when using their action.
    Oh and I was totally dropping hints to townies I was the doctor but not actually saying it. xD If I talk about my own role as if i'm not, no one would suspect right?

I thought shauna would get it. That's really who I thought would get it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The valuable the role, the less detail should be given. Having the killer be named only through gender is fair enough; maybe detective/doctor should have that same level of obscurity? Less vital roles like identifier could have a fuller description, likewise with targets of actions, like 'colourfully dressed man'.

It's just what I think. I know others feel different, but much of the tension and balance went after the doctor was revealed, because Freya was an obvious target from that point on.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think that's because identities have not been historically important in EoFF Mafia games. I didn't think much of it either, as we only really started dissecting it after I had also revealed, but as we went on it was like "Nope, this is actually really important and we know who everyone is now".

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, no-one thought it was important Day One, so I was like "mwah ahaha! I am Kefka", not knowing that such identities would be very important in the writeups. No-one knew how much detail there would be; I assumed it'd be the regular amount.