Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31317181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I think that's because identities have not been historically important in EoFF Mafia games. I didn't think much of it either, as we only really started dissecting it after I had also revealed, but as we went on it was like "Nope, this is actually really important and we know who everyone is now".
    That too. We typically use identities, on our second accounts, as flavor to roleplay as. So this threw a lot of people off too.

In fact even as the game start I was still really confused on what the point of them and the identifier role was even for. It seemed like useless nonsense to me. But I kept fighting for the fact that this CAN be played that way rather than understanding it.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

So basically we all broke the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well that's fine. I didn't expect you guys to realize it either, if anything I was surprised when Scruffington came out and casually put all the pieces together.

I did post example games where the power of the writeups could be seen, but nobody ever reads those things anyway.

Well, now you know. =P

Really I think this format is especially well-suited to if you want to have a lot of crazy roles or extra rules in play and you want the players to figure it out as they go. I went with a simple game for the sake of easing everyone into the format, but ultimately, complex crazy messes are more of its thing.

If anyone else does ever feel like hosting a game with the same general format, my main pieces of advice would be to 1. have two-ish vanilla town players for every Mafia role that cannot be a town role (most notably the Murderer, or in this game, the Lackeys) and 2. be *very* careful about how explicit you are with information. I conversed with the game master of my previous Mafia games during the game and he told me about how he usually only gets more explicit during later night phases, and I think that's a better way to go. I got too caught up in giving everyone a recognizable trait in the writeups.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I did actually look at some of those links and was still confused. I read a little bit, went to the night phases and I just didn't understand it.

Also that forum was weird.

But that's also why I shut the smurf up about my identity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I did actually look at some of those links and was still confused. I read a little bit, went to the night phases and I just didn't understand it.

Also that forum was weird.
    Maybe ours is the weird one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Ahh nah it was the way replies worked, the layout, it was... weird to me? Like comment sections and less forumy? That's what I mean

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

As I had a vanilla role being a newbie all I had was the info from the posts, and what people said. I think my biggest mistake was a quick vote on Fynn day2.

I only did that to see how people would react and see if anyone would slip up and give information. Didn't realize it was a shady thing to do really. Thought if he was Mafia he would try and claim innocence in a way with heels dug in and maybe even give a personal shot to me for suggesting it. I was also looking at others to see how they responded, if they would hop on the band wagon or kind of just toss it aside.

It had nothing to do with Fynn himself, it just happend to be the last name I read and it was in my head.

My one issue was that the role of 'identifier' didn't seem particularly useful when it's not tied to a role. If everyone had kept their identities secret, I gradually could have started identifying people and figuring out who was doing what actions. But it would have taken half a dozen nights to identify enough people to make that useful.

So just a balance complaint than any issue with the ruleset

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

If only you checked me out that night instead of Scruffy Fox we may have stood a shot because Scruffy was on my list with AK, and we would have nailed him.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But the only thing Fox could really do was confirm that Scruffy was indeed Garnet. That really wouldn't have made much of a change.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I thought Fox had the if you did something that night power. I knew Scruff was Garnet and he said his checks cleared Scruff.

I could have given him an alibi though. If the flavour text had told me that FFNut was in the room with me while the murder occurred, it might have shifted the balance.

I said "I can confirm Scruffy is at least somewhat honest". By which I meant "he said he was Garnet and he is". ...That's kinda all I had to contribute on that one

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Ok I thought you had the did they act at night role.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know these roles can be hard to grasp, Nutty, but don't worry - normally when you play mafia, the roles are much simpler. Usually, mafia just kills, and there's a protector and a detective. And that's it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Now that you all are on a detective kick, please engage me as I freak out about Sherlock and Westworld theories. Because Mark Gatniss said there were hints at the reveal that happened in Ep2 of Season 4 all the way back in the beginning and that we're missing a lot. And I have many theories and want to discuss them

And the Westworld website has new information about some characters and guys

i am needing to deduce.