Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a visual novel. Apparently a pretty big deal. Karifean likes it so much he gifted it to me on Steam

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That reminds me - we totally need to do a Danganronpa-themed Mafia, especially since that game is pretty much Mafia: The Game as it is

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That reminds me - we totally need to do a Danganronpa-themed Mafia, especially since that game is pretty much Mafia: The Game as it is
    Ha! It is.

As to irl mafia: I've played it several times and it is very fun but very different than what we do. First of all, there are only basic roles like cop and doc and no elaborate roles like Terrorist or whatever, though technically I guess those could be put in. It is also very fast paced. A day phase lasts like 5 minutes and once the town has come to a consensus they pretty much lynch the guy. No cries of 'SPEEDLYNCH = MAFIA!' or waiting around for the full day phase to discuss as much as possible, which I think hurts the momentum of the game in the later stages. There's also no way to verify if someone lied or was inconsistent since you don't have a history of their statements, so you can get away with a lot more, but it also adds the aspect of physical cues to help you tell if someone's lying.

I really like what we've built in EoFF mafia which is a much more cerebral game than the irl version. The second accounts also add the roleplaying aspect that is fun. Karif added a new layer which is kind of like a 'whodoneit' detective game where you have to decipher clues in addition to what people tell you. There are irl versions of that type of game too though I've never played it. My only complaint of our version is that it goes so slowly especially later on when there are fewer players with a lot of the more vocal ones have been killed.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What actually is When They Cry?
    In all seriousness I would like Karifean's answer. There was a thread a few months ago where both he and Ultima Shadow praised it as a fantastic experience and so I was curious and looked it up on Steam but didn't quite get it - are there others in the series you need to experience first, or? I saw someone had done a LP on YouTube and thought about watching it wasn't sure if it was the right thing.
    When They Cry is a series of Visual Novels, Higurashi: When They Cry (Parts 1 & 2), and Umineko: When They Cry (Parts 1 & 2). There's... four chapters of Higurashi available on Steam which I believe is the entirety of the first part, as well as the first part of Umineko. They are mystery supernatural thriller tales.

I have never actually read the visual novels, but the anime for Higurashi was more than enough to get me wanting to sink my teeth ~eventually~.

(Karifean will correct anything wrong I have said here and probably expand further on certain things)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, I've heard of Umineko! I wasn't aware it was part of a wider series.

About the length of the day system: maybe the time is reduced on each successive day? Nothing drastic, like halving it each time, but maybe thirding it, or some other percentage. The Night Sections can be reduced by saying the Night is over after all Night Action Roles have confirmed their intention to use or not use an action.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If we do the Danganronpa thing, we could do it like it sometimes happened in the game - Monokuma (the host) could sometimes just get bored and just cut the day short without warning. To keep players on edge

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, the night phase should always be very quick, unless day ends in an odd hour for some time zones. Individual night actions should take seconds to make and the mafia does not need several hours do determine a kill. Shortening the day phase during later stages may be good but it can't be too short since we have a lot of members on very different schedules and everyone should have a chance to participate. What bugs me more is when there is a consensus on who people will be voting for and we just leave the day open until the time limit to see if anyone decides to hang themselves with the time left or if some mafia on the chopping block slips up and outs their comrades.

The slowness really boils down to fewer number of players in the late stages who still may be in different time zones. Not really much we can do about that I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If we do the Danganronpa thing, we could do it like it sometimes happened in the game - Monokuma (the host) could sometimes just get bored and just cut the day short without warning. To keep players on edge
    That would be fun, as long as the players understand this in the beginning so no one gets butthurt if they are the victim of his antics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Well, the night phase should always be very quick, unless day ends in an odd hour for some time zones. Individual night actions should take seconds to make and the mafia does not need several hours do determine a kill. Shortening the day phase during later stages may be good but it can't be too short since we have a lot of members on very different schedules and everyone should have a chance to participate. What bugs me more is when there is a consensus on who people will be voting for and we just leave the day open until the time limit to see if anyone decides to hang themselves with the time left or if some mafia on the chopping block slips up and outs their comrades.

The slowness really boils down to fewer number of players in the late stages who still may be in different time zones. Not really much we can do about that I think.
    Yeah, time zones is a good point. The Night can definitely be shortened.

Funnily enough, leaving the day open until the time limit is actually what's happening now. But I'm giving the Day 24 hours, not the usual 48.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think once all Night Actions are in, bam day starts. No need to wait when everything is all ready.

Articles
    Blog Entries

And honestly I'm just waiting for Aerith's Knight to post something today

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What actually is When They Cry?
    In all seriousness I would like Karifean's answer. There was a thread a few months ago where both he and Ultima Shadow praised it as a fantastic experience and so I was curious and looked it up on Steam but didn't quite get it - are there others in the series you need to experience first, or? I saw someone had done a LP on YouTube and thought about watching it wasn't sure if it was the right thing.
    When They Cry is a series of Visual Novels, Higurashi: When They Cry (Parts 1 & 2), and Umineko: When They Cry (Parts 1 & 2). There's... four chapters of Higurashi available on Steam which I believe is the entirety of the first part, as well as the first part of Umineko. They are mystery supernatural thriller tales.

I have never actually read the visual novels, but the anime for Higurashi was more than enough to get me wanting to sink my teeth ~eventually~.

(Karifean will correct anything wrong I have said here and probably expand further on certain things)
    You got it.

I would've responded earlier, but I decided to just write up a blog post for this matter, see here: http://home.eyesonff.com/entry.php/6...-When-They-Cry

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

TECHNICALLY you'll have the next day phase to lose lose, depending on Karifean's win condition preference. If you guys hit a town with a lynch and a town at night, the next day will start 2 v 2 They still aren't the majority at that point. They would just have to convince one townie to vote the other townie. the townies can both vote for a mafia though and be at a stalemate. All they have to do is convince one person to vote for the pro town player.

Honestly it depends on the GM. Some will say mafia win at the even point but others make them fight it out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Town has decided.

I'm fine with losing, I just don't want to lose a perfect game. Let us at least snatch one Mafia. Lynching only town is just... sad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Where's the "place your head in a paper bag" smiley?