Page 1 of 26 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default A new EoFF Mafia

Hey there, Eyes on Final Fantasy.

It's been a while since the last Mafia game around here, hasn't it? As I only recently realized this forum appears to have had a pretty big Mafia scene for a long time. And since I've recently gotten fond of playing forum Mafia myself, I figured I might as well give hosting one around here a shot. The game style I'm used to is probably a little different from the game style the Mafia veterans around here are used to, and it won't be as extensive as previous games with alternate accounts and the like, but that'll hardly be a problem, now will it?

But first things first, a Mafia game can only run if there are enough players interested in playing. I'd like to get the game going around Dec 27th or 28th. If you are interested and want to participate, let me know down below~

For those who don't know, Mafia is a "secret identity" type game that pits an informed minority - the mafia - against an uninformed majority - the citizens. The mafia know each other's identity, but the citizens know nothing. The citizens have to figure out who to trust and expose the Mafia in their midst. The mafia have to deceive the citizens, pretending to be trustworthy allies while secretly working against them. The game is divided into alternating day and night phases. During day phases, everyone decides on someone to be lynched. During night phases, special players may use their abilities, including but not limited to the mafia players, who can kill any one person they want to. Some citizens also have special abilities, like the Detective/Cop who can pick a player and covertly investigate their true allegiance, or the Protector/Doctor who can pick a player who will then be immune to all kill abilities that night. If the citizens manage to kill all the mafia, they win. If the mafia manage to kill enough players so that the number of mafia is equal to the number of citizens, they win. The number of Mafia players depends on the number of total players, usually ranging around 1/4 of players.
    Last edited by Karifean; 12-29-2016 at 11:22 AM.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Count me in! Never played one but sounds fun.

I'm up for playing. I've been playing Mafia for years. I do have a Christmas dinner to attend on the 27th unfortunately so I won't be too active on that day.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Like, yeah? I smurfing love Mafia. It's literally been years since the last game, which is a travesty.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'll play!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll play too!

Articles
    Blog Entries

So the timeframe for starting the game I originally stated has come and gone, and I guess I'll expand the question to who is even interested in playing a Mafia game in general, regardless of whether or not the timing fits? I don't have too much coming up anytime soon, so maybe we can find a better time. Or otherwise at least find out that there's not enough interest in the first place.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, Mafia. The game to make enemies out of your friends, and worse enemies out of your enemies. Count me in, my salt levels are dipping.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Aye.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Good luck to all the tributes

I am interested but don't fully understand how it works. This sounds quite a lot like Secret Hitler.

Yep. Still interested.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

still interested

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I am interested but don't fully understand how it works. This sounds quite a lot like Secret Hitler.
    Well the underlying principle of "uninformed majority vs informed minority" is the same, and Secret Hitler was created as a game that fixes some of the more common problems people have with games like Mafia. While I consider Secret Hitler to be a better game overall, Mafia is much better suited to play online on a forum. The most notable differences in the games are 1. in Mafia, players get eliminated all the damn time, whereas in Secret Hitler it only happens up to twice in the whole game, 2. the citizens in Mafia are not powerless like the liberals in Secret Hitler, some of them have special abilities to help track down the Mafia (which means citizens also have a reason to keep their identity secret, if they have a strong ability they don't want to get killed off by the Mafia immediately) and 3. the Mafia can talk to each other in secret at their leisure unlike the fascists.

A normal round of Mafia goes as follows:
    Setup phase - Everyone is assigned an alignment, an identity and possibly an ability.
    1. Daytime phase - Everyone talks and decides on someone to lynch (or, in the variant I play, they can also decide not to lynch anyone at all). Everyone has one vote, votes are all public, the person with the most votes at the end of the phase is eliminated. If someone gets over 50% of all players' votes before the time limit is up, the vote is locked down and the phase ends instantly, with that person being eliminated right away.
    2. Nighttime phase - everyone with an ability (citizens and Mafia alike) PMs their "night action" to the game master. Most notably, the Murderer in the Mafia team gives their target for the night.
    3. In my variant, the players also get a daybreak writeup that presents the events of the nighttime phase in a narrative. If you know a player's identity or ability, it's very possible you'll be able to pinpoint them in the narrative and find out what they did and who they were visited by (i.e. had an ability used on them) that night.
    At this point, the game loops with the next daytime phase, usually with one extra player eliminated by the Mafia. When the Mafia eliminate enough players so that the number of Mafia equals or outweighs the number of citizens, they win. If the Mafia are wiped out, the citizens win.

The abilities in play are usually up to the whims of the game master, and sometimes they may also decide to spice things up with a "third party" that's neither citizen nor Mafia and has their own objective. Figuring out that it exists and what its members are trying to accomplish is an extra challenge for citizens and Mafia alike.

If you want to see some example games with a 07th Expansion theme, see these: Rokkenjima Mafia I, Rokkenjima Mafia II. First game, when we were all still bloody beginners, the humans got utterly destroyed, second game, when we realized the true power of the daybreak writeups, the humans won pretty handily. Perhaps you can pick up some strategies for citizens and Mafia alike by giving them a read~

Articles
    Blog Entries

Still interested!