Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101424 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm actually pretty sure there's been no lynch options in big EoFF mafia games before. It's fine, it's a worthwhile thing to have imho.

But as a strategy it's not one I would ever advocate. It's a playing-it-safe cop out for the town, along with the old favourite "Oh my god there's nothing to discuss on day one!" line that drives me up the wall. What are you waiting for? As if Day 2 "oh this person died during the night!" is somehow anywhere near as useful evidence as the lynch votes. Both the lynch and the discussion are the town's weapons and should be deployed accordingly. Silence and inaction helps the scum. Wo/man up and put your vote on someone. Nail your colours to the mast.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    But as a strategy it's not one I would ever advocate. It's a playing-it-safe cop out for the town, along with the old favourite "Oh my god there's nothing to discuss on day one!" line that drives me up the wall. What are you waiting for? As if Day 2 "oh this person died during the night!" is somehow anywhere near as useful evidence as the lynch votes. Both the lynch and the discussion are the town's weapons and should be deployed accordingly. Silence and inaction helps the scum. Wo/man up and put your vote on someone. Nail your colours to the mast.
    Someone dying generates a lot of discussion, though. And while it's very well to wo/man up and put a vote on someone, I'm just not sure how sensible it is to just scattergun vote on random people either. After a night phase, the death (or lack of one) is pretty noteworthy. Reactions just to the death can be telling, especially once the deceased's role and alignment is revealed which can influence strategy

Lynching and discussions are weapons, but ones that can be redirected back to the town if town isn't careful enough. I see what you mean, and yes, I'm guilty of being a 'Oh my god there's nothing to discuss on day one!' type of person. I just honestly feel there's not enough to go on to solidly place a vote on anyone and not have that vote feel very arbitrary.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Someone dying generates a lot of discussion, though.
    It's a red herring a lot of the time. Someone killed Formalhaut and he accused Psychotic of being scum. Is Psychotic silencing Formalhaut????!!? OR IS SOMEONE FRAMING HIM>!>!>!!? Yawn. Mafia can just sit back and let the town tie itself in boring circular knots about that one.

Also I agree about scattergunning. I'm not advocating a random vote, that would be incredibly dumb and arbitrary, yeah. I mean look if at the end of the day and there's really nobody sticking out then use novote as last resort but certainly don't use it as Plan A. Vote for some people, see what happens, take it from there. As town - particularly a town that isn't a power role - it's your duty to make your intentions and thoughts as public as possible. Don't keep it close to your chest, get it all out there and let people try to get a read on you. And hey, you can always take back your votes!

But it doesn't really apply 'cause in this game there's been a whole heap of stuff that sets red flags and to comment on. I'm glad I'm not playing because I'd be screaming at everyone. I can't play nice when I play mafia.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm actually pretty sure there's been no lynch options in big EoFF mafia games before. It's fine, it's a worthwhile thing to have imho.

I'm with psy here.

Those who think nothing comes out of day one aren't paying enough attention. The way people vote, the way they push for or against a bandwagon, or whatever nonsense can tell a lot. Mafia want to remain mostly unknown, not giving themselves away while steering the town toward whomever else. Day one voting jump starts that before anyone even dies from lynching or a night action. Often times they even play their cards wrongly initially before they can identify who to support or not to support to seem the most innocent. sneaky sneaky mafia

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also I agree about scattergunning. I'm not advocating a random vote, that would be incredibly dumb and arbitrary, yeah. I mean look if at the end of the day and there's really nobody sticking out then use novote as last resort but certainly don't use it as Plan A. Vote for some people, see what happens, take it from there. As town - particularly a town that isn't a power role - it's your duty to make your intentions and thoughts as public as possible. Don't keep it close to your chest, get it all out there and let people try to get a read on you. And hey, you can always take back your votes!
    I understand that. I think part of it is a lack of experience. I'm sure you've seen like five or six comments to analyse For me, well, everyone seems nice enough. Not sure what else to discuss! Part of it is also knowing what even to say.

But honestly now I feel as if I'm planning outside the game thread too much so I'll stop here, and mull over the game once it has actually finished.

But it doesn't really apply 'cause in this game there's been a whole heap of stuff that sets red flags and to comment on. I'm glad I'm not playing because I'd be screaming at everyone. I can't play nice when I play mafia.
    I'm always nice and fairly agreeable when I play Mafia, so we'd get along along great

I know the game has already started, but I've been convinced to join in the fun. Any room for a late entry?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Regarding No Death on Day 1, it's a very valid strategy to follow in this particular style of Mafia. I won't comment more on that since you're all new to this style =P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I know the game has already started, but I've been convinced to join in the fun. Any room for a late entry?
    It's not impossible, but I'm a little too hesitant to allow it at this point. There would be no doubt that you are not any of the roles that are guaranteed to be in the game, so that's already a big problem.

We'll surely have another one at some point. Hope to see you then~

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gah, I tried to convince him before sign-ups closed. Ugh, Mr. Carny, always so slow to sign-up to things. I practically forced him to take part in my own Secret Santa event. And I'm his boyfriend. Ugh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Honrstly, is it too late to make alt accounts? Cause that would be so much cooler! Roleplaying ftw!
    Can we just leave that for another time?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We actually have existing Mafia accounts that are used! Just a heads up if you want to do this again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    We actually have existing Mafia accounts that are used! Just a heads up if you want to do this again.
    Yeah, I thought we had dedicated alt accounts. Didn't they go like [M] something?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yep!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Those were great times. I actually remember the two characters I played. The first mafia I played was an FF themed one, and I was Penelo. I was a Mafia, and I actually did pretty well! I got to the penultimate day, and the last to get lynched, if I remember correctly.

The other game, I was Dwayne Johnson. Not sure what the theme was, but I placed about halfway.

Those were some good games.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The other game, I was Dwayne Johnson. Not sure what the theme was, but I placed about halfway.
    YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT THE WRESTLING MAFIA, ROCK HOAGAN?