Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you miss being able to name your characters?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    not really, i always went with defaults anyway... it helps in conversation and eliminates any confusion about what character is being talked about... it'd be weird to have a discussion on Cloud with someone that only knows him as Joe...
    tumblr_m3o0c827ch1qmiqzl.jpg

It got annoying asking for help from friends who renamed every character. With that said, I don't mind games where I have to name people, but if there is a default name, I'll stick with it unless it's absolutely terrible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Y'all some boring ass people.

You leave Worf alone for 5 seconds and look what happens

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I really love being able to name characters, but I prefer voice actors being able to use a default name better, so it's a sacrifice I accept.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Eureka!

I don't miss it too much. Like others in this thread, I usually stick to the default names anyway. I think customization is best in games like EarthBound, where you can name special attacks and favorite foods. Or if your character is supposed to be an avatar of yourself,

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't do it much anymore. The only time I really did it was when I named the characters in Final Fantasy VII after myself and my friends or when I had a game in my mind back then that was basically Final Fantasy VII with my characters (A game I have planned is still inspired, but not directly copying it this time - aside from the "Evil Corporation" thing, which I hope to do differently enough) and trying to do the same with Final Fantasy VIII and I'd always keep Garnet's name as Garnet (by "renaming" her Garnet) in Final Fantasy IX, aside from that one time my cousin called he "Daber"/"Dabber" (he pronounced it "Dabber", but I'm sure he only put one "b") and I got stuck with it which made my friend laugh at the ending when Zidane says it. Plus, calling her anything other than "Dagger" makes the dialogue about daggers seem semi-irrelevant.

I do think it's a shame for those who like doing it, that it can't be done due to voice acting. Looking back, they were pretty creative with them not saying "Tidus" in Final Fantasy X by the way they danced around it - Seymour referring to Tidus as "The Son of Jecht" sounds like the kind of way a villain would talk in something where the main character's father has some kind of reputation, and while I have childishly joked an unfunny joke about Yuna saying "Our newest guardian" in that sphere. I realize now that it was probably supposed to look cute or something, as well as being a cheat on not saying "Tidus" out aloud - like she's shy about referring to him by name on this video or something? I dunno, I'll have to actually he it spoken to be sure (I never completed Final Fantasy X - I read the dialogue on a transcript).

Another reason why I think it would be better to include a choice between voice acting and traditional textboxes. In fact, while I will reply Final Fantasy X one day, I would love to play a game like that with textboxes, and as I keep saying muting the volume doesn't help, because then I mute everything, and the subtitles are still on a timer anyway.

since i have no choice but to name the characters from FF (1) i go with...

Warrior - Marduk
    Thief - Dogo
    W. Mage - Kyra
    B. Mage - Gemma

but, when i discuss them i use their job titles ala 8-Bit Theater...
    I love Septerra Core marry me now. <3

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    since i have no choice but to name the characters from FF (1) i go with...

Warrior - Marduk
    Thief - Dogo
    W. Mage - Kyra
    B. Mage - Gemma

but, when i discuss them i use their job titles ala 8-Bit Theater...
    I love Septerra Core marry me now. <3
    lolmg, i didn't think anyone would know where i got those names from... you're too awesome...
    one day i'm gonna have to reinstall that game and play it again...