Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss being able to name your characters?

Default Do you miss being able to name your characters?

We haven't had the choice to name the characters in the single player main-installments since FFX. It was a small touch of customization and added to the overall RPG-feel of the game. Do you miss it? (I realize the advent of voice acting in video games is the reason for SE doing away with this feature...)
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I only played X-2 and XII after X, but no. With voice acting I feel like you have to do it. It was awkward in X that no one said his name and I bet Square realized that and that's why they dropped it. I haven't played a new JRPG in years, but I hope the smaller titles without voice acting are still doing it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Nah, they named them what they named them for a reason.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was fun, but yeah, nowadays I actually tend to stick to the default names. Having said that, I'm not against naming other things. I kinda wish you could name weapons or armour, though that would kinda necessitate a crafting system.

Blog Entries

Even if we got to give them battle names where they keep the original name but in battle you get to give them nicknames. Give them back somehow!
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I like being able to name things, but I would never rename my main party. The only thing I would regularly do is get rid of the 'XIII' in Red XIII because I don't believe for a second people would say things like "good morning red thirteen". Also I think I named him Nanaki once just to see if there was any different dialogue in Cosmo Canyon (there isn't and it's slightly funny). I've also toyed with the idea of naming Dagger 'Garnet' and thus completely undermine the idea of changing her name for the purpose of a disguise, but I think the joke would wear thin after an hour or so and I'd regret it.

I think X had a good balance of not allowing you to rename main characters but would allow you to rename aeons. Here's a question: do you think that being able to rename Tidus was a hint that he was being summoned by the Fayth, like an aeon?

10 year old me loved being able to put my name in the game instead of Cloud. It was cool being the main character.

Having said that, Final Fantasy isn't a series where you as a player are the main character. I'm totally fine with not being able to name any characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Here's a question: do you think that being able to rename Tidus was a hint that he was being summoned by the Fayth, like an aeon?

No because you never had the option to name Jecht, and he basically served the same purpose. :P

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I always chose the default names anyway, so I don't really miss it.

It was fun to name characters after your fav anime characters, music stars, celebrities, or just naming everybody " Sephiroth " in FF VII.

Honestly ? Wouldn't mind if they brought back the " name the Summon " thing you could do in FF VIII/ FFX.

not really, i always went with defaults anyway... it helps in conversation and eliminates any confusion about what character is being talked about... it'd be weird to have a discussion on Cloud with someone that only knows him as Joe...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i cry everytime i play an rpg with no nicknaming

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I don't get to upset as I find when given the chance I end up using default names now anyhow.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

So what do y'all name the characters from FF1?

since i have no choice but to name the characters from FF (1) i go with...

Warrior - Marduk
    Thief - Dogo
    W. Mage - Kyra
    B. Mage - Gemma

but, when i discuss them i use their job titles ala 8-Bit Theater...

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I name the
    warrior Dustin
    Monk Terry
    Black Mage After myself
    White Mage after who ever I am seeing at the time.