Thread: Night Fury's Top 10 WORST Pop Songs of 2016

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Night Fury's Top 10 WORST Pop Songs of 2016

God, pop music has been full of troute this year. I mean, in a year in which we were graced with Lemonade, ANTI, and Joanne to name a few, it was going to be hard for the rest of the pop acts to match.

I'm going to remember this year for being completely forgettable. I can't make my annual Top 10 BEST without - for the first time - marking down the worst.

(This list is in no particular order)

10. Closer
    The Chainsmokers ft Halsey

Yes, these are the same lot who brought us that awful garbage 'Selfie' tune. I wish they'd disappeared after that, but instead they've tried to go a more serious route by teaming up with Tumblr fav Halsey to create this absolutely insidious tune, Closer. I smurfing despise this and it makes my blood boil if it comes on the radio with it's terribly basic melody and even worse lyrics. I can forgive troutty lyrics if the artist isn't taking themselves seriously. But these guys are.

9. Starving
    Hailee Steinfeld, Grey ft Zedd

I hate this for pretty much the exact same reasons as I hate the Chainsmokers tune. I didn't know I wanted to be deaf until I heard this tune. Can't wait until this isn't on the radio anymore.

8. All In My Head (Flex)
    Fifth Harmony ft Fetty Wap

I don't mind the parts of this song where Fetty Wap's mouth is shut and I don't have to listen to his god awful deliberately tuneless warbling. But I mean I feel like I've heard this exact song a million times. It's so forgettable, and I usually don't mind Fifth Harmony, but they're getting so so so samey in a bad way. DULL.

7. Sexual
    NEIKID ft. Dyo

Oh you could knock me over with a feather, ANOTHER troutty dance track.

6. The Greatest
    Sia ft. Kendrick Lamar

Sia and Kendrick Lamar on paper sounds like it would be an amazing tune. This is just..... Sia ticking all of her typical boxes - a far cry from The Girl that We Lost to Cocaine. This sounds like a deliberate sell out. And Kendrick's verse sounds like a primary school teacher rapping the alphabet to help the students. I love you Sia, but this was a proper bum note.

5. My Way
    Calvin Harris

Remember, it's not about T Swizz, but about his old job as a trolley pusher. The background story behind the song doesn't make it any better, it was out too late to be a summer hit, and honestly it just came and went very quickly... In the same year in which Calvin had 'This Is What You Came For'... This was a bad move!

4. Don't Wanna Know
    Maroon 5

Adam Levine is a cock, and this song is balls.

3. Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
    Adele

Urgh, such a low point for Adele after the smash that Hello was. This is the worst song on her album, and possibly the worst Adele song. The melody is awful and goes right through me, and I haven't met anyone who liked this song yet.

2. NO
    Meghan Trainor

I can't stand this song. I hate that YouTube tried to ram it down my throat via autoplay for a good 7 months of this year. I wish it would smurf off. It's just so bad... Meghan's voice does not sound even remotely good on this track and the video is a cringe fest too. Meghan - NO.

1. I Took a Pill in Ibiza (Seeb Remix)
    Mike Posner

I'd be happy to never have to hear this song again as long as I live.

I can't stand 5th Harmony, really honestly cannot think of a song from them that I can really enjoy. Most of their songs have gone of my no list when it comes to music.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I really like the Mike Posner one. Closer is okay. I'm not really a big fan of Meghan Trainor in general. The other songs... I don't know. Damn. I am so out of touch.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I really like the Mike Posner one. Closer is okay. I'm not really a big fan of Meghan Trainor in general. The other songs... I don't know. Damn. I am so out of touch.
    Haha, same! We're old farts though BoB... well I definitely am. Not heard of the first eight on the list but I agree that the last two are awful. Especially the Meghan Trainor one... Oh man. That trout made me want to drill through my ears in protest.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I like the greatest song for when I'm on the treadmill. "Cause i've got stamina" I'm like god damnit sia, okay, I'll keep running.

Closer was a fun simple tune but it got sooooo overplayed. I adore halsey but I am sick of that song.

The 5th harmony song though, ugh. I'm so wrapped up in their current drama with camilla quitting and why do I hate myself but love celeb gossip. That one i'm not a fan of though. I can't stand fetty wap, I think he just mumbles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That Fifth Harmony song plays at the gym ALL. THE. TIME.

I don't like it

I'll actually defend 'I took a Pill' by Posner, oddly.

It works by virtue of the fact it's written by Posner. It's bizarrely self reflective and honest compared to any other pop song I've heard from this year, with Posner owning his rather sad place in the scheme of pop music.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I like the greatest song for when I'm on the treadmill. "Cause i've got stamina" I'm like god damnit sia, okay, I'll keep running.
    YES! I liked this song for the same reason! It has a good bpm for me while I'm on the elliptical.

I sorta have total guilty pleasure thing for Meghan Trainor. I totally put this song on and walk around places all sassily for no good reason at all.

Some Text Here.

Wouldn't mind her songs, but she seems too hard to be a amazing feminist, when she's insulted thin/ non-chubby people.
    She feels a bit...... fake.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Wouldn't mind her songs, but she seems too hard to be a amazing feminist, when she's insulted thin/ non-chubby people.
    She feels a bit...... fake.
    Yeah, I tend to come into contact with women like this and it makes me grumpy. The whole, respect me don't body shame me cause i'm bigger as I say you're too thin and shame your body. It's a common thing. One I'm not a fan of. I like that song other than that but that took me out of it and made me uncomfortable. She has another one, dear future husband, I was also weirded out by.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    She has another one, dear future husband, I was also weirded out by.
    Ugh, I hated that one too.

If we fight make sure you always apologise, even if I'm wrong, then I'll have sex with you. Jog on, love.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Can we add Honey G to this list too?