Thread: Night Fury's Top 10 Pop Songs of 2016

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Night Fury's Top 10 Pop Songs of 2016

Here we go again. This was a hard list to put together... I'm sure I'll probably regret some choices in the next few days, but here it is for 2016!

(Songs are in no particular order!)

10. Love on the Brain
    Rihanna

This song has been in my head since I first heard it on the Grey's finale. This is Rihanna at her absolute best and I'm sure in years to come this will still be legendary. I just love it, her vocals are raw and the instrumental is strong. I feel like ANTI Rihanna is my favourite Rihanna of all. Close To You was so close to making the list.

9. Cool Girl
    Tove Lo

Probably my favourite dance track of the year, and it was so underplayed on the radio for the likes of The Chainsmokers. Urgh.

8. Dangerous Woman
    Ariana Grande

The vocals on this are gorgeous - I don't care what anyone says! And like the Tove Lo song, Dangerous Woman was overshadowed by Ariana's follow ups, Into You and Side to Side.

7. Million Reasons
    Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is never better than when she's playing an instrument and stripped back, this song is raw, beautiful, and a change of pace from the pop drivel that has been shat out in 2016.

6, 5. All Night and Formation
    Beyonce

I mean, this whole list could have just been Beyonce to be honest. With Lemonade, Yonce broke all the rules yet again and delivered undoubtedly the album of the year. Every song on this album is golden, but I picked my two favourites to make the cut. Formation is amazing as a hip hop heavy Beyonce track, and All Night is the Beyonce that we know and love. Lemonade received so much criticism - and what did Beyonce do? She twirled on those haters and didn't even give a single solitary smurf. The video/movie/phenomenon Lemonade is so visually stunning... I could go on and on and on about this, but... I have to stop somewhere!

4. Stand By Me
    Florence and The Machine

I don't think I've ever had a cover song on my list, but this was too nice not to make my favourites for this year. It's so Florence and the Machine. Enchanting, ethereal, and melodic. I love the original song anyway, so Flo covering this was a bit of a dream come true honestly.

3. Perm
    Bruno Mars

24k was okay, but Perm is the Bruno I love. It's cheeky, funky, and if you don't want to boogie to it, there's something wrong with you. Bruno is one cool smurfer.

2. Can't Stop the Feeling
    Justin Timberlake

You know, sooo many critics have this on their worst songs list. I don't care, I love this song, it make me smile. It's in the same class as Uptown Funk and Happy in my opinion, it's polarising for sure, but I'm on the side of loving it.

1. Sledgehammer
    Rihanna

Another Rihanna ballad makes the list. I've just loved Rihanna this year. She's gone kind of weird, doesn't give a smurf, is singing the best she's ever sang... She's been memeworthy all year long. She's flawless.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is the first time I have basically not known any of the songs on the list. I know the Justin Timberlake one, the Ariana Grande one and the Florence one. I like the former and latter but Dangerous Woman is kind of boring to me compared to her earlier stuff (I also don't recognize the next two songs she released that you mentioned, derp me, I gotta get back into watching music channels again).

I'm not a massive fan of Justin Timberlake but damn that is one helluva catchy song.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse when it comes to pop music. I obviously knew the Florence one and JT's... but the rest appear to have passed me by!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I was surprised Rhianna's Sledgehammer didn't get more air play, it was gorgeous. Also I super agree about ariana's vocals in dangerous woman.

JT's was another one where I just got sick of it from being over played.

Also Bruno Mars' entire album for 24K is just fun and funky!

I also have fallen in love with Britney's new album. I think it takes it back to full powerful britney! The lyrics aren't amazing in this video but I love the whole thing so much.

There's a song on her new album, What you need, that has a holy crap vocal range. I was surprised and impressed.

there's not a video for it yet but here it is on spotify.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ariana Grande is a good vocalist, I think

Cool Girl: Tove Lo
    Oooooh! I loved how this sounded and looked her up on Spotify just to find out that I knew like a ton of her songs already. I just never knew it was all her. I have a new album or two to dig through now! Yay!

Sia: "The Greatest"
    Alessia Cara: "Scars to Your Beautiful"
    Lady Gaga: "Perfect Illusion"
    Beyonce: "Sorry"

Are some that would show up on my list.
    I'm with you though. All of Beyonce's "Lemonade" is amazing.
    Speaking of visual albums, Todrick Hall's "Straight Out of Oz" is just as amazing, imho. (While I really like "Wrong Bitch" a lot, "Water Guns" is just so emotionally striking.)

Some Text Here.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Tove Lo's debut album had some decent stuff on it so I gave Lady Wood a try and didn't care for it at all, it was really disappointing.

Anyway, here's my favourite pop song of the year:

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Albeit, not a Pop song, but surely Song of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This is the first time I have basically not known any of the songs on the list.
    Yeah, been struggling to recognize alot of 2016 tunes when wanting to listen to them on Spotify, it takes 50 seconds into usually for me to remember the song.

2016 music has been pretty forgettable, or maybe it's because I'm not a teenager anymore so I'm not " in the know ".

Articles
    Blog Entries

I tried through subtle manipulation to get Night Fury to include my favourite pop songs on this list, but to no avail. The biggest ones missing here for me are

Flume - Say It feat. Tove Lo

Major Lazer - Cold Water feat. Justin Bieber & MŲ

I dunno what it is that makes me like some pop songs and hate most others, my only exposure to them is the car radio when I'm driving with NF. All I know is Bieber has been on a tear for over a year now, and I like almost everything I hear that has Tove Lo on it. Flume's a little more hit and miss, but his Tennis Court remix was awesome.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Wow. I've only heard three or four of those songs, and I only liked one of them.

I'm getting old.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Wow. I've only heard three or four of those songs, and I only liked one of them.

I'm getting old.
    I know none of them proudly. Happy to get old and play video games with you n