Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of the Year 2016 Edition

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Game of the Year 2016 Edition

It's the end of the year still for a few of usbut what the hell, let's ask the question. What was your Game of the Year?

To make this fun, you can do one that is only for games released this year and one for any game you played this year for the first time.

I did not play a whole lot of new games this year but of the two I did, I may give this to Final Fantasy XV Brotrip, with I am Setsuna being a close second.

In terms of playing for the first time, probably The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Wind Waker would be my second choice.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's hands down Overwatch for me! Followed by Stardew Valley, and then Pokemon Moon!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Completed: sun n moon
    playing: ffxv.

played for first time: definatly ffxiv. Forget game o the year. Its game o the decade. ( will forget it before 2026lol

Dragon Quest VII and then World of Final Fantasy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played one game that came out this year, so DQVII in terms of that.

Have to think about the other half.

I. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess High Definition, and the HD does not matter, Twilight Princess itself has such a power it instantly brought me back to the franchise, the GameCube version would have done as well. it actually had, as I tried it out last ... now, 2 years ago.
    II. World of Final Fantasy & Final Fantasy XV
    III. Life is Strange
    IV. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    V. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker High Definition
    VI. Gravity Rush Remastered & Atelier Sophie The Adventurer of the Mysterious Book

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I don't know if I played anything but Forza Horizons 3 or EA NHL 17. Guess I will go with Forza, though am going to hope on FFXV soon.

Honestly I didn't play too much released last year. XCOM2, FFXV, DOOM, DXMD and The Last Guardian. I haven't finished TLG or DOOM yet so... my vote goes to XCOM 2!

In terms of games I played for the first time: Gravity Rush Remastered. Gosh that's such a good game, and I only completed it yesterday making it my final completed game of 2016. As a game designer the amount of smart systems at play in that game make it extra special, and Kat is a wonderful protagonist. She's just such a nice, normal girl who happens to have this super power. I like how she's smitten with the dorky bomb disposal guy and I wish he would pay more attention to her.

Also, this is probably the best Vita -> PS4 Remaster I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    Gravity Rush Remastered & Atelier Sophie The Adventurer of the Mysterious Book
    Great minds think alike! I bought Gravity Rush and my first ever Atelier game at the same time just before Christmas. Although I got Atelier Ayesha, I'm gonna wait for Sophie to come out on Steam.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Overwatch hands down.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Stardew Valley was completely untouchable. I haven't had my life invaded by a game for so long. Even when I wasn't playing it, Stardew was there. I'd think about my plans while I was in the shower or at work and as soon as I'd get home I'd throw it on immediately, which is rare for me. I've also never really been one for happy, whimsical, charming, whatever you want to call it games but this one really nailed it for me. It just made me really happy to play it.

The best multiplayer game was Overcooked. If you're looking for a quick casual PC/console couch co-op game for 2-4 players you will not find any better. Very simple and easy to pick up. It's frantic, funny, frustrating but so satisfying at the same time. Word of warning, it will absolutely ruin all of your friendships.

Best DLC was Fallout 4's Nuka World. Disneyland meets Fallout? There are no words. Wonderful aesthetic and some interesting quests. The option to become a Raider is long overdue too.

Lastly, an honourable mention. Although it had many flaws, particularly in the way of its poorly told story, I had fun with FFXV as a game and I put a lot of enjoyable hours into it.

GOTY for me is Uncharted 4.

Pretty easy decision for me. Naughty Dog are hands down one of the absolute best developers in the industry. Uncharted 4 is an incredible game.

Second would be Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and third would be Overwatch.

In terms of games not released in 2016? I played Danganronpa 1 & 2 this year. Amazing games. I can't wait for V3 to come out in 2017.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Technically Umineko was released this year

For a more reasonable 2016 choice, The House in Fata Morgana. It kinda came out of nowhere and then all of a sudden a notable portion of the VN community was showering it with praise and, well, turns out it certainly deserved it.

Honorable mention (for first played this year) goes to Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. Awesome game.

I already have my top ten linked in my Signature, but smurf it here it is without the brief descriptions of each title.

10. Enter the Gungeon.
    9. Nights of Azure.
    8. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2
    7. Trillion: God of Destruction
    6. Moon Hunters
    5. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
    4. Furi
    3. Dark Souls 3
    2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
    1. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

And other good games that didn't make the cut.

Ultratron (PS4)
    Dyna Bomb (PC)
    Suits: A business RPG (PC)
    Pokemon Go (Mobile)
    Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (PS4)
    Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS)
    World of Final Fantasy (PS4)
    Overwatch (PC)
    Pokemon Moon (3DS)
    Shantae (PS4)
    Stardew Valley

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Game of the year released this year: Trails of Cold Steel 2
    Game of the year that I played this year: Probably the Walking Dead Season 1