Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix has been thinking about the popularity difference of FF and DQ

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Square Enix has been thinking about the popularity difference of FF and DQ

Found this interesting article where Square Enix discusses Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and why FF is more popular in the West. Apparently it's on their mind!

http://nintendoeverything.com/square...-series-fresh/

One interesting point is that they are linked to each region's nostalgia differently -- Final Fantasy VII with the rise of PlayStation in the West, and Dragon Quest with the rise of Famicon in Japan.

Anyways, just figured I'd share.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, read this recently as well. It's interesting, though I honestly think SE just have way too high expectations for DQ. It might not be as big as FF around here, but it's still one of the most prominent JRPG series over here, which is still pretty decent.

I really hope this evaluation of theirs is an indication that they're seriously considering releasing X in the West.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

A big issue too is they've never pushed it as much. We sometimes don't even get it in the west! How can you have fans when they can't even play it? Or play it consistently because of that.

I think it also suffers from the Kingdom Hearts problem of being on so many platforms for the games. At least with FF, the only ones that are on random platforms are lesser ones like tactics, or I guess Type-0 but they moved that over on PS4 at least. Dissida? that's just a fighting game. Not really a legit "FF" in the RPG sense.

KH and DQ are just everywhere and many fans can't afford to play on all the systems like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really. Aside from the odd choice of putting IX on the DS, as the games were released chronologically, they went similarly to FF. I, II, III and IV were on NES, V and VI were on SNES, VII was on PSX and VIII was on PS2. Then was the oddball that was IX, but later on X got a PS3 release eventually, though that's multi-platform. XI is coming to PS4 again. It's only the rereleases that got released on various platforms, but that's pretty much the same as FF anyway.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I do think nostalgia is a factor, but more for DQ than FF. The FF series continues to adapt itself and innovate for the times, allowing it to reach a wider audience, while DQ focuses much more on keeping things traditional. So it really relies on that nostalgia to keep it going. FF still brings in new fans and I'm guessing a lot of people played their first FF with XIII or XV. Because Japan got every single DQ entry at original release, that nostalgia is much more ingrained. US got nothing between the Nintendo games and the polarizing DQVII, so the franchise really means nothing over here unless you are an old timer or got into VIII or the DS rereleases.

Honestly, though, I just think the FF series has better games, or at least had their best games timed right at the peak of JRPG love in the West.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, I think that really depends on what you're looking for. Playing through most of both series, I can't really say which one has the better games since they pretty much just offer completely different things.

I think marketing is an issue. VIII was very successful because they made it sell by revamping the menu, adding voices, a symphonic soundtrack, as well as a demo with FFXII. If they play their cards right, XI might do similarly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Idk, I think that really depends on what you're looking for. Playing through most of both series, I can't really say which one has the better games since they pretty much just offer completely different things.

I think marketing is an issue. VIII was very successful because they made it sell by revamping the menu, adding voices, a symphonic soundtrack, as well as a demo with FFXII. If they play their cards right, XI might do similarly.
    Only the very last thing you mentioned for VIII was marketing. All the rest are design choices to make a better game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except it ultimately wasn't. The new UI may have been easier on the eyes, but it slowed down the gameplay significantly, adding more load times and additional animations to something that's meant to be practical and simple by design. The orchestra may be a good idea on paper, but the concert recordings used had terrible sound quality and sometimes actively hurt the experience because of it. The voice acting is pretty good though. All I'm saying is they weren't added to make a better game, but to make it more palatable to Western audiences - hence it's a marketing choice.

Don't know why DQ doesn't do so strongly in the West- V, VII, VIII and IX are smurfing great.

Maybe if they made the MC have big muscles, army gear, have a massive gun, be macho, be bald and white and maybe " Mericans would play it.

DRAGON QUEST XII
    KISS BANG BANG KISS

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

In Europe they didn't even release a DQ game until DQVIII... in 2006.

Hardly shocking that Europeans don't have much attachment toward the series. Infact, in Europe, the majority of the series only hit the market within the last 8 or so years as DS/Mobile titles.

A lot of people that I meet know what Dragon Quest is but are ultimately turned off by the Akira Toriyama artstyle for some reason and the very traditional JRPG structure. And like all of the reasons mentioned above, it all comes down to the fact that Square Enix doesn't push it much. I think this goes back to when Final Fantasy VII released and that game made Square ahead of Enix and basically on top of the JRPG market/genre. Both of them were having troubles selling their games in the west and Square just managed to beat Enix in the race. Then again, it's still a very well known franchise. Final Fantasy just came before it in the west in terms of popularity. Pokemon, however, manages to overshadow both.

Interesting read here - https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonquest...l_well_in_the/

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

One thing Square could've done was try to promote DQ more in the West when DBZ became a thing. They could've tried to ride the coattails of that, considering it's the same artists working on both, to draw some attention.

Also, they mention FFVII as the source of nostalgia for FF fans, but I would argue that the SNES games were even more so. The 16-bit era was when RPGs started making waves in the west. You had FF as #1 and maybe Phantasy Star as #2. Then you had Chrono Trigger, which just blew up. The Super Famicom version of DQ weren't even released in NA until many years later.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Interesting article and kind of expresses what I think is the case - it's not that DQ is unsuccessful, since it's definitely still one of the most recognizable series in the JRPG genre, it's just that in Japan DQ is the biggest thing ever, and maybe they just think that if that isn't the case in the West, then that's a failure? Idk, I really kind of feel like this is insulting to us DQ fans in the West. Browsing the DQ reddit I've noticed that the DQ fans are some of the loyal and devoted fans on the market, united in what they want out of the series, completely respectful of what the creators put out, regardless of the game's actual quality (granted, I've yet to play a DQ game that would disappoint me in the slightest, but this is kind of beside the point). Compare it to the FF reddits and, well, this forum, where people really can't agree on anything regarding FF and the unrealistic demands made in many regards only serve to splinter the fanbase further. Of course, this is a direct result of FF having wider appeal in general and thus attracting people with a broad range of expectations into the table.

The art style thing, though, may actually also be true. As they mentioned in the first article Pike linked up, Westerners do tend to associate cartoony graphics with kids' games in most cases, whereas that is really not the case in Japan. Of course, I would never want for a DQ game to not have Toriyama's distinct style associated with it, but I get it. Which is why I think the key to DQ's success in the West is the proper marketing, as was the case with VIII (and IX to a lesser extent, though that game's sales were still really high).

But sadly, nowadays it looks like SE is more like "Oh well, I guess Westerners - those foreign, alien beings of legend - cannot wrap their heads around the greatness that is DQ. Trying to sell it to them would be pointless. Let's just see how the next game goes and if it doesn't sell double the Japanese amount, I guess that's it and we're done. It was just never meant to be."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

SE does that not just for DQ. They really have a backwards way of thinking that if their games don't break sales records then it's our fault for not appreciating how excellent they are.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still, Bravely Default was a surprise success despite selling much fewer copies than any DQ game.