Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF Mafia Dissidia

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm back! I'll re-read through various things and go from there.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright, pfew, got through most of it.

Considering that Fynn was watched and nobody cried fuss about it, we can probably be sure that Fynn is a townie. I base this mostly on the fact that there are 2 mafia, and both have roles. And I'm guessing one was doing the killing, and the other using its power. Speculation, but grounded in (mafia) reality, I'd say.

Fynn is now my bro.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Alright, pfew, got through most of it.

Considering that Fynn was watched and nobody cried fuss about it, we can probably be sure that Fynn is a townie. I base this mostly on the fact that there are 2 mafia, and both have roles. And I'm guessing one was doing the killing, and the other using its power. Speculation, but grounded in (mafia) reality, I'd say.

Fynn is now my bro.
    Well on that logic I was investigated twice and no-one kicked up a fuss about that.

I think it is safe to assume that both mafia probably have a power role. It'd just be rather unbalanced for there to be a mafia member with no role whatsoever. Furthermore, while there might be time to not use a power role during night, I don't see the first night role to be a time to restrain yourself. Thus, I agree both mafia used a power role last night. It'd be highly unusual for the mafia to not utilise what they have.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I agree with Formy here. If you had a power, why not use it. I am also saying this as thinking that the Choas know who each other is.

Sorry for the inactivity. I have a few thoughts on how things have transpired so far.

The 'androgynous' person: If this does refer to Faris, this means that there are in fact three females in the game. Not two (the other claims being Lenna and myself as Garnet).
    What this means is that if you suspect a girl committed the killing as the death post indicates, there are actually at least three possible culprits based off of the character profiles.

Roles in the game: I think people are looking into the death post too heavily. A lot of the time these posts are just for flavor or story purposes, and the actions performed don't necessarily reflect the roles present in the game. If the post did reveal roles present in the game, I think far too much information would be revealed. I definitely think that some of the mafia staples like the Doctor and Sheriff are present, but I wouldn't read too much into them.

Possible mafia roles:
    Since we don't know Seifer's specific role, it's entirely plausible that one of the mafia roles is a Janitor. They would be able to conceal the body's identity and prevent town from learning what he was. Of course it's also possible that the host simply doesn't reveal the identity of a player when they die. I also think there's a possibility of there being a Disguiser in the mafia. This would allow them to swap identities with another player, making the kill appearing as though it were performed by someone else. I don't have any basis for believing this to be the case, but it's still plausible.

Me personally, I believe there is one Janitor and one vanilla mafia. There would likely have to be at least one vanilla mafia considering the smaller number of players. The other role would likely be supportive or deceptive, with the Janitor fitting that description.

Suspects: I don't want to just throw more ambiguity out there, so I'll share some of my thoughts on who I suspect. If there is someone who is lying about their identity, I would suspect Shauna. Shadow is a character that seems the safest to lie about with the least likelihood of being counter-claimed, however it doesn't exactly fit in with the game's characters so far. If we believe the rest of people's claims, most of the characters are part of the main cast of their games. AFAIK Shadow is not really a part of the main crew in VI.

I also think that if it is the case that a female character really did kill qwertysaur, then it is logically between myself, FFNut, or an as of yet unidentified Faris. If someone claimed that character role, I must have missed it.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Roles in the game: I think people are looking into the death post too heavily. A lot of the time these posts are just for flavor or story purposes, and the actions performed don't necessarily reflect the roles present in the game. If the post did reveal roles present in the game, I think far too much information would be revealed. I definitely think that some of the mafia staples like the Doctor and Sheriff are present, but I wouldn't read too much into them.
    No they're accurate descriptions. Karifean confirmed it. So we do need to pay attention to them. It is not just flavor text/story purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I have a question about these write-ups. They're fantastic Karifean, but when you mention the gender, or a hair colour or whatever: are they an accurate portrayal, or a sort of 'story' concept that we shouldn't take as gospel?

Just so we're aware when crafting theories. I've never played a game of Mafia when we've had detailed write-ups like this. I'm happy with them, I just need some clarification, thanks!
    They are an accurate recounting of the events that transpired during the night.
    As for the roles, scruff, Karifean also posted them in the intro thread of what they could possibly be.

Here's the spoiler from the first post.

Here is a list of roles as well as their abilities

Murderer
    A Chaos-aligned role. Can kill someone every night. The chosen player is eliminated from the game unless protected by the Protector in the same night. The murderer cannot kill themselves.

Roleblocker
    A Chaos-aligned role (in this game at least). Can block the ability of another player every night. Whatever night action the chosen player may have decided to do, it will not go through.

Lackey
    A Chaos-aligned role. Can kill someone every night, but only one Lackey may perform a kill per night. If multiple Lackeys decide to do a kill they will all fail, so make sure to communicate. One Lackey being eliminated does not hamper the other Lackeys' ability to kill.

Detective
    A Cosmos-aligned role. Can choose someone every night to investigate. The Detective will then be privately informed of the chosen player's alignment.

Protector
    A Cosmos-aligned role. Can choose someone every night to protect. The chosen player is immune to being killed by the Murderer or Lackeys for this single night. The same player may be chosen repeatedly, but the Protector cannot protect themselves.

Switcher
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose two people every night to switch. Night actions targeting one will target the other instead, and vice versa.

Identifier
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to investigate. The Identifier will then be privately informed of the chosen player's identity. They will not be informed of their role or ability.

Tracker
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to track. The Tracker will then be privately informed of who the chosen player used their ability on that night (if anyone). They will not be informed of anything but the chosen player's username.

Watcher
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to watch. The Watcher will then be privately informed of who used an ability on the chosen player that night. They will not be informed of anything but those players' usernames.

Vanilla
    Appears on either alignment. Has no special abilities.

Unless specified otherwise you cannot target yourself with your ability. If you end up targeting yourself anyways due to the Switcher switching you and your intended target, your ability will simply fail.

And what roles will be in this game?

The Chaos side will definitely consist of either one Murderer and a supplementary role or two Lackeys. The supplementary role may be the Roleblocker, but it may also be any of the other 'either alignment' roles in the game.

The Cosmos side will definitely consist of at least a Detective, a Protector and one Vanilla player. The other Cosmos-aligned players may be any role that is not explicitly Chaos-aligned, including more Vanilla players.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

On top of what Freya has said, Karifean specified in his OP that the roles of each individual would not be revealed:

When a player is eliminated, their identity and alignment is openly revealed but their ability is not. You'll have to deduce what abilities remain in the game by yourselves.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, yeah, they're accurate, but I don't think their lore has anything to do with the characters. So I don't really think CID "remembering" anything about the victim has any relevance. Unless we are supposed to imagine him as Cid Kramer because some detail from his appearance may play a role in a future reveal?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    On top of what Freya has said, Karifean specified in his OP that the roles of each individual would not be revealed:

When a player is eliminated, their identity and alignment is openly revealed but their ability is not. You'll have to deduce what abilities remain in the game by yourselves.
    So that would mean that we are missing either a detective or an identifier. So that leaves CID as the other. Depending on what that role is, he may be guaranteed Cosmos, or potentially Chaos. While Faris is either a tracker or a roadblocker, I think, making them another potential Chaos member.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Okay, thanks Karifean. With that knowledge then, what Fox said is broadly accurate. I'd be interesting to ask what people's persona are. I know it isn't obligatory, and people could be lying, but if everyone voices who they are, we might learn something.
    Yeah, just to confirm to everyone that both me and Fox did kinda ask people to say who they were. I'm not putting much stock into them, because people could be lying or claiming something they are not. It is interesting though discussing the members here who have always claimed who they are (not knowing how much detail would be in write-ups), and those who claimed post-reveal.

I'm not saying everyone who claimed a persona post-reveal are Mafia, but it is definitely something to keep in mind as more details come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think the only person we can safely assume is completely honest about their identity is Formy since Keflavik was pretty clearly part of that description. So either he got it or was really lucky in guessing that someone had it - in which case the person who actually got Kefka knows that he's lying. That said, that doesn't mean he's truthful about everything - he could very well be working for Chaos but just decided to do nothing that night.
    Maybe I've not played enough Mafia games, but what does not doing anything gain? Especially so early on. I mean, if you're mafia, it's day six, and the heat is on you, then sure, but at Day One, it doesn't make sense not to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Poor qwerty. But I generally disagree that we have to look into why qwerty was killed off. He didn't say anything of any real note. He was a town. He's a threat to the mafia by existing.
    True enough. As the days linger on though, it'd be worth considering how active that person was in conversation, to see whether they had any theories that would've spooked the mafia, or another reason. At this stage, it could very well be a 'eh, he'll do'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Here's a list of potential roles these people could have:

Roleblocker
    A Chaos-aligned role (in this game at least). Can block the ability of another player every night. Whatever night action the chosen player may have decided to do, it will not go through.
    Detective
    A Cosmos-aligned role. Can choose someone every night to investigate. The Detective will then be privately informed of the chosen player's alignment.
    Identifier
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to investigate. The Identifier will then be privately informed of the chosen player's identity. They will not be informed of their role or ability.
    Tracker
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to track. The Tracker will then be privately informed of who the chosen player used their ability on that night (if anyone). They will not be informed of anything but the chosen player's username.
    Watcher
    Appears on either alignment. Can choose someone every night to watch. The Watcher will then be privately informed of who used an ability on the chosen player that night. They will not be informed of anything but those players' usernames.
    Can I just say those five similar but different roles confuse the heck out of me.

That's kind of stupid. The formatting of the initial post in this thread is awful; I literally didn't even see the role list until just now.

I also think that the death post revealed way too much information. There's no way everyone should have access to who was investigated by whom, who was protected, etc.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still, most of those roles can be any alignment, unlike in regular mafia where specific alignments have specific roles. It still makes things vague, just in a different fashion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the majority of the roles are either/or. There's still plenty of room for debate in these.

Yeah, the majority of the roles are either/or. There's still plenty of room for debate in these.
    I disagree. Why would mafia have multiple abilities in a game with only ~7 town? I think at least one mafia has an ability, but the other would likely just be vanilla. It would make the game broken otherwise.

The game is honestly completely broken at this point. We have a bunch of character claims, known roles, and now we can see who performed which action against whom in the death post?

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I also think that if it is the case that a female character really did kill qwertysaur, then it is logically between myself, FFNut, or an as of yet unidentified Faris. If someone claimed that character role, I must have missed it.
    Good point. I hadn't noticed that you guys claimed the girl roles. 1 in 3 chance is not bad. Especially since I have not much else to go on now.

##unvote: Freya

Hmmmmm... Normally I would vote FFnut, as you wouldn't point it out if it incriminates you in a way. But you are a veteran mafia player, by your own account, so I don't know... You could be misleading... Or banking on the mysterious third. For now, though:

##vote: Scruffington

Scruffy will die the way he lived.

*opens boobie magazine*