Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How it Started

Default How it Started

So I've been wondering, what made you guys pick up and play your first FF game?

When you've just beaten Dragon Quest and you're hungry for more, RPG pickings on the NES are pretty slim.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Someone told me to play FF6, so I did, but I didn't get REALLY into FF until I played FF Tactics Advance a few years later. That game I just happened to preorder because I read a preview in Nintendo Power and it looked good, and boy that was a good decision.

After that I went and blitzed through like all the FF games that had been released up to that point.

Before Final Fantasy VII released, I already had come to know of the Final Fantasy series and JRPGs. As a very young kid, I was crazy and all about Pokemon back then. To be fair, I was crazy for anything Nintendo popped out. Then my cousin gifted me her SNES along with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV(known as Final Fantasy II), and Final Fantasy VI(known as Final Fantasy III). Those games' with their soundtrack alone pulled me in, specifically the Prelude theme for both the FF games, To Far Away Times(CT), and the entirety of the soundtrack for Final Fantasy VI. Pokemon was a thing of the past for me starting thereon. Around Final Fantasy VII's release, I was huge into anime at the time. The spiky haired blond dude on the cover of Final Fantasy VII appealed a lot to me. I got my mom to pre-order the game for me along with a PlayStation. She first asked me what the game was about and she was well aware of Dragonball Z and such(calling it the "Goku" show) so I said, it was a Dragonball Z game. She thought that Cloud looked like Super Saiyan Goku(she doesn't know what Super Saiyans are, she just saw a clip of Goku turning Super Saiyan) so she just went ahead and bought it(I had a lot of trouble buying games because if it wasn't Mario, Pokemon, or something Nintendo made I'd have a hard time getting it so I'd have to convince her in a way).

I played the hell out of Final Fantasy VII when it came out. To be fair, I was the only person that I was aware of playing Final Fantasy VII where I lived. I would come to people in my school and ask them about it and they'd be like, "Final What?" Granted, the area I lived in was very indifferent to things from Japan. The only anime people knew about was Pokemon and they didn't even know that it was an anime, associating it with any normal kid's cartoon at the time. I told my cousin about it. She didn't own a PlayStation at the time so she never played Final Fantasy VII at the time of its peak(she played it eventually just not during the 90's). However, she definitely was aware of it. I think she was just more into Pokemon at the time.

Final Fantasy VII reminded me a lot of AKIRA, which was something I loved a lot back then(I still love it just not as much as I used to). The atmosphere was something that I still enjoy to this day. The sci-fi fantasy surrounding the game with a very awesome soundtrack. Spent at least 200 hours just messing around in the game. I also over-leveled the hell out of myself just looking for Yuffie. It was a thing I could do back then, grind for hours upon hours.

Since then, I bought a plethora of JRPGs, quickly becoming my favorite genre. When Xenogears launched, I was just walking around a Game-stop and this was around a time where my mom said I could buy any game I wanted. I was interested in buying M-rated and adult games for some reason. Then, I turned around when my brother pointed me to Xenogears. I was huge into Gundam, Evangelion, and mecha anime in general so I sat there looking at the cover for at least 20 minutes. I was like, "is this Gundam?" I asked the Game-stop employee up front about the game and he said, "I never played that game but if I recall correctly I was told it's a RPG type game with giant robots." I purchased it straight away as soon as I heard giant robot, came home, popped it into my PlayStation, and played upon hours of this game. The first fight scene with Fei and the Gebler units attacking Lahan got me so hooked and from that I became obsessed with Xenogears. I was experimenting with the game to death. Xenogears solidified my love for the genre.

The rest is history.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

For me it was a mix up at the game rental place. Tried renting one game, but the accidentally gave me Final Fantasy. My dad wouldn't go back to the place for the mix up so I was stuck with it. Plugged it in and... Magic. Been playing JRPG's and the like since.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I really don't remember why, I just remember wanting the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm in a pretty terrible mood today so I'll keep it short instead of writing a long story like I would if this was a normal day.
    Basically someone gave me FFIX and I played it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Back in grade school I was into Pokemon. Before that, my dad and I played a bit of Diablo. That's essentially how RPGs began for me. Then my friends discovered this website that was filled with JRPG roms. We all came there for Pokemon, but I soon branched out to Final Fantasy. The first I actually tried was Mystic Quest, but I didn't play it for long. Then I moved on to IV, V, and VI, and the rest is history.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't even remember when my brother got FF VII, he just had it and played it at some point, and I joined eventually.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I rented a lot of random games after I got my PlayStation from our local video rental store thing, back when they were genuinely viable companies. Picked up FFVII. Loved it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I apparently played FFVIII when I was mega young, but what made me start wanting to play was Spirits Within. I liked the movie and was told there was a series of video games. So I started doing the research and found Yuna, who I thought looked somewhat like the protag of the movie, and wanted to play it. Then I saw that FFX-2 was announced and it was ALL GIRLS WITH DRESS UP and I wanted it, but it wasn't out yet. So instead I got FFVII, VIII, IX, and X to hold me over, and that's how I got in to the series!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I kept reading a walkthrough for Final Fantasy VII that I don't have anymore (it was part of a cheats and tips book for PlayStation) and just had to get the game, because it sounded interesting. The walkthrough gave me just enough detail, but never explicitly gave anything a way, so I was curious (it was excellent at not spoiling things, from what I remember).

It was also a strangely written walkthrough in a sense; it put all (or what it knew) of the side quests together and didn't really say how to do them (it mentioned Gold Chocobo only locations, for instance, and didn't say you needed a Gold Chocobo) and got several boss's names wrong - not least referring to Sample:H0512 as "Jenova Specimen". I'd love to read it again one day.

Actually, I just did some googling, and if you're interested in what the boss's where named - it seems to be all here, this is not how the walkthrough was written, but there are similarities (like whoever wrote this may have changed the wording of the walkthrough) these appear to be the wrong boss names they used (though I'm not sure about "Gi Attack" and Hundred Gunner, Helli-Gunner and "End of Sephiroth" weren't even named in the walkthrough).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Growing up my MawMaw had a SNes with two games. Link to the Past and Mystic Quest. I loved Mystic Quest and at the rental place I saw Final Fantasy II. Thinking it was a sequel I got it. Played a ways into it and figured out it wasn't a sequel, but I was hooked. And went around and started playing them all. And of course II was actually IV.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nintendo Power released a really kick-ass guide for the original FF and it looked really cool. I also really liked the FF Legend games and only later found out they are just FF by name for Western appeal!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I got Brave Fencer Musashi and it had a demo for VIII, which I loved! I rented VIII and hated it. But I rented IX and adored it. And here we are.