Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV now ships 6 million units

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Glad to see the series doing so well, here's hoping it continues for a long time!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

yeah despite the handful of people that wanna claim "it's not a real Final Fantasy" or "it's not worthy of the Final Fantasy brand" it seems to be doing quite well... i really hope to see this title continue to sale and more improvements made upon it, like added chapters, characters, & features beyond what the season pass already gets us...

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    yeah despite the handful of people that wanna claim "it's not a real Final Fantasy" or "it's not worthy of the Final Fantasy brand" it seems to be doing quite well... i really hope to see this title continue to sale and more improvements made upon it, like added chapters, characters, & features beyond what the season pass already gets us...
    It's more than a handful of people. This game sold well because it had a massive marketing campaign behind it. If it were a better game, I guarantee it would be doing much better than 6M. The number is still impressive though, which means there is some chance of another mainline FF game.

Also those improvements won't really matter much to the 6 million people who have already purchased the game. Some of those enhancements are probably still at least 6 months out.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Also those improvements won't really matter much to the 6 million people who have already purchased the game. Some of those enhancements are probably still at least 6 months out.
    I don't know where you're getting your info on that, but it isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. The improvements, regardless of how long they take to complete, are still going to be getting looked forward too by some of the people that bought the game day one. For some of those people, it'll be a deciding factor in rather or not they spend more money on the game with some of the DLC content.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Based on feedback from people at EoFF, on reddit and metacritic and elsewhere, I'd say that FFXV has done very well with customers and that the high sales reflects this well.

"If it were a better game, it would sell more" can literally be said about every single game in the entire world, including every other game in the Final Fantasy series.

The feedback from the public has been better than that of XII and XIII, as far as I can tell. I agree more than a handful said it was not good, but again, that can be said about every other game in the FF series.

Nice to see a handful of people enjoyed it at least!

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    I don't know where you're getting your info on that, but it isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. The improvements, regardless of how long they take to complete, are still going to be getting looked forward too by some of the people that bought the game day one. For some of those people, it'll be a deciding factor in rather or not they spend more money on the game with some of the DLC content.
    It's completely speculative. My guess is that the 3 DLC episodes are going to take a decent amount of time to complete (maybe 2-3 months each, perhaps longer). Also creating cutscenes, getting voice work done, and potentially adding new gameplay sections is a huge task. I assume they are going to do all of this to give Ravus a bigger role in the story, and it will definitely take a long time.

For me the changes are far too late. I already got burned on the story and don't really care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Based on feedback from people at EoFF, on reddit and metacritic and elsewhere, I'd say that FFXV has done very well with customers and that the high sales reflects this well.

"If it were a better game, it would sell more" can literally be said about every single game in the entire world, including every other game in the Final Fantasy series.

The feedback from the public has been better than that of XII and XIII, as far as I can tell. I agree more than a handful said it was not good, but again, that can be said about every other game in the FF series.
    I should have gave my post more context.

At some point before the game came out (I believe it was 2015 or 2016) Square Enix had said they were looking to sell 10 million copies of FFXV. I'm not sure if that was the company's goals or Tabata's team's goals, but it was a stated goal either way. My point is that if they had been able to put out a better product, they would have been closer to achieving their objective.

Also the feedback from the public has not been better than XII or XIII. If we're just going off of Metacritic scores, XII has a 92%. XIII has an 83%. XV has an 82%, which I believe is the lowest score in the entire series excluding the original XIV.

XIII has also sold somewhere around 7.5 million units (including the Steam release). It sold over 6.6 million units by mid-2013. This is despite its disadvantage of having come out in 2010 when digital purchases of full games weren't as frequent as they are now.

By the numbers I think XV has underperformed compared to the two games you have referenced.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I still don't know how much it's selling in Japan. I think console gaming is literally dead there if even the most popular franchise next to Dragon Quest can barely pull a million(from what I heard).

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

This game is taking me a long time to finish because I keep playing social co-op games with friends and fam instead of spending my time with it haha. I've put in about 12 hrs now though so i'm slowly working through it.

So i'm glad it's selling well. I will have the time to wait on DLC since i'm taking my time with the story. It's only been out what like 2 months? I'm sure it'll have even more sales over time

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Also the feedback from the public has not been better than XII or XIII. If we're just going off of Metacritic scores, XII has a 92%. XIII has an 83%. XV has an 82%, which I believe is the lowest score in the entire series excluding the original XIV.
    I mean, if you think critic scores are worth going by, sure. I pay more attention to user scores when evaluating public opinion. In my experience over the years at EoFF and elsewhere, the user scores tend to be fairly reflective of public opinion.

FFXII: 7.6
    FFXIII: 7.2
    FFXV: 7.7

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Average user scores can also be skewed by people rating it on the extremes just to affect the score. Another measure is the distribution of positive/neutral/negative reviews. Here's how the last FF games stack up:

FFXII: 68%/16%/16%
    FFXIII: 62%/16%/22%
    FFXV: 72%/10%/18%

XV has more positive ratings then the two prior games but less neutral ratings, meaning people were more likely to love it or hate it. Overall, though, it's hard to argue that XV has been received worse than XIII or even XII by fans.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I mean, if you think critic scores are worth going by, sure. I pay more attention to user scores when evaluating public opinion. In my experience over the years at EoFF and elsewhere, the user scores tend to be fairly reflective of public opinion.

FFXII: 7.6
    FFXIII: 7.2
    FFXV: 7.7
    Basing your opinion off of "user scores" is a pretty bad metric to go by.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, for example, has a 3.5 user score on Metacritic. This is because the series is notorious for a lot of people dismissing it as a repetitive and tired franchise that fails to innovate. A vast majority of these people giving it a low score have simply never played the game. And the ones that have are exaggerating its problems, as it is far from a terrible game. A 3.5 score should only be reserved for games which have severe technical flaws or other terrible problems. The game doesn't deserve a bad score just because of its title alone.

With respect to FFXIII a lot of people have adopted a similar mentality. They hear others complaining about it being a "corridor simulator" and give it low score reviews despite either not having played the game, or exaggerating the issues with the game. Some people will call a game "boring" and give it a score of 0. It isn't justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Average user scores can also be skewed by people rating it on the extremes just to affect the score. Another measure is the distribution of positive/neutral/negative reviews. Here's how the last FF games stack up:

FFXII: 68%/16%/16%
    FFXIII: 62%/16%/22%
    FFXV: 72%/10%/18%

XV has more positive ratings then the two prior games but less neutral ratings, meaning people were more likely to love it or hate it. Overall, though, it's hard to argue that XV has been received worse than XIII or even XII by fans.
    I disagree. Despite its supposed linearity issues, I never heard nearly as much complaining about XIII as I have about XV. I browse NeoGAF, reddit, and sometimes even /v/ and XV seems to be a disappointing entry by unanimous decision. Of course this doesn't account for the whole 'XIII vs XV' debate, and it's entirely my interpretation of the general consensus. It also doesn't account for people who have positive feelings about the game as they aren't as likely to post about it.

I really don't think XV is a bad game. In fact there are elements of it that I absolutely love. But in terms of overall quality I feel that XV was a disappointment.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I think XIII was a fundamentally better game than FFXV.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I disagree. Despite its supposed linearity issues, I never heard nearly as much complaining about XIII as I have about XV. I browse NeoGAF, reddit, and sometimes even /v/ and XV seems to be a disappointing entry by unanimous decision. Of course this doesn't account for the whole 'XIII vs XV' debate, and it's entirely my interpretation of the general consensus. It also doesn't account for people who have positive feelings about the game as they aren't as likely to post about it.

I really don't think XV is a bad game. In fact there are elements of it that I absolutely love. But in terms of overall quality I feel that XV was a disappointment.
    Hearing people complain on forums is anecdotal, even if you visit a lot of forums. Obviously XV is not unanimously disliked because 72% of those users liked it. You are right that people are more likely to post about something to complain about it than praise it. And it could be true that the differences in the Metacritic ratings are not statistically significant and that you would need to compile these scores from other sites and factor in that XIII has been out longer and maybe even do a head to head comparison... but I'll leave that to people who want to project presidential elections. This isn't really that important. And besides:

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    I think XIII was a fundamentally better game than FFXV.
    I just took a poll based on a random sample of people with FFVIII inspired names who have posted in this thread and the verdict is in: 100% of users people believe that FFXV is worse than FFXIII. We can shut this whole debate down, now.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum