Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk Nintendo Switch Games

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Guys. Guys. It was a joke. Just like the burning the building comment.

EDIT: Should add more. Feel free to critique the Switch. For me personally I like what it is doing. You guys have issues with it. That's fine! I'll admit I was irritable in the other thread, but not actually upset. I was just trying to lighten the mood, but it looks like I was taken a bit seriously, so sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Okay. So I guess everyone that isn't totally sold on these games or the console should just shut up about their concerns? That sounds like a mature way of handling the existence of different opinions.
    Sorry Vivi22, but I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Nintendo has ALWAYS been concerned with creating quality games. They are consistently one of the best developers in the industry because their titles have an almost unmatched level of polish, detail, and engaging gameplay.

Nintendo the console developer has proven time and time again that they do not know what they are doing. A lot of it has to do with the fact that Nintendo of Japan makes all of the decisions. They stick to tradition as opposed to adapting to what the modern consumer actually wants.
    Your post does have a good amount of merit to it. I will admit that Nintendo does have the strongest line up of first party titles. However, there are several of their IPs that rarely see the light of day and collect dust for no telling how long. I am sure for as long as Nintendo has been around, they know what they are doing for the most part. It is as you had briefly mentioned, tradition holds them back in some aspects. Where they do fall short in is worldwide appeal, which in reality they may not even be concerned with that given how successful their handheld products do in Japan and in other parts of the world to different degrees. With The Switch having some form of mobile gaming, I can only assume that was partly put in place to appeal to Japan's gaming culture with handhelds.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Nintendo is over 100 years old in reality. They started as a trading card company for gambling which is why when Pokemon got a card game I saw that as a bit of a cash cow Easter Egg type thing. FS makes another good point with the hand held culture of Japan that falls a little short in the western world.

Honestly I think the best thing about the Switch is Nintendo has finally removed the Region Locking.

Now if we can get companies to release games with English subs, a lot of games that don't come out in the west (Or get censored/altered in various ways), you can simply import the original.

That being said, the best looking games of the first year?

Breath of the Wild, Bomberman, Mario, and Xenoblade.

Though in, presumably, 2018 I'm hoping for some sweet SMT action, as well as the Story of Seasons title.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It was pretty neat to see that horses will have stats in Breath of the Wild, they're really honing in on the RPG aspects. I can already see myself becoming a horse collector and being real careful with my steeds since they can be killed in battle. I can already tell that getting Epona will be epic. Since she has legendary status I think she'll be immortal, otherwise it would really suck if you went through some special event to get her and she dies.

I truly cannot wait to see more from the game it looks like it's going to be huge. There's some footage of Fast Racing RMX too. The gae looks okay. I can't get too excited however. I haven't played racing games since the PS2 era, but I do remember that they couldn't keep my attention for over a week. It's something I'm eager to try out however.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's battle mode looks spectacular. It brought up all the memories I had playing with my older brother on SNES. That chaotic feel was perfectly integrated now that battles have proper tracks dedicated to them. The Bob-omb Blast battles didn't look as fun as the standard Balloon Battles which will be my go to, but I can see myself playing it sometimes. The design of the courses are really well made. Urchin Underpass has the ink splats which reduce speed when driven in so you have to watch out for that, the Luigi's mansion arena has some really good music and the gap on the top floor allows for some quick navigation to either escape from a pursuing enemy or to quickly get to one of your friends to hit them with a red shell. I really hope I can get a well paying job by the time this comes out.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Guys. Guys. It was a joke. Just like the burning the building comment.

EDIT: Should add more. Feel free to critique the Switch. For me personally I like what it is doing. You guys have issues with it. That's fine! I'll admit I was irritable in the other thread, but not actually upset. I was just trying to lighten the mood, but it looks like I was taken a bit seriously, so sorry about that.
    Ah, you did seem a bit irritable in the other thread which is why I thought you were being serious. Honest misunderstanding, no harm done.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I'm interested to see what the system will have to offer in another year. I like the idea of a combined portable/home console.

My two biggest possible concerns are the expected battery life (which isn't too surprising), and the very tiny and cramped looking controllers.

As in, the controllers already look tiny, and instead of spreading out the interface points they're very close together on already limited space.

If you're using both at once, fine. If you're doing some couch co-op with a friend then I think the controllers are going to be annoying.

That means you're probably going to want to buy pro controller, which is extra cost right out of the gate.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

How funny that they go from the gigantic WiiU controller to these. Good luck having big hands and playing this (at least President Trump won't have a problem with it).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    It was pretty neat to see that horses will have stats in Breath of the Wild, they're really honing in on the RPG aspects. I can already see myself becoming a horse collector and being real careful with my steeds since they can be killed in battle. I can already tell that getting Epona will be epic. Since she has legendary status I think she'll be immortal, otherwise it would really suck if you went through some special event to get her and she dies.

I truly cannot wait to see more from the game it looks like it's going to be huge. There's some footage of Fast Racing RMX too. The gae looks okay. I can't get too excited however. I haven't played racing games since the PS2 era, but I do remember that they couldn't keep my attention for over a week. It's something I'm eager to try out however.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's battle mode looks spectacular. It brought up all the memories I had playing with my older brother on SNES. That chaotic feel was perfectly integrated now that battles have proper tracks dedicated to them. The Bob-omb Blast battles didn't look as fun as the standard Balloon Battles which will be my go to, but I can see myself playing it sometimes. The design of the courses are really well made. Urchin Underpass has the ink splats which reduce speed when driven in so you have to watch out for that, the Luigi's mansion arena has some really good music and the gap on the top floor allows for some quick navigation to either escape from a pursuing enemy or to quickly get to one of your friends to hit them with a red shell. I really hope I can get a well paying job by the time this comes out.
    Bob-omb blast was in Double Dash and let me tell you, it's amazing.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Lack of good JRPGs, mostly ports, and yeah... a very uninteresting system.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As for the games, Zelda and Mario Odyssey look like Nintendo's standard awesome first party games in those series. I have no doubt I'll love them. Xenoblade, the SE RPG, and Fire Emblem (if it's a real FE game and not a Dynasty Warriors hybrid which is what it sounds like) are also intriguing but I need to wait and see and I probably won't feel too bad if I don't play them. So that's not enough for me to get this.

I'll say this again, if Nintendo does not capitalize on its current most successful system (the 3DS) in the transition to Switch it is doomed to fail with a lineup and support like this. It needs to be more than just a portable console if it wants to compete as its own thing, because it certainly doesn't appear to be competitive with the other consoles in terms of game support, price, and specs. I would love to see an announcement of the next Pokemon game (maybe too soon after Sun/Moon for that) or some other series that found a niche on the DS/3DS like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Bravely Default, etc. in addition to continuation of Nintendo's console franchises and ports of other console games. Seeing Tetris up there is a nice start. A new 2D Metroid would be perfect for something like this as Metroid has had great success on both handheld and consoles.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I haven't had a chance to see anything about it specifically, but hearing about a new Bomberman was unexpected and exciting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    or some other series that found a niche on the DS/3DS like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Bravely Default, etc. in addition to continuation of Nintendo's console franchises and ports of other console games. Seeing Tetris up there is a nice start. A new 2D Metroid would be perfect for something like this as Metroid has had great success on both handheld and consoles.
    Professor Layton could find a niche on the larger screen, especially as there's all those quirky features like the gyroscope and rumble that could breathe new life into those Layton puzzles. Phoenix Wright could work as a portable/console hybrid, if people like a more cinematic experience when they play those games. One of the main complaints I sometimes hear with handheld games is "oh, but imagine if I this could be played on the big screen!"

Nintendo needs to find those games, because they'll struggle in a straight-up fight.

How about Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment? The Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, which includes the new campaign (which is apparently a far more radical rebuild than the Plague Knight campaign) will be on the Switch first, and feature amiibo support.

My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.