Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mafia Host Sign-Up Thread

Default Mafia Host Sign-Up Thread

Hey everyone,

This is the sign-up thread to host the new main series of Mafia. The previous main series ended with Mafia XXV, nearly four years ago. With the recent games such as Karifean's Dissidia Mafia and Psychotic's FFIX Mafia, there is a revived interest in both playing and hosting these games. This thread is designed to organize and facilitate them.

I have provided some general guidelines for hosting a Mafia game. Some of these are highly recommended, in fact almost mandatory to implement in some cases (as these situations will inevitably arise).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOSTING GUIDELINES

• No Outside Communication, unless your faction (Mafia, Cultist, Mason) allows you to.

This is effectively cheating. These roles are specifically designed to allow a player to communicate outside of the game. Unless your role states that you can do so, you are not permitted to discuss the game or roles outside of the main thread.

• Posting requirements of at least two (constructive) posts.

This is something I would seriously encourage hosts to implement. It effectively works as an 'afk check.' It sets a requirement that all players are supposed to at least make some effort to contribute to the game discussion.

• Inactivity consequences.

In the event that a player does not meet the posting or voting requirements for the day, there are several actions that a host can take. These include:
    - A warning (PM'd to the player)
    - Modblocked (If their role has a special ability, it will be revoked)
    - Modkilled (The host of the game killing the player)
    If a player informs the host ahead of time that he/she will not be able to participate in the thread for a period of time, then I feel that some leniency should be given to them. This is up to the host's discretion.

• Day Phase and Night Phase time limits.

As with every Mafia game, each phase lasts a specific amount of time. In general, Day Phases last 48 hours while Night Phases last 24 hours. The duration of each phase should be specified in the game thread.

• Use of Mafia accounts.

There are actually several accounts created here at EoFF designed specifically to play Mafia. The host has the option to either have everyone play with their normal accounts or use the Mafia-specific accounts. These accounts can be modified to fit the specific theme of each game (meaning their names and pictures can be changed). If a host wishes to use the Mafia accounts, they should PM Psychotic.

• Organization of the game.

All rules, especially pertaining to voting and posting requirements, should be clearly stated in the game thread. Additionally, the host should also attempt to organize the events of the game in the first post of the thread. This is the way I have organized the game in the past:

- Post 1 contains the rules of the game, as well as game-specific rules.
    - Post 2 contains all of the roles within the game.
    - Post 3 contains all of the players as well as the activities performed within the game. The list will be updated as players are eliminated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOSTING RULES

• No more than one mainline Mafia game can be run at a time.
    • Mainline Mafia Games should be titled in chronological order (Mafia I, Mafia II, etc.)
    • Each game may have a different theme.
    • Hosts can continue to host smaller or spin-off games.

Sign-Up List

1. Laddy - Dad Mafia
    2. Slothy & FFNut - Starcraft Mafia
    3. Karifean
    4. Pumpkin - Atelier Mafia

Last edited by Scruffington; 06-25-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'd also add if a host wants to use the mafia accounts - some hosts will, some won't - then please send me a list of account names and 100 x 100 avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'd also add if a host wants to use the mafia accounts - some hosts will, some won't - then please send me a list of account names and 100 x 100 avatars.
    Thanks for the sticky. I'll add that to the list. How many mafia accounts are there available to use?

Also feedback is appreciated as there's a chance I've missed something. I personally would vote to have the new main series of games start from I since we have a new forum for this now.

And I'd like to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the main Mafia games being once a month. I put that there because I felt that it would help to keep people from getting burnt out on the games. It could even go up to once every two months if everyone thinks it should.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I would love to host a game again. I've hosted quite a few and all of them were a lot of fun. On my phone now so typing is annoying, but I have a lot of resources I can share that are great to help hosts. Also if there is someone who is unsure about hosting a game I'll cohost with you and help you set it up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ooh, I've never hosted a game before, but I'd like to have a shot at it at some point.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Want to host with me Formy?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think being co-host to your game might help me understand the behind-the-scenes mechanics a bit better, so I think I'd co-host first, yeah. Thanks Qwerty!

Alright, I have you two pinned down.

I decided to remove the "one main mafia game per month" rule. It would suck if someone had to wait 9 months to host a game. I think it should just be whenever there's enough players to get a game going and the host is available, they can host it.

I've also added myself to the list; though I'm willing to drop down a few more spots. I'm putting myself at #3 right now since I want someone else to go ahead of me.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Alright, now I'm at an actual computer for once instead of my phone, so here are a few resources that I've used in the past.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?...oles_Main_Page
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?...Category:Types
    This is good start when looking at what roles are common. It is easy to get lost and wind up at the page for a really weird role like "The flying pumpkin that shoots lasers out of its ass." I would advise that you either be conservative and avoid roles that are insane like that or go all in and make a crazy game. It's up to you.

http://mikeburnfire.deviantart.com/a...Roles-72597749
    A great intro flash that I hope still works because I'm on hotel wifi so it naturally is not going to cooperate today. This flash should be your starting point.

https://www.random.org/
    When I need to match roles and players to accounts, I make a list for each. Scramble them up in this site and throw them in a spreadsheet, and your good to go.

https://proboards.com/
    Site to host your faction sites for mafia/masons etc. Just a tip, don't call the forum "EoFF Mafia game forum 2017" or something like that, because google is a thing.

Also some general hosting tips.
    +Make your passwords things around your room and a color, or other things like that. Don't want people getting into the accounts that should not be there. a couple good examples are
    greenphone
    bedblack
    pictureyellow
    lampblue
    minibarcyan
    +Be prepared to cut roles to run the game. Say you make a game fpr 20 and only 17 people sign up. you will have to trim the game, so have roles you may not need.
    +Have fun with it. After all, once the game starts, everyone is putting on a show for you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wasn't sure if my particular brand of games was suitable to be part of the mainline Mafia series, but it seems there are no specific style requirements, so sure, I'll sign up.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe I'm crazy, but a Battlestar Galactica theme sounds like a great idea.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but a Battlestar Galactica theme sounds like a great idea.
    Mr. Carny played a boardgame that featured Battlestar Galactica, where you played as either the heroes or the (hidden!) cylons.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

OMG DO A BSG ONE I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER. Also don't let Paul be Gaius if he plays. That'll have to be a rule.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I'm sure as hell not going to host one so someone else would have to do it.