Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scruffington's Final Fantasy Series Playthrough

Default Scruffington's Final Fantasy Series Playthrough

Hey everyone.

Despite Final Fantasy being my favorite series...I haven't actually beaten every FF game. In fact, I've only completed 6 of them.

Games I have completed: FF5, FF7, FF9, FF10, FF13 and FF15.
    Games I gave up on after getting railed by the final boss: FF3, FF4, FF8.
    Games I barely played: FF1, FF2, FF6, FF12.

This thread is basically intended as a way of measuring my progress on completing the Final Fantasy series. I'll be playing every FF game in chronological order, including ones I have already beaten, throughout all of 2017.

I will be playing all of these games on the PS1 and PS3 (with the exception of FF3 which I can only play on DS).

So yeah. Feel free to join me and reply to my thoughts if you want.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Final Fantasy VIII gives you a final boss for free as long as you have like, 3 Invinicibility Drinks.

Cool! Best of luck! I need to play through them all at some point too, because I've only beaten five of the main numbered ones myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I wish I could join you since this is the series 30th anniversary.

I guess I will be streaming a marathon as well once my exams are over. Now I even remember that I had a talk with Psy at last year's end about this foru streaming thing and that more should stream specific titles.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Im still secretly slowly working on 8 for my marathon lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

8's final boss is super easy if you remember Aura and Vit0 are statuses that pretty much guarantee you won't lose.

As for FFIII, I highly recommend using a Geomancer and a Viking - they can make your life a whole lot easier.

Also, I know you've mentioned that you'll be playing it on PS1, but I highly recommend playing the DS version of FFIV. Especially since you know the game already - IV DS is the definitive version of the game that you shouldn't miss.

And IV DS is much harder when it comes to a reasonable "how much effort does it require for me to make it easy" than the original so if he gave up on the normal one he should probably try out the normal one once again before IV DS.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you put your augments in the right places, it is cakewalk. Dual cast Curaja and Holy, AND Omnicast Edina in the final battle really makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If you put your augments in the right places, it is cakewalk. Dual cast Curaja and Holy, AND Omnicast Edina in the final battle really makes a difference
    Your sentence implies it already: You have to have and know that stuff. Bosses are also much easier with Slow. But not knowing things is one of the major factors for difficulty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But through the magic of this thread, we can start Scruffy into the right direction! ;3

Also, I know you've mentioned that you'll be playing it on PS1, but I highly recommend playing the DS version of FFIV. Especially since you know the game already - IV DS is the definitive version of the game that you shouldn't miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    And IV DS is much harder when it comes to a reasonable "how much effort does it require for me to make it easy" than the original so if he gave up on the normal one he should probably try out the normal one once again before IV DS.
    I actually first played IV on the DS. I got stuck on numerous bosses and Zeromus smashed me. That's why I'm pretty much done with that version of the game.

I also think that the PS1 version of the game is as close to the truest form as I can get. The OST isn't redone like the DS version, which is my biggest motivation for playing it on PS1.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I actually first played IV on the DS. I got stuck on numerous bosses and Zeromus smashed me. That's why I'm pretty much done with that version of the game.

I also think that the PS1 version of the game is as close to the truest form as I can get. The OST isn't redone like the DS version, which is my biggest motivation for playing it on PS1.
    Psp version is best. You can switch between osts and its all complete. The graphica are... opinioble but overall good game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Meh. The new graphics are lame and the game is even less challenging than the GBA version. Plus, they decided to not go with the amazing DS translation here for some reason? But yeah, if you're looking for an easier version, this is probably the way to go. It also comes with the definitive version of The After Years, so there's that!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Meh. The new graphics are lame and the game is even less challenging than the GBA version. Plus, they decided to not go with the amazing DS translation here for some reason? But yeah, if you're looking for an easier version, this is probably the way to go. It also comes with the definitive version of The After Years, so there's that!
    Aye the gba versions pretty good too if you can get past the music lol