Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

When you listen to you guys speaking with each other on a podcast like this, it really makes no difference whether you're a Brit or a kiwi

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think Aerith's demise will be the climax of the first episode.

Episode 1: Until Aerith's Death
    Episode 2: Until Cloud return from the lifestream
    Episode 3: Until End.

I don't think there's enough to get 4 episodes and still have 'a full games worth of content each' as Square have claimed
    I don't think you have enough to get a "full game's worth of content" in each of those, with that split. From the point Cloud returns, to the point you beat the game, is nowhere near the amount of content that's in the beginning to the end of Disc One.
    The trouble is I don't see anywhere to have a split before Aerith gets kebabed. Maybe Cosmo Canyon or Nibelheim but you're not really saving much time to move onto episode 2 there, and Aerith's death is THE turning point of the game. I don't see anywhere you'd have a cut unless you made Midgar its own episode which, IMO, would be horrible.

Maybe a slightly better end of episode 2 would be the point Cloud and Tifa fall into the lifestream together. You've just fought Ultima Weapon, so its pretty climactic, and it gives you a big story moment at the start of episode 3 as Cloud uncovers his true past.
    Well, if Midgar is too short how about Costa Del Sol? Final Boss of the first episode would be JENOVA Birth.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Oh smurf.... just remembered that we are going to see topless Hojo on the beach in modern PS4 graphics....

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly, having played episodic games, I would be really surprised if Midgar isn't the complete first episode. There is a LOT that happens in that, I don't think it would be too short at all. For an episodic purchase, I'd say that it would be more than enough to satisfy me (I'm assuming we're not paying a full £40 for each episode).

That said, if it is a full game price, then I could understand it going through to, say, Junon or something. I think they will provide us with at least 30 hours of entertainment per episode if it is at full game price, if it's at a more episodic pricing a la most episodic games then I'd say it could be as little as five hours of content per episode depending on the price. Personally I'm really not bothered, because to me this is just a tribute and I'm willing to cough up the cash.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I. Sephiroth let go of JENOVA Birth's body for a final battle of this episode and the characters arrive at the Western Continent. If that is not the end, then the end is after the Nibelheim flashback when they leave Kalm for the Sephiroth chase.
    II. Sephiroth kills Aerith, let go of JENOVA Life's body, Cloud buries Aerith.
    III. Nanaki and his children look at Midgar.

yeah, i'm not expecting "episodic"... iirc the interview said "multi-part, like the FF XIII saga", not "episodic, like LiS or the new Hitman" which leads me to expect 2 maybe 3 discs... not quite sure where they'd split them up, Sephiroth may have it in his post above, but i expect no more than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    yeah, i'm not expecting "episodic"... iirc the interview said "multi-part, like the FF XIII saga", not "episodic, like LiS or the new Hitman" which leads me to expect 2 maybe 3 discs... not quite sure where they'd split them up, Sephiroth may have it in his post above, but i expect no more than that...
    From what I've heard, they've been cycling back the "episodic" plans as much as they can. The reception to the episodic approach has been largely negative. According to the stories I've seen, Square's corporate higher-ups decided that gamers would no longer buy full games due to the failure of AAA games at the tail end of the 360/PS3 console cycle, and that episodic was the only way to go in gaming moving forward. Their own market researchers told them that people were just tired of a very long console cycle, but were ignored.

Then, the start of the new console cycle, and the success of games like The Witcher 3, Square said "oh, people will still buy the big name games, and maybe we should listen to the market research". With the reception to their episodic games (like the new Hitman) being overall not that great, they've tried to backtrack as much as possible from their "episodic is the future" mindset.

So, the fact that they're not calling the remake episodic isn't really surprising to me, as I think they're backing away from that approach to games as much as they can.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For nostalgia's sake, I'm going to say that the episodes will be the same as the sections that the first Final Fantasy VII walkthrough I read was divided into for some reason (even though it was in one book - maybe it was also written in a magazine, per issue or something?).

Episode 1: Midgar (No title given, or I don't remember one)
    Episode 2: "The Search for Sephiroth" - Cloud's story to Gold Saucer.
    Episode 3: "The Gold Saucer, and Beyond" - Gold Saucer to Meteor being summoned.
    Episode 4: "Meteor's Approach" - Execution at Junon to the end of the game.

Yes, these were the titles that the walkthrough gave.