Thread: Retrospective: 2007 in video gaming

Default Retrospective: 2007 in video gaming

Ten years ago was arguably one of the best years in all of gaming history. A number of franchises either started or released highly acclaimed sequels during this year. Here are some of the biggest games released from 2007.

• Assassin's Creed
    • Bioshock
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    • God of War II
    • Halo 3
    • Mass Effect
    • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    • Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl
    • Super Mario Galaxy
    • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

It's crazy to imagine just how huge of a year this was for gaming. Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Uncharted have all become hugely successful series and they all started in 2007.

What was your favorite game from 2007? Do you think 2017 has a chance of matching this level of success?

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I look at the list of games for 2007 and... I can't deny that looks like a very good line-up of games.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Talk of 2007 without mention of the greatest gaming release in history, the Orange Box? For shame sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Talk of 2007 without mention of the greatest gaming release in history, the Orange Box? For shame sir!
    I don't particularly care for Valve games outside of Left 4 Dead, unfortunately. Maybe I'll play Half Life in 10 years when 3 comes out.

Personally...I think Super Mario Galaxy was the best game of 2007. Halo 3 being a close second. Super Mario Galaxy to this date remains one of my absolute favorite games of all time, and Halo 3 is probably the single game I've spent the most time playing in my life. It was practically all I played from 2007-2010 until Reach came out.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Alright, I went to wikipedia and found a list for this and I gotta say that the four best games of 2007 are, in no particular order:

Earth Defense Force 2017
    WoW: The Burning Crusade
    Europa Universalis III
    Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

If I have to choose between the four I'm going for Civ IV BTS but honestly all four of these were good trout

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A decade ago Paradox were a bunch of obscure groggy swedes now they're a big name who publish other games and their games are big deals.

Meanwhile Bioware smurfed up their own ME lore so bad they had to set Andromeda in a whole new galaxy.

Also Pike's list is pro tier

2007 also saw the Western release (on the same day, no less), of Persona 3, and Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon. So, yeah, I'd put those on the list.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I could only care less without Pokémon.

A bunch of bro western games I don't care about and... Nintendo. Yeah, I couldn't care less for 2007. The late 90's was the best time to be a gamer.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-31-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I don't particularly care for Valve games outside of Left 4 Dead, unfortunately. Maybe I'll play Half Life in 10 years when 3 comes out.
    I know very little about gaming, but I know for sure red e that you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't play all of the half life games immediately.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Meanwhile Bioware smurfed up their own ME lore so bad they had to set Andromeda in a whole new galaxy.
    Is this about the ending again?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Is this about the ending again?
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    A bunch of bro western games I don't care about and... Nintendo. Yeah, I could care less for 2007. The late 90's was the best time to be a gamer.
    1998-2002 was The Golden Age but 2007 was a pretty great year. I don't care about most of the games mentioned by OP, doesn't make them bad.

2016 was smurfing incredible for some reason but we've got a wait a bit before we can retrospective it from a decade away

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The ending isn't good on nearly every level, but ME is the worst game in the series in terms of gameplay and has the least interesting story otherwise so I'm a bit forgiving of the ending now. I'd rather have a game that doesn't play like ass and force you to go to boring places to deal with boring people.