Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (aka Episode VIII)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

yeah it was neat

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Spoilering because god forbid if I don't, I'll have to hear one of you children cry about it, even though you're the one reading a goddamn thread for the movie.

-Billie Lourd in twin buns. GG, Star Wars.
    -I really, really loved that they showed minor moments between background Resistance characters, like the dude who nodded to his friend, and she replying by tapping on the window, before they got killed. Just those sweet, small touches show that ALL of the characters in this world have a story, friends, and are fighting for a reason. It made the stakes feel so much bigger, come later on in the plot.
    -I'm glad they're not going for a FinnxRey romance. I really enjoy them as friends, and the clear course that Finn and Rose are growing closer, but then Finn and Rey's hug was so sweet. I dunno, that's something really touching about people who love each other, but who aren't in love with each other, showing affection like that.
    -This movie was funny. Like REALLY funny. I have to say, we were with a tough crowd, though. At times Rob and I were the only ones laughing at clear comedic moments.
    -I LOVE what they did with Yoda. Start out with young, CGI Yoda, switch to old, puppet Yoda. I'm glad they brought back his goofiness too. THAT'S the Yoda we all know and love.
    -I don't like what they did with Hux. They turned him from a vaguely imposing threat to just a sniveling ponce. Kudos to Domhnall Gleeson for giving it his all, but dang, that was not great.
    -I feel like the dropped the ball with Phasma. It's clearly they either never had a plan for her character, or they rewrote the movie so that she no longer fit in. She was completely anticlimactic.
    -Adam Driver is looking bae, and Daisy Ridley has gained weight and no longer looks waifish, but ripped as smurfed. Did you see that girl's guns? Goddamn.
    -I really wanted her to choose to be with Ben and go dark. Man, that would've been something.
    -That said, the look she gave Ben as she got on the Falcon and closed the door, and the look Ben had...dang. He really realized that he's all alone now. His uncle, his mother, his only friend. None of them believe in him any more. But, while Luke said to Ben that he wasn't there to save his soul, he said to Leia that there is always a gleam that someone might change. I really don't think good Ben is gone forever.
    -POE HOLLERIN' AT REY THO...which, by the way, Rob and I noted that calling them Reypo sounds terrible. Nononono.
    -Luke brushing off his shoulders, and that final smurf you "I'll see you around, kid". OOH, you go, brother.
    -I really loved the ending scene--whether now, or in the future, hope lives, and the fight will go on.

I think that's all I have for now. Can't wait to see what everyone else thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WAS IT GOOD?

BETTER OR WORSE THAN THE FORCE AWAKENS?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Very good, much better than The Force Awakens. Easily my favorite Star Wars film.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh i'm going to see it tonight! So hyped!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Just saw it. It's good!

Luke said something in the trailer like "This is not going to go the way you think" and he was pretty spot on. I did not predict a couple of the twists and turns!

Porgs? Porgs. I know they're only there to sell toys but I liked 'em a lot more than the OGs of that realm, Ewoks and Jar Jar.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

nah man crystal critters are where it's at

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    nah man crystal critters are where it's at
    THIS THO

Articles

Both tbqh

Also jinx on your first point wasn't that in TFA too

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Both tbqh

Also jinx on your first point wasn't that in TFA too
    very possibly and I either didn't note it at the time, or forgot about it!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was a fun movie to watch, but I had a lot of issues with it. I feel like I’m one of the only ones who wasn’t a huge fan.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    It was a fun movie to watch, but I had a lot of issues with it. I feel like I’m one of the only ones who wasn’t a huge fan.
    Nah I've seen a lot of people online with some issues. Rotten Tomatoes has 93% critics liking it but 57% of audiences.
    (SPOILER)
    Here's my biggest issues:
    • Flying Space Jesus Leia.
    • The Marvelification of Star Wars in that every scene has to have someone trying to cram a witty one liner into it. Don't get me wrong, I smurfing love a good one liner but it's becoming a bit oversaturated. In particular the opening of the movie with Poe/Hux was pretty meh and "Oh Kylo Ren senpai put on a shirt baka!!!!!!" ugh.
    • The Finn/Rose arc was kinda pointless and not overly engaging.
    • Captain Phasma? Pointless. General Hux? Are you going for bumbling buffoon or sociopath general? Pick one and stick to it.

But like you, I had a good time with it and I think it was fun. I also think the positives outweighted the negatives.

• In particular Adam Driver knocked it out of the park. I was never on the "oh he's just an angsty kid this SUCKS!" train. Yeah, no trout he is, look at the pressure he must've been under with legendary Space Heroes as his parents and mentor. It doesn't make him a bad villain. Indeed, you really felt raw smurfing hate coming from him when he saw Luke. The Snoke kill was smurfing great too, genuinely thought he'd do a Vader U-Turn. Honestly, he is what prequel Anakin should've been.
    • Although as mentioned I am not a fan of the need to make everything a one liner, not all of the humour was forced and some of the more visual gags were enjoyable.
    • Some really iconic and mindblowing moments. The red room fight, hyperspace kamikaze and Luke's last stand (if you can call it that) will all live long in the memory.
    • Although I moaned about Finn's story, I actually like his personal character arc transforming from trying to run away to trying to sacrifice himself. The transition felt natural.
    • Ditto Poe.
    • Old school Yoda. May be a bit member-berry, but I don't care. I dug it.
    • Luke. Crotchety/regretful old man Luke was an interesting new take on him (as opposed to the tranquil Jedi Master role of Yoda/Obi Wan) but the old Luke still spilled out for example when he saw R2. And, you know, Binary Sunset.
    • I like that Rey's parents are actually nobody. I've seen people online trying to claim that's Kylo Ren lying, but the hall of mirrors scene basically slaps you in the smurfing face with it.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The reactions have been pretty divisive but I wouldn't place too much stock in the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes anyway - Justice League has 80% on there!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)The humor really bugged me. There were some genuinely funny moments like when Luke was messing with Rei as she was told to reach out with the force, but I did think they were trying too hard to be funny. I agree it felt like what Marvel does with the witty one liners.

I also kind of hated the build up and outcome of the Finn and Rose plot line. I didn’t see any good reason for the admiral not to say what her plan was. It almost seemed just to try to make another twist that she actually had a plan and to make the point of her wanting to do what’s right more so than to seem a hero. I liked the Finn and Rose interactions, but the reasoning for the adventure fell flat for me.

Why even have Phasma make it into this movie?

Snoke was ultimately disappointing. I wanted something... more? Kylo Ren is the better and more interesting villain, and I kind of like how things turned out. I would have liked to have some more moments spent making Snoke more interesting though.

I would have liked Luke to survive. I’m sure we’ll get some more force ghost fun with him. My feelings about his end ultimately depends on the next movie.

These are the points that bothered me the most. It’s still a ton of fun to watch. I was also annoyed because we ended up with people we knew sitting next to us, and they were being pretty annoying. It just soured the experience a bit. I’m still excited to see how they conclude everything, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    (SPOILER)

I also kind of hated the build up and outcome of the Finn and Rose plot line. I didn’t see any good reason for the admiral not to say what her plan was. It almost seemed just to try to make another twist that she actually had a plan and to make the point of her wanting to do what’s right more so than to seem a hero. I liked the Finn and Rose interactions, but the reasoning for the adventure fell flat for me.
    (SPOILER)
    While I get what you're saying, I feel in this kase (see key is dead) of "Oh if people just told what they're thinking, that would have avoided a lot of issues!" It this kase is served a purpose--it was meant to 1. desimate the Resistanse for the next film and 2. grow Finn (and I guess Rose too) and espesially Poe to show them that doing whatever the fuk you want bekause you feel like you're right has real konsequenses. And part of working together as a group is listening to the people in kharge--in sirkumstanses like this, they got there for a reason. They know what's up. It was really important to show Poe that it's not always about being a "hero", espesially sinse it's klear he is being prepped to bekome the next leader of the Resistanse. From a narrative standpoint, I'm almost sertain they intended to kill Leia off, even before Fisher passed away.

that said, it still did feel a little kontrived