Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (aka Episode VIII)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    (SPOILER)

I also kind of hated the build up and outcome of the Finn and Rose plot line. I didn’t see any good reason for the admiral not to say what her plan was. It almost seemed just to try to make another twist that she actually had a plan and to make the point of her wanting to do what’s right more so than to seem a hero. I liked the Finn and Rose interactions, but the reasoning for the adventure fell flat for me.
    (SPOILER)
    While I get what you're saying, I feel in this kase (see key is dead) of "Oh if people just told what they're thinking, that would have avoided a lot of issues!" It this kase is served a purpose--it was meant to 1. desimate the Resistanse for the next film and 2. grow Finn (and I guess Rose too) and espesially Poe to show them that doing whatever the fuk you want bekause you feel like you're right has real konsequenses. And part of working together as a group is listening to the people in kharge--in sirkumstanses like this, they got there for a reason. They know what's up. It was really important to show Poe that it's not always about being a "hero", espesially sinse it's klear he is being prepped to bekome the next leader of the Resistanse. From a narrative standpoint, I'm almost sertain they intended to kill Leia off, even before Fisher passed away.

that said, it still did feel a little kontrived
    (SPOILER) I understand the purpose it served, and I can agree with what you said. It just felt a bit off to me how they did it. It wasn’t enough to ruin the movie for me or anything, and what it accomplished was important. I’m interested to see how Poe especially continues to grow as a leader in the next movie.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

There was a lot that was good and bad about the movie. Honestly, the more I talk about it with people, the better it seems to get.

(SPOILER) It was incredibly nuanced, and subtle in many places. For instance, I thought that his feet not moving, and him being all matrix-y was just bad cgi, but it turns out that should have been a red flag. The same thing with the books showing up at the end. Everyone seems to have picked up on something different, and that very much makes me want to see it again, to find all the little things. Have to agree with everyone else on some points. The humor was way too forced in some points, and space wizard leia was a little much. My fiancee's headcannon is that Kylo saved her, and I kind of like that idea a little bit better.

It seems like episode IX is going to happen after a time jump, probably of at least a few years. That way the kid with the broom has time to grow up and become a potential jedi. Because seriously, that broom totally jumped into his hand. That would also allow them to write Leia out in the opening crawl, saying she died of complications, or something.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It was "alright" in my opinion.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I can understand why people have issues with this movie, but I liked it a lot. I wasn't blown away by it (aside from some damn top tier cinematography), but I absolutely adore Luke in this movie. Mark Hamill did a fantastic job in this movie. I'm on my phone and don't want to go into spoilers, but I will say that I feel the movie dragged at certain points and the pacing of the film was all over the place at times. I don't see why some people are butt hurt about Porgs. There are so many middle aged try hards that feel so obligated to hate them because they are for kids.

Yeah. Imagine that. Imagine elements in Star Wars movies that are geared for kids. Wow. Never happened before now.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent. The Porgs are nothing more than a mild distraction anyway. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Anyway, yeah, it got a bit goofy and it was a weird Star Wars movie, but man do I love that they went nuts with it and took some actual risks in how they made this film. I actually think this one is going to age better as more time passes. I'm not saying it's like The Empire Strikes Back (besides super superficial things, it certain does not feel like a rehash of that movie), but a lot of reactions to this movie are similar to how audiences percieved ESB when it was brand new. I don't think it will ever be considered that brilliant or revered, but I predict a few years down the line more people will appriciate it more.

Well, that's my thoughts. Have at it I guess because we all must have the same opinion or else the world will end.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I kinda super adore the porgs, myself.

My thoughts are similar to others - it was good, not great, better than Force Awakens, some really surprising things, some really dumb things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post

(SPOILER) It was incredibly nuanced, and subtle in many places. For instance, I thought that his feet not moving, and him being all matrix-y was just bad cgi, but it turns out that should have been a red flag.
    (SPOILER) By far the biggest red flag that I missed at the time (which Kylo Ren in particular should have figured out), was that Luke got out his blue lightsaber. You know, the one that was destroyed by Ren and Rey's force tug of war on Snoke's ship.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked the Porgs. They were amusing without feeling like they were overused. Cinemetography was pretty great too. After thinking about it, I kind of want to see it again already, so that definitely means I feel more positive than negative about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Porgs are A+.

Let's be real--most of us here love Star Wars, but they are not great films. They're actually objectively bad and campy. Judging a film because it caters to kids--when every smurfing Star Wars film has catered to kids--is asinine. THESE. ARE. NOT. GOOD. FILMS. YOU. CAN. STILL. LOVE. THEM. BUT. THEY. ARE. NOT. GOOD.

okay, glad we cleared that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Reason why this is the best Star Wars movie ever made.

(SPOILER)

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    My thoughts are similar to others - it was good, not great, better than Force Awakens, some really surprising things, some really dumb things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post

(SPOILER) It was incredibly nuanced, and subtle in many places. For instance, I thought that his feet not moving, and him being all matrix-y was just bad cgi, but it turns out that should have been a red flag.
    (SPOILER) By far the biggest red flag that I missed at the time (which Kylo Ren in particular should have figured out), was that Luke got out his blue lightsaber. You know, the one that was destroyed by Ren and Rey's force tug of war on Snoke's ship.
    (SPOILER)It took me a bit to realize what was going on with that too. Once I picked up on it, was super confused. Also, the fact that he looks different when talking to Leia and Kylo. He looks a lot younger when talking with kylo. Less gray, less scraggly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

HuxThey kind of ruined Hux with all the comic relief. There was too much of it. Not to say he couldn't have been in a funny scene, but in the first movie he was a very serious character. He was Hitler-Lite. Any chance of him being a good foil for Kylo is done.

In The Force Awakens they both had value to Snoke. Kylo was the stronger individual with the power of the force, but Hux had the power of the army behind him, like this saga's Grand Moff Tarkin.

I don't doubt that the end result would have been Kylo overpowering Hux and taking control of the army anyway, so I guess I just didn't like the goofy execution.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Porgs are A+.

Let's be real--most of us here love Star Wars, but they are not great films. They're actually objectively bad and campy. Judging a film because it caters to kids--when every smurfing Star Wars film has catered to kids--is asinine. THESE. ARE. NOT. GOOD. FILMS. YOU. CAN. STILL. LOVE. THEM. BUT. THEY. ARE. NOT. GOOD.

I'll agree with you on them not being good in terms of overall story telling. The original trilogy should always be recognized as the ground breaking for technical reasons (special effects, editing, music/sound), but yeah, anyone who says the OT had this flawless story or whatever is kidding themselves. If Star Wars didn't exist until a few years ago (and assuming the original debuted as a mega hit in the modern day) both Empire Strikes Back and especially Return of the Jedi would have got crucified by fans.

Darth Vader is this imposing, high ranked hench man with ties to the old ways of The Force.
    No wait, he's the hero's father.
    Oh, Obi-Wan said he told Luke the truth from a certain point of view. ... ... ... okay.
    Oh wait, Leia is also Luke's sister. Don't worry about the sexual tension in the last two films.
    Okay, we blew up the thing we also blew up in the first movie, but this time the Empire is finished because the main bad guy is dead. The rest of the forces just gave up.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Porgs are A+.

I'll agree with you on them not being good in terms of overall story telling. The original trilogy should always be recognized as the ground breaking for technical reasons (special effects, editing, music/sound), but yeah, anyone who says the OT had this flawless story or whatever is kidding themselves. If Star Wars didn't exist until a few years ago (and assuming the original debuted as a mega hit in the modern day) both Empire Strikes Back and especially Return of the Jedi would have got crucified by fans.

Darth Vader is this imposing, high ranked hench man with ties to the old ways of The Force.
    No wait, he's the hero's father.
    Oh, Obi-Wan said he told Luke the truth from a certain point of view. ... ... ... okay.
    Oh wait, Leia is also Luke's sister. Don't worry about the sexual tension in the last two films.
    Okay, we blew up the thing we also blew up in the first movie, but this time the Empire is finished because the main bad guy is dead. The rest of the forces just gave up.
    Oh, definitely. The series has always been amazing with SFX, and the original trilogy paved the way for what we have today. I won't ever argue that, and the original series has mostly held up, despite its age. That's really hard to do (although definitely the benefit of using non-computer special effects).

I mainly meant the story, and definitely the acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Hux

(SPOILER)Didn't really have an issue with Hux in this one, his position has always been set as the Hammy British Guy and I never saw him as menacing or intimidating to start with.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"