Thread: Why is the SNES game "Wild Guns" never accused of "gender stereotypes"?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Why is the SNES game "Wild Guns" never accused of "gender stereotypes"?

Hopefully this game is a bit more well-known now when it has been re-released for the PlayStation 4.

Anyway, the last several years a lot of people have been very sensitive when it comes to so-called "gender stereotypes", like how men and women are assumed to look, act an dress in specific ways - you know what I am talking about.
    Well, in "Wild Guns" the two main characters Clint and Annie have fairly stereotypical character designs;
    Clint is a tough-looking muscular man with a stubble and blue cowboy clothes, and Annie is a slender woman in a pink dress - yes, you can change their colours in the character selection screen, but that's their default colours.
    Here is what they look like in the actual game:

https://r.mprd.se/media/images/36295...1458992871.png

It's exactly these kinds of character designs that are often labelled as "stereotypical", and although I personally don't have any problems with these kinds of things (as long as they don't try to portray any of the genders as "inferior", of course) I still think it's a bit interesting how nobody in today's over-sensitive society seems to be bothered by this.

I would say that it's probably because Annie is actually a strong character with some attitude (instead of an overly helpless damsel-in-distress character).
    Actually I don't mind the "male hero saves the girl" types of plots either, as long as they are done right and treat both characters as equals.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 01-27-2017 at 01:36 PM.