Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 515192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda | Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Amusing that you can call Zelda out for being repetitive and have issue with durability and stamina and doing the same shrine dungeon 12 times and people are like "yeah it may look bring and annoying at times but you have to play it to understand" and then turn around and criticize this game after not touching it and swearing it off

Edit - I am sad about all the things wrong, but my girlfriend is still completely immersed
    I haven't sworn off it, though I have said "eh, not really interested yet". It's on my list, but my budget is only so big, and there are other games ahead of it.
    Totally agree, too many things to spend money on to take a gamble on something you're not sold on. My thing is, Zelda fans are trying to sell Zelda on people who were not sold on the dubious 10/10 best game ever made scores
    At risk of sidetracking, I will say that Breath of the Wild is not really that repetitive. Except for the combat shrines, I don't think it's fair to list ANY of them as "the same dungeon multiple times", as the diversity in the puzzles and mechanics of them is actually quite surprising. Plenty have unique quirks or demand thinking of new and unique uses for your abilities. The fights are usually staged in ways that give you a lot of interesting and unique ways to take them down, and there is a decent selection of enemies as well (though, sadly, some old staples are missing). There are probably a dozen or more different styles of puzzles to find Koroks, and most of them are unique as well (or involve reaching a particular part of unique terrain). The diversity of the content is really quite surprising to me, especially compared to every other open-world game I've played.
    This part is actually what I was really talking about. Zelda may look repetitive and samey to the un-sold people, but it's a totally different story when it's in your hands. And that seems to be the same thing going on with Mass Effect, and it's definitely what went on regarding detractors to Horizon Zero Dawn. They had quirks, but they tended to not matter to the people playing them and enjoying them.
    I just never really got hooked in to Andromeda. I didn't even know about most of the development troubles the game experienced until the past couple of days. The most I'd seen of it was a couple screenshots, which, honestly, didn't make the game look that appealing. I think they might have pushed graphical fidelity too far without balancing out their modeling skills, as a couple of the characters just look a bit "off". None of them particularly appeal to me, and, as I've not seen any trailers or anything but screenshots, there's not a lot else to go on. I wouldn't even say that the characters are "ugly" because, frankly, they always have been. I mean, name me one character in Mass Effect that's visually appealing. The closest is probably Garrus, but even he's ruined by the texture issue that plagued the PC port (which is the only version I played) and made the close ups of him all use the lowest-rez textures (there's a mod to fix this, but I'm lazy). They got better as the series went on, but this does strike me as a typical "we've pushed too far towards photo-realism without having the design chops to pull it off".
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to force a game down anyone's throat who's not interested. I was merely asking that people give it the same reasonable doubt Zelda fans are asking for. Breath of the Wild has far from sold me. And the legions of 10/10 scores actually make me a lot more skeptical. No matter how much you enjoy a game, to call it the best game ever made, or try to explain how perfect it is when there are noticeable flaws that could be addressed, which don't even detract from the enjoyment of the game; they just exist. It just seems like Zelda was reviewed by Zelda fans, and not even objective Zelda fans. Meanwhile Mass Effect was reviewed by not-fans. IGN, GameSpot, and Game Informer are all notorious for having their reviews bought, and having Nintendo fans inbiasly review Nintendo products, and then having Call of Duty dude-bros review other product, and not even be fans. Reviewed by people who don't get certain games.

One recent example I can think of would be IGN's video review of Resident Evil 7, was obviously not done by someone who's played most of the series. They complain about repetitive bad-guys as if the previous games didn't have that. Or the obtuse puzzles, as if the previous games did not have that. Imagine the backlash if someone reviewed a Zelda game as if it were the first Zelda game they ever played and pointed out all the ways it could have been like other games

I can think of two actual journalists who actually critiqued Zelda without just blindly praising it. And their gaming tastes are more in line with mine than most of the fake reviewers out there working at Polygon, IGN, and the rest. And they didn't hate the game. They enjoyed it. But it wasn't perfect. No game should ever be considered perfect. And even when reviewed by fans, they should at least try to be objective. It seemed like there was way too little objectivity regarding Zelda, and way too much critical objectivity regarding Mass Effect

And back on topic, the more I watch my girlfriend play Mass Effect, the more I know I'll enjoy it. Which is reassuring. Also it has Sudoku puzzles. Which is awesome. I just got done helping her solve one

But thank you Skyblade. I know you're a super-fan, but I also know you're reasonable and objective and can understand people's skepticism even though you know there's no reason to be skeptical. We're just human

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

Also it has Sudoku puzzles.
    2.5 million light years and there's ​STILL NO ESCAPE

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Who knew that my obsession with late night sudoku puzzles would save a galaxy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh God I hate Sudoku.

NOOOOOOOO.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

ahahaha Renly and Margaery are on the crew, I like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

She rejected me ughhh..

I'm taking the Captain Kirk approach, hit on everything. Several rejections later, a few have shown interest.

Why can't I flirt with the salarians or krogan though? Lame

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Oh God I hate Sudoku.

NOOOOOOOO.
    It's barely Sudoku it's only 1-5. Or at least the one I did was. But then again it only gave like four symbols so it was still pleasantly challenging

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sunk a lot more time into this tonight.

Last night I was feeling it was a 6/10... I've moved more towards 8/10 as the story has progressed. This game is great, a few minor glitches here and there but seeing familiar species etc brings so much joy to me.

Articles

Gave multiplayer a whirl. Everyone died. Ah, memories. I got a Krogan in my first pack though! I also love that everyone is there in like really boring grey armour and my dude is just standing on the end in bright neon purple looking very pleased with himself.

Also got some lovely animation and general world interaction glitches too. Particularly loved a Turian NPC teleporting in and out of a wall on the Nexus.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've had a few conversation glitches. Where you start talking to them but it focuses on a place they aren't in? So then you're talking to a wall or something. Did it to me with Peebee but then it had a close up of her face and her fiddling with something in her place and then suddenly when it went back to the wall, she was in frame. Things like that.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My biggest what an idiot moment so far was forgetting how easily some things are solved by jumping. It happened on Eos, at the building where you have to turn off the generator to take the shields down. I tried shutting down all three shield generators around the place but that didn't work. I tried coming to the building from the other side, using muh truck to drive up the cliff, and actually found a place that would have worked if the game didn't automatically black out and set you back. Then I even ran, jumped over the gap into the tiny window you see, and went inside. You couldn't make it far in there because of the shield dome in the center. It took a while before I figured out I could just jump on the roof of the building and cross to the other side.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My Ryder
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles
    Blog Entries

To be fair, that's something I would totally do. New game mechanics are ripe for moments of flailing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Or ryders have the same scar, tuh!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    My Ryder
    Looking good, I like the eyes.

I think I must be the only EoFFer playing as male Ryder. I didn't even make a custom one, I'm just using the default one as he looked a lot better than any of the freakshows I could make.