Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 31317181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda | Official Thread

Don't forget the character models for Baldur's Gate were ugly little mutants that vaguely looked humanoid. Glad we didn't worry about it back then

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Yeah, that's why I just raise an eyebrow at all the bitching I see about ugly character models and wonky animation followed by "It's over Mass Effect is RUINED!" I'm like "Uh...so you never played the original trilogy then?"

Bioware has made great games, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but the character models and animations certainly aren't what made those games great. They've almost always been the weakest point honestly.
    Right, but the character models and animations also aren't what made the game bad either. Which is the case for Andromeda.

The animations made the characters, and ultimately the story, much more believable in the original Mass Effect trilogy. In the case of Andromeda it appears that the bad animations, bad writing and bad voice acting are all flaws.

All of those issues hurt a game's ability to tell a convincing story. And dialogue/story is the main reason people loved the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Don't forget the character models for Baldur's Gate were ugly little mutants that vaguely looked humanoid. Glad we didn't worry about it back then
    talk trout about my sister-wife imoen again, and you'll reap the goddamn whirlwind

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    For some reason my Screenshot wasn't working but I did snap a picture with my phone to send to my sister lol

My Fem Ryder is a babe too

Attachment 71861
    URRGHH FREYA WTF dude she looks like someone poured Gatorade over a bowl of lumpy porridge

You made her this rancid on purpose didn't you?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It isn't as if BioWare hasn't always been on point with their characters. Kaiden in ME: 1 was nice but admittedly plain and unassuming throughout the entire story. He only really became good in ME: 3. Ashley had that whole 'space racism' thing going on, though they did a better job with character development.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

She's beautiful Paul! I love her blue hair. Step off!

Also.scruff, I'm 5 hrs in now and absolutely enthralled with the story so far.

You can say the writing and story is subpar but one, you haven't played it at all yet, two, others are actually enjoying the story, three, you haven't played it!

Like I'm for complaining about the actual faults, the animations are not so great.

To be fair, nearly every game characters are stiff moving in. Bioware did it, XV did it. Why can't anyone make them look not stiff? It bothers me in every game now.

But you haven't played it yet scruff, you haven't formed any opinionew on it outside of what others say. I promise it isn't as bad as those others are saying.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, nearly every game characters are stiff moving in. Bioware did it, XV did it. Why can't anyone make them look not stiff? It bothers me in every game now.
    I'm convinced that the only triple A companies who can competently animate are Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Blizzard, and Valve. Everyone else is pretty trout at it.

Also, get bent Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I'm convinced that the only triple A companies who can competently animate are Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Blizzard, and Valve. Everyone else is pretty trout at it.

Also, get bent Paul.
    You seem to be under the weird misconception that Valve make video games

Amusing that you can call Zelda out for being repetitive and have issue with durability and stamina and doing the same shrine dungeon 12 times and people are like "yeah it may look bring and annoying at times but you have to play it to understand" and then turn around and criticize this game after not touching it and swearing it off

Edit - I am sad about all the things wrong, but my girlfriend is still completely immersed
    Last edited by Vyk; 03-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post

Also, get bent Paul.
    You seem to be under the weird misconception that Valve make video games
    They used to. And when they did they made about one a year and they were awesome.

Articles

Then they developed a baffling fear of the number three. That or a money printing factory, one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Amusing that you can call Zelda out for being repetitive and have issue with durability and stamina and doing the same shrine dungeon 12 times and people are like "yeah it may look bring and annoying at times but you have to play it to understand" and then turn around and criticize this game after not touching it and swearing it off

Edit - I am sad about all the things wrong, but my girlfriend is still completely immersed
    I haven't sworn off it, though I have said "eh, not really interested yet". It's on my list, but my budget is only so big, and there are other games ahead of it.

At risk of sidetracking, I will say that Breath of the Wild is not really that repetitive. Except for the combat shrines, I don't think it's fair to list ANY of them as "the same dungeon multiple times", as the diversity in the puzzles and mechanics of them is actually quite surprising. Plenty have unique quirks or demand thinking of new and unique uses for your abilities. The fights are usually staged in ways that give you a lot of interesting and unique ways to take them down, and there is a decent selection of enemies as well (though, sadly, some old staples are missing). There are probably a dozen or more different styles of puzzles to find Koroks, and most of them are unique as well (or involve reaching a particular part of unique terrain). The diversity of the content is really quite surprising to me, especially compared to every other open-world game I've played.

I just never really got hooked in to Andromeda. I didn't even know about most of the development troubles the game experienced until the past couple of days. The most I'd seen of it was a couple screenshots, which, honestly, didn't make the game look that appealing. I think they might have pushed graphical fidelity too far without balancing out their modeling skills, as a couple of the characters just look a bit "off". None of them particularly appeal to me, and, as I've not seen any trailers or anything but screenshots, there's not a lot else to go on. I wouldn't even say that the characters are "ugly" because, frankly, they always have been. I mean, name me one character in Mass Effect that's visually appealing. The closest is probably Garrus, but even he's ruined by the texture issue that plagued the PC port (which is the only version I played) and made the close ups of him all use the lowest-rez textures (there's a mod to fix this, but I'm lazy). They got better as the series went on, but this does strike me as a typical "we've pushed too far towards photo-realism without having the design chops to pull it off".

There's not been anything big about the story that's hooked me either. From what I can tell, we take a trip to the Andromeda galaxy. And...explore? Anything else? I don't know. I haven't seen anything else mentioned. But, abandoning the characters and worlds and history of the series for something completely new and unrelated didn't particularly interest me. I wanted more Mass Effect because I wanted more of the series, not something else that just shares the name. Though, admittedly, they so thoroughly destroyed the series at the end of ME3 that I'm not sure they could anything else with it.

I don't know. I'm interested. I want to play it. In a casual, thrown off "yeah, it'd be fun" kind of way. But I'm not interested enough to want to buy it. Maybe if it goes on sale sometime when I don't have other games I'm playing. It's weird to think about, because I got kind of freakishly obsessed with the original trilogy.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I mean, name me one character in Mass Effect that's visually appealing.
    Blasto.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Now that I'm at a computer again.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BLUE HAIR. I think it's amazing. I want to now dye my hair blue.

Honestly the crazy colors look okay and the browns/blacks look okay but the red and blondes do not look good.