Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda | Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    If I'm being perfectly honest I don't actually buy into the notion that games this generation are that much different than games from last generation. Same stuff with better graphics for the most part. I just can't take a criticism like that one very seriously.
    That's not the argument being made here.

The argument the author is suggesting is that Andromeda doesn't stand out in 2017. There are 2 fantastic open world games that just came out in the last month alone. Why should anyone waste their time playing Andromeda when there are much better open world RPGs out there right now?

Also, open worlds in games have only become a huge trend in this generation. Last gen we only really saw Skyrim and the GTA series.

This year has had a crazy number of good titles. Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Tales of Berseria, Nioh, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata have all come out in 2017 alone. I personally don't see any reason to choose this game when there are much better alternatives out there. Hell, Andromeda isn't even being made by Bioware's B team. It's supposedly made by their C team. So it isn't even the same development team that made the past titles.

I feel for the Mass Effect fans though. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they're getting the game they deserve.

EDIT: I should have corrected myself to say "I think the argument the author is suggesting" instead of "that isn't what the author is arguing." My bad. Also, I agree with Fox's post.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 03-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

If I'm being perfectly honest I don't actually buy into the notion that games this generation are that much different than games from last generation. Same stuff with better graphics for the most part. I just can't take a criticism like that one very seriously.
    Perhaps not so different now, but certainly there has been a lot of change since the start of last generation. The jump in production quality and shift in mechanics from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 is very significant. And the review says "Andromeda may have worked a decade ago on the PS3 and Xbox 360" - a decade ago was 2007. Pre-Mass Effect 2*
    *Pre-Mass Effect 1 technically, which was a November '07 release

Just like I would have had a much higher opinion of FFXV if I had never played any other Final Fantasy game, or The Witcher, or Zelda, or Dark Souls etc. To say Andromeda would have felt like a better game if it existed in a world where Mass Effect 2 and 3 hadn't been made is a reasonable point.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What are Bioware's A and B teams working on?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    What are Bioware's A and B teams working on?
    Bioware's A team is the Edmonton team, who made the original Mass Effect trilogy as well as the Dragon Age series.

Bioware's B team is the Austin team, who is responsible for SWTOR. They also helped with the production of Inquisition and worked on the new IP Shadow Realms before it got cancelled.

This is developed by Bioware's C team, the Montreal team. It was originally established back in 2009 to help the main Bioware team as necessary. They haven't made anything before Andromeda.

Apparently Bioware's A team is working on a new IP, but I'm not sure.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't give such an important entry in the series, tasked with leading Mass Effect into a new direction and a new galaxy, to a relatively untested team, in my opinion.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Also, open worlds in games have only become a huge trend in this generation. Last gen we only really saw Skyrim and the GTA series.
    This is not even remotely true.

This is not even remotely true.
    This is 100% true.

This gen alone we've had Xenoblade Chronicles X, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V, Watch Dogs 2, Witcher 3, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon, and Fallout 4. Every single one of those games is pretty much critically acclaimed, and they are all open world games.

Final Fantasy XIII was not open world. Metal Gear Solid 4 was not open world. Skyward Sword was not open world.

These are three massive series that were not open world last gen, and have become open world in the current gen with their latest installments. It is a fact that open world games have become more prevalent this generation compared to last generation.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark

If you ignore the plethora of open world series that have been around for years then sure. A handful of major series going in a more open direction does not make the statement that open world games only became a trend this generation of that it was really only GTA and skyrim before true. Nothing about your statement as you worded it is true.

If you don't believe me then feel free to see the following series that aren't GTA or skyrim:
    -Assassins creed
    -just cause
    -batman Arkham city
    -saints row
    -yakuza
    -fallout
    -oblivion
    -infamous
    -prototype
    -mercenaries
    -Minecraft
    -every Spiderman game since Spiderman 2
    -every mmo ever
    -red dead redemption
    -red faction
    -watch dogs

Im not even close to through all of the open world games and series from last generation but I'm getting tired of listing them and I've clearly made my point. Open world games aren't just becoming a big trend now. They've been a big trend for more than a decade now.

And if we're being honest, Zelda has always been open world. Not at the scale that breath of the wild was perhaps, but it's always had a big, open, non linear world to explore in all of those games.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, open world is definitely not a new trend for this gen and definitely came up big time in the last gen. What may have changed in this gen are the expectations for open world games to provide multiple gigantic areas to explore that are loaded with content, which become more plausible with advanced hardware. And also that every non-handheld RPG now needs to be an open world game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is what all Bioware teams are currently doing:

eakillsstudios.jpg

Im not even close to through all of the open world games and series from last generation but I'm getting tired of listing them and I've clearly made my point. Open world games aren't just becoming a big trend now. They've been a big trend for more than a decade now.

And if we're being honest, Zelda has always been open world. Not at the scale that breath of the wild was perhaps, but it's always had a big, open, non linear world to explore in all of those games.
    I didn't say "open worlds have only become a trend in this generation." I said "open worlds have only become a huge trend in this generation."

I stand by this statement. A lot of games you mentioned either weren't hugely successful or started out on earlier generations (or are current gen). Just Cause, Red Faction, Prototype, Spiderman, Mercenaries...none of these series have even come close to the success that Skyrim or GTA had. Of course, series like Assassin's Creed and Minecraft were both hugely successful. So was Arkham City.

Last generation had Bethesda and Rockstar at the forefront of open world game development. Rockstar is pretty much one of the main pioneers in this area with their GTA formula.

My main argument is that two of the biggest games last generation, Skyrim and GTA V, were open world. Their success has inspired many developers to take their games open world in this generation, with the primary successful examples being Horizon and Breath of the Wild.

And no, Zelda has not been open world in the sense that you're referring to. The original Zelda was open world, but the 3D Zeldas have generally guided you through dungeons in a set path.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yeah, open world is definitely not a new trend for this gen and definitely came up big time in the last gen. What may have changed in this gen are the expectations for open world games to provide multiple gigantic areas to explore that are loaded with content, which become more plausible with advanced hardware. And also that every non-handheld RPG now needs to be an open world game.
    The number of open world titles has increased this gen. Same as the number of successful open world games.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quite a shame that after five years they couldn't really manage greatness. Annoying thing is many of these flaws seem like they could be easily corrected with more time to iron out the kinks.
    To be fair it was already delayed from mid-2016, to late-2016 until Q1 2017 and it's basically come out at the end of Q1 2017. It's not excusable by any means and I daresay EA pushed it out the door.

But likewise, FFXV, which most people feel could've done with a couple more months in the oven, was also pushed out after being delayed.

It's sadly becoming a bit of a trend with AAA games in recent years.

This current console generation (PS4/XB1 - and loosely, the Switch) has had a serial lack of solid-AAA games that haven't missed the mark or required substantial post-launch support to bring them up to par.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

VPN time!

Put spoiler tags in this one, although it isn't too spoiler-y to me. Just a flirting scene with Ryder and another character. Highlights some of the complaints others have had about bad writing and voice acting.

(SPOILER)

My god...this is just awful.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 03-21-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Driving around in the Nomad looks fun. Like all the good parts of the Mako!

I did however see weapons labelled like: "Common weapon" "Rare weapon" "Super rare weapon" and I died inside a little bit. This system sucks in MMOs, why would you bring it into single player games? Hopefully there's not too much managing of trash weapons.