Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda | Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Bahahahahahaha BIOwARE BUNGLES AGAIN

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...opening-hours/
    Or alternatively (from Eurogamer):

Even after a few hours, the game shows heaps of promise - strong foundations and characters you'll want to spend time with. Here's hoping the rest of the game builds upon that.
    I'm staying fairly neutral in my expectations. I used to read RPS all the time but I've found myself at odds with John Walker more and more as time goes on, which is weird given his articles very much helped get me into PC gaming and start paying more attention to the social issues in games. But over time it seemed that he just started to dislike more and more stuff for stranger and stranger reasons and now I don't hold his opinion in all that high an esteem.

I hope they get Alice to review the full game.

That author seemed overly nitpicky and far too negative. Going to wait for a lot more reviews and opinions first.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Yeah, I watched the first 45 minutes and have no clue what the reviewer is on.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah. Agreed. Most reviews and coverage I have seen regarding the first several hours even have been pretty positive. Not sure what's with that guy but the world isn't ending for this game because of one bad review, hux.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't put much stock in any reviewer aside from Jim Sterling anymore so I'll wait and see what he has to say.

Here's another "first impressions" article from Kotaku.

Five Hours In, Mass Effect: Andromeda is Overwhelming

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I looked into RPS a little. Turns out the dude is just a contrarian. He supported the ME3 ending when everyone was upset. He also said Witcher 3 was a bad game.

Seems like you should take that reviewer with aa grain of salt. He's just putting out controversial things for clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I looked into RPS a little. Turns out the dude is just a contrarian. He supported the ME3 ending when everyone was upset. He also said Witcher 3 was a bad game.

Seems like you should take that reviewer with aa grain of salt. He's just putting out controversial things for clicks.
    Tbh I actually didn't mind the ME3 ending as much as everyone else did, but I definitely agree with the complaints.

You're 100% right from what I've read. He does seem to be negative for the sake of clicks. I guess it worked for him this time :P

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm a big Mass Effect fan but I don't know if I can get on board with this "This reviewer is just being controversial for clicks!" train of thought you're all on. There is no such thing as a game that is universally loved, and there is no such thing as a game that isn't lacking in flaws. It's not the end of the world if some guy didn't enjoy it, we don't need to go all defence force and start investigating every work he's ever put out.

Personally I'm staying away from reviews as I want to be completely surprised. I've put down a pre-order which is something I rarely if ever do and I'm not going to cancel it. It's a gamble on my part and I acknowledge that, because it genuinely might suck, you guys. But they built up enough credit with me with the past three titles and got me sufficiently invested in the universe so that it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'm a big Mass Effect fan but I don't know if I can get on board with this "This reviewer is just being controversial for clicks!" train of thought you're all on. There is no such thing as a game that is universally loved, and there is no such thing as a game that isn't lacking in flaws. It's not the end of the world if some guy didn't enjoy it, we don't need to go all defence force and start investigating every work he's ever put out.

Personally I'm staying away from reviews as I want to be completely surprised. I've put down a pre-order which is something I rarely if ever do and I'm not going to cancel it. It's a gamble on my part and I acknowledge that, because it genuinely might suck, you guys. But they built up enough credit with me with the past three titles and got me sufficiently invested in the universe so that it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    I haven't personally done my research on his reviews/articles (I had never even heard of them before this), but a lot of people are suggesting that his articles are highly negative in tone. There's a fine line between being critical and being nitpicky, and many seem to think he's guilty of the latter.

I actually think I'm going to hold off on purchasing the game until the reviews come in. Although I have complete confidence in Bioware's ability to make good games, I'm admittedly skeptical of this one.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I try to avoid the whole they're just being controversial to be controversial argument as well. Just find a reviewer(s) you like whose opinions and critique you trust and see what they say.

Interestingly, even though Jim Sterling is the only reviewer I pay any attention to really, I don't always agree with him on a lot of games. Hell, he gave Vanquish, one of my favourite games of the last console generation by far, a 5/10. But I know where our tastes tend to diverge, and can also trust him to be upfront and honest in his critique about a games flaws and strong points. I mean the guy did give the new Zelda a 7/10 because of some things he felt were flaws and explained why very well in his review. Naturally people on the internet reacted by DDoSing his site and trying to hack his trout for not liking a game as much as they thought he should. But part of the reason he gets idiots so riled up is because he will speak his mind and not hold back so no matter how the final score goes, I can trust his write up to give valuable insight.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm glad you mentioned the Zelda thing as this thread did make me think of it a little bit as I read some of the views about him on the Nintendo Switch reddit. People were incensed by his review, claiming he was doing it as clickbait. This, despite the fact that his site has no ads whatsoever. Jim is an excellent reviewer, and as he repeatedly said, 7/10 is not a bad score and he liked Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned the Zelda thing as this thread did make me think of it a little bit as I read some of the views about him on the Nintendo Switch reddit. People were incensed by his review, claiming he was doing it as clickbait. This, despite the fact that his site has no ads whatsoever. Jim is an excellent reviewer, and as he repeatedly said, 7/10 is not a bad score and he liked Zelda.
    I actually like Jim as a reviewer but in regards to Zelda...I definitely feel that his review may have been influenced by his bad relationship with Nintendo. It's no secret that he really dislikes them.

That said, I haven't read the review or even played the game. But I do know about his disdain for them.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I don't know. I only like OoT, LttP, and Windwaker. Zelda never stuck out to me as a franchise. I feel like the high ratings are just due to it being a Nintendo game and Zelda. Many reviewers give Nintendo a pass.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only thing I'm concerned about is the even faster combat. I already found ME: 2 and especially ME: 3 to be fast enough for my tastes (which aren't usually aimed towards shooters). Now they've gotten rid of the power wheel, and the combat is said to be faster paced than before. Tactical pausing is essential for me!

I just hope I can keep up. I am glad though because I hear reports that the weapons wheel is still in place for pausers like me. So that's something!