Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda | Official Thread

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    It kind of blows my mind how many people are saying "It's like Dragon Age Inquisition!" as a negative. I freaking loved that game. But it does sound like the game isn't going to come anywhere near living up to the hype surrounding it, and that is a shame. I had planned on pre-ordering it but now...I don't know. What concerns me most is people talking about how unlikable your companions are. The cast of companions in the other ME games were great and I had a blast talking to them and I found myself genuinely interested in learning as much about them as possible.

Monday is when the reviews come out. Should be interesting.
    I don't get why people are complaint about companions since in the trial you only get 3 and have minimal interaction (typical basic background info and some banter) with and are introduced to two others who don't join you yet. It leaves one not even introduced and basically the SP block prevents fro the relationship you do have from evolving.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They could have done the embargo thing better. Because before the embargo is lifted all we have are vague first impressions and rumors that can spin and spin. It's a rather odd thing they've done.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Review embargos are stupid in general. Either the game is good or it isn't and all embargos do is hurt the people who pre-ordered when it turns out the latter is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Review embargos are stupid in general. Either the game is good or it isn't and all embargos do is hurt the people who pre-ordered when it turns out the latter is the case.
    Review embargoes that go up to the release date are stupid. The ones that open up a few days in advance are fine in my view, as it gives all reviewers the same period of time to play the game and write the review without having to worry about rushing out something half-baked in order to get the clicks for being 'first'.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I actually really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition, for all it's flaws.

My 10 hour trial has finished now and I'll pick up the full game. The story is enough to make me want to continue and combat gets a little better once you have some more abilities unlocked. It still irks me that where you shoot something doesn't really cause much reaction, there's no staggering or anything. Yet if you zap something in the face with overload it'll cause it to stagger. I guess it's this way to make biotic powers feel worthwhile, but sometimes you really do just feel like you're sinking bullets into a sponge that waltzes relentlessly toward you until it hits a fixed health percentage and then hides in cover.

One thing I do really like is that you can interact and have meaningful conversations with all of the Tempest crew, there's no generic engineers walking around or anything of the sort. Tying into this, the removal of Paragon/Renegade makes dialogue feel a bit more natural rather than just defaulting to one of 2 options because that's what you're doing that playthrough.

How would you say the quality of the writing/acting is overall? I've only seen about 20 minutes of gameplay, and that's probably the area I'm most concerned about.

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

It's variable. Some of the writing and voice acting is atrocious, then there are moments of brilliance, but for the most part it walks the line of "acceptable." On average I wouldn't really say it's any better or worse than previous ME games from an acting point of view.

The writing is up for debate, I do feel that the writing itself isn't of the quality of the previous games. A fair few times I have questioned the way some characters react to things and right now it feels a lot more "popcorn flick" than space opera. I'd honestly wait for reviews of the full game if it's a concern, the content of the trial isn't really enough to get a firm picture of any nuances etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

ME: 3 was probably the worst game for restricted 'obvious' conversations. I'm playing it now as a matter of fact and I frequently only have two choices - the clearly paragon and the clearly renegade choice.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I hated those moments during cutscenes when you were supposed to hit a paragon or renegade option but I didn't notice it until it was too late because I was way too engrossed in what was going on. Yet at the same time, that's a testament to how interesting and well written everything was in the first three games. I genuinely cared about conversations and how my characters were treated, so much that I completely lost sight of the more nuanced gameplay instances when conversation and story progression was taking place.

I really hope that's the case with Andromeda.
    I like Kung-Fu.

What's going on the behind the scenes with this game? Some more SJW nonsense?
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    You, as a Vorcha, should check your privilege before saying things like this.

Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I forgot to add, if you liked ME3s Multiplayer (which I loved), then you're in luck as Andromeda is pretty much more of the same.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I forgot to add, if you liked ME3s Multiplayer (which I loved), then you're in luck as Andromeda is pretty much more of the same.
    Is playing as a bright pink Geth called Julie possible? I need to know.

I think I'm honestly going to pass on this game.

No real reason or motivation to play it right away, especially when initial feedback seems to be mixed. Maybe if it ends up getting decent reviews I'll pick it up down the line, but right now I'm pretty disinterested.

I also don't have any interest in the Dragon Age series, so the comparisons to Inquisition are kind of irrelevant to me.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Yeah a bunch of scumbags have organised a hate campaign against a woman who was apparently one of the lead animators of Andromeda.
    Last edited by Fox; 03-18-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Getting rid of an image with profanity that I didn't realise was still attached