Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Berseria | Official Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

So this thread has kinda inspired me to finish Tales of Xillia. I may get Berseria eventually, but I do want to finish my first Tales game before even considering the new Tales game.

I'm not even sure why I stopped playing; maybe I got a new game that I was looking forward to? Well either way, I'm back and my God am I rusty. There's so many different Artes that Jude can use, all mapped to different button combinations, it's kinda intimidating. I'm finding myself having to bring up the Artes menu during combat just to remember what Arte is mappe to what. And that's just Jude - I'd think I'd collapsed if I started controlling different characters during battle.

NO-one ever controls different characters during battle in a Tales game, don't worry about it . I always preferred Milla to Jude both in terms of play style and character.

Stayed up too late on Berseria last night. Maaay be late for the dentist now. It's touch and go. Posting here while mt coffee cools down.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I main Leia in Xillia and Jude when she's not around.

I GET BERSERIA TONIGHT

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well I played a bunch of Xillia yesterday and I've gotten better once again. I even defeated a Devil's Beast! I mean, sure, it was on the easy difficulty, but that thing had like, one move where it would one-hit K.O my party that are right next to it. Easy difficulty or not, that was scary. Thankfully Elize does a (mostly) good job of playing a keep-away game, and she was right on point with the healing. I was actually tempted to switch to her so I manually control heals, but I know that would not end well. Elize did a fine job as it was. Used like half my life bottles and a couple gels, though. Good thing I already obtained the gel abstainers skit.

I've started controlling Leia as well now, since her combat style is similar-ish to Jude, plus she has some buffs. She's very aerial focused though, like most of her martial artes send her into the air with the enemy. Are there any tips on aerial combat? I find myself just spamming the same arte over and over and sending her higher and higher into the air, which doesn't seem very finessed.

I never ever ever control anyone but the protagonist in these games. I get so used to how the main character handles that I don't even want to attempt trying to memorise anyone else's artes. I definitely preferred Milla over Jude in Xillia.

Been listening to BURN all day at work, so I'm pumped up to get back home and play again. Sorry, Gravity Rush, you're gonna have to wait a little longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin
    I GET BERSERIA TONIGHT

Let us know what you think!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kind of knock them in to the air with Leia and then wail on them with normals. Or just, whatever works at the time. She has some good non-arial arts and things as well. She's great for me because she's pretty quick and can be a back-up healer. I hate being the main healer (too much pressure) but I like doing back-up in case Jude or Elize are out of MP or whatever.

Other mains:
    Graces: Sophie, Cheria
    Abyss: Natalia, Guy
    Vesperia: Judith, Rita
    Symphonia: Sheena, Colette
    Hearts: Kohaku, Kor
    Zestiria: Rose, Lailah

I wonder who my mains will be in Berseria

Seriously, I am mega-pumped. I am doing a TON of school work today so I can have more Berseria time

Can't say enough good things about this game so far. The cast and JP voice acting in particular are seriously incredible.

Also, Magilou is hilarious. Easily one of my favorite characters. (SPOILER) ACT. LIKE. A. DOVE.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

After a terrible prank by sharky, I got the game I just finished the cave in the snowy area, only two characters so far. I did actually have the betrayal character spoiled for me, but oh well

Thoughts so far:
    -The story is very engaging, I want to see where it goes
    -Not a character I've met yet that I don't like, we'll see if it continues. Tales usually does awesome characters
    -Can definitely see some links to Zestiria. It seems almost like the Malak are similar to the Seraphs?
    -I wish Seres was a perma-member. Her outfit is AMAZE
    -Speaking of outfits, I got this mega-pack for like $10 and they are awesome! Now I have outfits to rotate out
    -Unfortunately the game doesn't let me screenshot
    -Feels very Tales. Velvet reminds me so much of Milla. The voice, the look, the expressions
    -I like that we get touches here and there of the "old" Velvet. Makes her feel more real
    -I like the new system. It's similar enough to the other Tales systems that it doesn't feel alien or out of place, but new enough to be exciting
    -The new specials system is awesome

Can't wait to play more

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Can't say enough good things about this game so far. The cast and JP voice acting in particular are seriously incredible.

Also, Magilou is hilarious. Easily one of my favorite characters. (SPOILER) ACT. LIKE. A. DOVE.
    I'm getting better at recognising my Japanese voice actors. Magilou shows up and I'm like That's Ritsu from K-On I'm so happy!!

Played about 7 hours so far, it's been tough to find time due to work but it's the weekend now! I have racked up a few more criticisms but I'm still loving it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also glad to see the return of Katz!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Also glad to see the return of Katz!
    That was such an anti-climax! "Oh, what are these mysterious, dark, ominous-looking orbs floating around everywhere? Are they perhaps some form of currency to trade with mysterious demons, or can they be used for expanding my cursed powers?"

"NYAA! Unlock our chests and we'll give you funny hats! "

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was pretty awesome, you mean?

WHEN DO MAGILOU AND ELEANOR JOIN ME I HAVE CUTE OUTFITS FOR THEEEEEEMMMMMMM

I'm about ten hours in and I still don't think I'm that far along in terms of the main story. There are few games where I can actually enjoy fighting every single enemy and going to every single part of each area to collect everything I can.

This game really just gets so much right.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I'm about ten hours in and I still don't think I'm that far along in terms of the main story. There are few games where I can actually enjoy fighting every single enemy and going to every single part of each area to collect everything I can.

This game really just gets so much right.
    Exactly the same here. I KNOW there are important characters that need to join me that haven't joined me/aren't fighting yet. I don't enjoy the combat as much as Xillia atm because it's harder to know exactly which artes I'm using. It's still fun though, it's like half Tales Of half DmC. I'm digging it. The exploration stuff is pretty good; this is three games worth of iteration from the bland fields of Xillia. It's amazing how they're almost functionally identical in Berseria but feel so much more alive and interesting.

Also I kinda like the equipment system where you melt down all your dupes to enhance your gear, but it is a bit messy and sometimes can be time consuming for little reward. It's a cool concept but I don't think it's as well thought through as Xillia's shop investment system. Also I could do with a lilium orb / sphere grid kinda thing.

That is a kick ass avatar/sig combo you are rolling there Scruff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Exactly the same here. I KNOW there are important characters that need to join me that haven't joined me/aren't fighting yet. I don't enjoy the combat as much as Xillia atm because it's harder to know exactly which artes I'm using. It's still fun though, it's like half Tales Of half DmC. I'm digging it. The exploration stuff is pretty good; this is three games worth of iteration from the bland fields of Xillia. It's amazing how they're almost functionally identical in Berseria but feel so much more alive and interesting.

Also I kinda like the equipment system where you melt down all your dupes to enhance your gear, but it is a bit messy and sometimes can be time consuming for little reward. It's a cool concept but I don't think it's as well thought through as Xillia's shop investment system. Also I could do with a lilium orb / sphere grid kinda thing.

That is a kick ass avatar/sig combo you are rolling there Scruff.
    I do agree that the combat is really good in Xillia, but I still think that the Therion mode in this game helps make the combat really good. And I think what makes the areas so interesting in this game are how they look visually better, there's great music playing and there's lots to see and do. There are almost always items to collect because they constantly reset (aside from chests).

The equipment system is pretty similar to Zestiria's, but so far it seems more simplified and easy to use. About the Lilium Orb system...I actually totally just realized that this game doesn't have one like that. Although I definitely do miss that system, I think the game is fine without it.

Thanks.

Pull my Devil Trigger!