Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nintendo Switch | OT | March 3, 2017

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Raebus are you referring to the dead pixel thing?

Partly referring to that It's also stories relating to problems with the switch controllers, losing connectivity etc. People know the risk of buying a console at launch with possible hardware related problems but i've learnt from past experiences to wait. :3

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My experience with the Switch has been positive. The joy cons feels great (and allow me to be a lazy lounge dude while playing). I haven't experienced any connectivity problems that have been reported. I played somewhere between 20-30 hours so far. I spent a good portion of playing the Switch in handheld mode with the joy cons attached the to screen. That also felt natural and good. It really helps when a game like Zelda really knocks it out of the park. I would say that if you want to get the console only for Zelda, go for it. If you think you can wait or simply want to deal with Zelda on the Wii U (people who have played both say they prefer the Switch version just for the cleaner interface) then waiting a few months would be a good plan.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

God I just found out about the dead pixel thing. We'll done trying to pass it off as not being a defect Nintendo.

Apparently the dead pixels thing isn't a defect and that it's "normal", their own words. The more I research the switch, the less I want to get one for the time being. I have a Wii U so if I want to play the new zelda, could just get that version.

Unfortunately it's looking like I won't be able to trade in my Wii U towards a Switch...EB Games is telling me that I'm ineligible for the promotion since it is sold out.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Has anyone else picked up a Switch? Seems like I'm the only one here who has one.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I've really been wanting one! Now that I have job I can save up for one though, so hopefully I'll get one soon!

I have a Switch, but only because I pre-ordered the Zelda special edition (I wasn't going to get the Wii U version, too). The Switch only confirms my stance on never buying a system at launch and waiting for a better version to be released later on.

My main gripe is the size of the joy-cons. They're too small for my hands and actually are detrimental to playing games. I have no idea how often I'd crouch by accident in Zelda due to the way I have to hold them to be comfortable (I actually failed the Hero's Trial due to this). Using the bow was really awkward as well, but I've been able to manage it pretty well in the long run.

So here I am stuck with controllers designed for toddler hands or spend SEVENTY DOLLARS for a pro-controller. No thanks. As soon as that Nyko controller comes out ($30 I think) I'm grabbing that.

There's also no way to charge the joy-cons and play without reverting to the handheld mode, which in turn drains the system battery. Nintendo also felt the need to make the consumer buy a charging grip separately (released at launch, not packaged with Switch) and have a cheep plastic docking bay that could potentially scratch the screen and isn't sturdy at all. Nyko is also releasing a dock that looks much better.

Weak wi-fi connectivity was also an issue unless you were in the room with the router, but I haven't noticed a problem lately. Is that even possible to fix with a system patch?

I also never had performance problems with the joy-cons like other have (besides the small size).

For those interested in a Switch I would recommend waiting for the inevitable Switch XL that would hopefully address most of these problems (maybe even include headset support rather than needing a smart phone + app). Bigger memory would be nice, too. Nintendo loves pushing digital these day without the HDD to support it.

I do really like the system itself, though. It's a shame that the design and accessory handling has been a flop. Taking instant screenshots rather than having to post on Miiverse is nice, but I'd like a way to upload more than one at a time (outside of using a SD card). Video capture like PS4 would be great, too.