Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horizon: Zero Dawn | Official Thread

Mmm, I've liked what I've read as well. Essentially it seems to be "it actually is how you thought it would be," which is pretty nice. I won't be picking it up on launch though as I'm still going to be going through Berseria, Gravity Rush 2 and a couple of others for at least the next month I think.

Definitely one to grab in a couple of months though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I'll definitely be picking this game up within its launch week! I haven't read any of the reviews, I don't feel the need to. From what I've seen and heard it seems like it's going to be a fantastic game.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Refreshing when a game lives up to its hype. I will get it too!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Default Horizon - Zero Dawn anyone?

Anyone else enjoying this masterpiece? Don't know if the game can possibly keep pace with the beginning. But what I've played so far (maybe five hours?) is pretty phenomenal.

My hype feels warranted and sated. I have trouble stopping my play sessions. Which is rare for me

I just picked it up. I'll probably start playing it tonight.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I started last night and got a few hours in. I'm absolutely loving it so far, wish I had more time to just sit down and binge on it.

I can't believe how freaking good it looks as well. My TV isn't particularly new and I don't have a PS4 pro, and it still looks absolutely insane.

Aw I got moved. I'm not sure this game got to be in this forum. I'd call it an RPG personally. But what's in a name anyway. Great game so far no matter how It's sliced. Fast and engaging combat, with lots of varied perks to unlock for custom play styles. A beautiful and unique open works. Very fascinating lore with great writing and voice acting. Complimented by music that's just as good as everything else

For my money I would say this if my favorite experience so far this generation. And it it keeps it up I would argue It's on par with The Last of Us

And Aloy feels very real. Which is probably in that "game feel" level of hard to describe and best experienced first hand. But I genuinely want to be her friend and watch her succeed. Bonus that I get to help it happen

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, I've played for about four hours and it's absolutely phenomenal.
    I like Kung-Fu.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

this is the highest praise i've ever seen on this message board for anything and i'm finding it incredible

i'll play it once i get a psx four

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I wish I had money.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Could someone give me the rundown? I've heard about the game before but I've never really dug into it fully. What's the general story about, and what's game-play like?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What's the general story about, and what's game-play like?
    As someone who's played for five hours...

In a nutshell, you play as a young woman in a distant future where technology has destroy civilization, nature has taken back the earth, machines in the form of animals wander the landscape beside actual animals, humanity has reverted back to tribal societies, and an entire religion has formed based on these things. The woman you play is an outcast, shunned by her tribe to a life of exile that she longs to remedy and find answers to, because she, like you, has no idea why things are this way, and no one is telling. Honestly there's a lot more details but it'd take several paragraphs for me to fully explain because it really is that deep, and the game does an incredibly good job of showing and telling the story so that it's not at all hard to grasp or understand. Modern Square Enix could really take a lesson or two from this game.

As far as gameplay goes, it's an open-world action RPG. It's kind of like grown up Zelda with a lot more depth and options in a wide open world. You have melee attacks and an array of weaponry at your disposal, including various traps and a bow with various kinds of arrows available. Combat is extremely satisfying too. Sometimes you get into really fast paced battles and you have to do your best to hit weak spots, and doing everything just right and taking down a big metal beast feels more rewarding than 99% of the battles in video games I've played. It's very well balanced and adequately difficult. It's challenging enough to make you feel accomplished from a win, but it's not masochistically hard like the Souls games or anything. You also level up and there's a whole progression system, as you would expect in an RPG.

To be fair, I've actively avoided reading things about the game, so there's a ton of stuff I don't know yet. But I will also point out that it may very well be the most visually gorgeous game I've ever played as well, and I'm playing on a standard PS4. Youtube videos don't at all do it justice.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What's the general story about, and what's game-play like?
    As someone who's played for five hours...

In a nutshell, you play as a young woman in a distant future where technology has destroy civilization, nature has taken back the earth, machines in the form of animals wander the landscape beside actual animals, humanity has reverted back to tribal societies, and an entire religion has formed based on these things. The woman you play is an outcast, shunned by her tribe to a life of exile that she longs to remedy and find answers to, because she, like you, has no idea why things are this way, and no one is telling. Honestly there's a lot more details but it'd take several paragraphs for me to fully explain because it really is that deep, and the game does an incredibly good job of showing and telling the story so that it's not at all hard to grasp or understand. Modern Square Enix could really take a lesson or two from this game.

As far as gameplay goes, it's an open-world action RPG. It's kind of like grown up Zelda with a lot more depth and options in a wide open world. You have melee attacks and an array of weaponry at your disposal, including various traps and a bow with various kinds of arrows available. Combat is extremely satisfying too. Sometimes you get into really fast paced battles and you have to do your best to hit weak spots, and doing everything just right and taking down a big metal beast feels more rewarding than 99% of the battles in video games I've played. It's very well balanced and adequately difficult. It's challenging enough to make you feel accomplished from a win, but it's not masochistically hard like the Souls games or anything. You also level up and there's a whole progression system, as you would expect in an RPG.

To be fair, I've actively avoided reading things about the game, so there's a ton of stuff I don't know yet. But I will also point out that it may very well be the most visually gorgeous game I've ever played as well, and I'm playing on a standard PS4. Youtube videos don't at all do it justice.
    I've not played an original IP since my first Tales game, and that was like over a year ago.

Hmm. Thanks DMKA! I might want to look at a few combat videos just to see what the pace of combat is. I'm very much used to games where I can pause combat and take stock of where I am. Even in Action RPGs there's usually a pausing mechanic (ME's power wheel, for example). If it doesn't, it isn't a massive deal.

Right, time to start looking!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty excited for this game myself

Played less than an hour so far...but I'm absolutely in love with this game.

Pull my Devil Trigger!