Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horizon: Zero Dawn | Official Thread

Hmmm... I never expected a FPS studio to make a good RPG, and I am shocked to hear praise for this game. Other gaming forums are just making fun of it.

Would someone who only plays JRPGs, mostly ones that are turn-based/ATB and favorably from the NES to PS2 era, enjoy this?

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    Hmmm... I never expected a FPS studio to make a good RPG, and I am shocked to hear praise for this game. Other gaming forums are just making fun of it.

Would someone who only plays JRPGs, mostly ones that are turn-based/ATB and favorably from the NES to PS2 era, enjoy this?
    If you only enjoy JRPGs and nothing else, then you wouldn't enjoy this. It is not a JRPG.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    I didn't think there was anyone making fun of this game. Isn't it unanimously praised at this point? I would seriously question the people making fun of it before I questioned the game itself, though I'm only just now getting into the meat of it.

That said, no, a person who only plays old school jrpgs would not enjoy this game.

My girlfriend dived into the cesspool of haters and came out with pretty lame arguments. The one tribe is matriarchal and you play as a girl. So obviously the developer wasn't just curious to explore a different type of societal norm. They are spearheading a SJW agenda.

People think Aloy is ugly. People think the game is ruined by the optional crafting aspect (you can buy supplies as easy as making them, though you may need to do a little hunting to make some upgrades). And finally thanks to a couple outlier videos and cases, people think the game is a buggy mess. Which It's not. At all.

I've lost a lot of interest in the game. It's not the game itself that's the problem; it's beautiful and very well designed. I just feel like I'm uninterested in open world games.

The only exception to this is Zelda, which I plan on picking up soon enough. I don't want to burn myself out on open world games before I play that though, so unfortunately I might be putting Horizon on the shelf for awhile.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    My girlfriend dived into the cesspool of haters and came out with pretty lame arguments. The one tribe is matriarchal and you play as a girl. So obviously the developer wasn't just curious to explore a different type of societal norm. They are spearheading a SJW agenda.
    We is our own worst enemy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Confession: I never knew what SJW stood for. I just remember that woman from Sex in the City used initials like this so I just used to picture her whenever I saw this. As you can imagine this was extremely confusing. Now it makes a lot more sense and I feel stupid.

Back on topic though, I'll definitely pick this up but I have to prioritise. Nothing is jumping ahead of Andromeda in my gaming queue.

Fair point. This is an expensive time of year for good games. Resident Evil 7, Tales of Berseria, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Tides of Numenera, and Nier have all been obliterating my wallet and expendable income. And I won't have time to play all of them until later in the year. Only thing is I've heard Nioh and now Nier have been hard to find in the wild without a reserve. And I already ran into the problem with Gravity Rush: Remastered disappearing in the wild completely and now it's digital-only (thanks to Amazon exclusivity). So I'm constantly paranoid now that the games I want will disappear.

Mass Effect will never have this problem. But now my physical back-log is as big as my Steam back-log lol

Plus, as much as I love BioWare, I've only ever finished Dragon Age Origins, and Knights of the Old Republic. I'm still about halfway through ME3, Dragon Age 2, and Inquisition. As excellent as they are. Though I've seen my girlfriend beat the Mass Effect Trilogy about 4 times. I reserved it to get the delux day one stuff, since it's only 10 extra dollars. But honestly, Mass Effect will probably be the one on the back burner for me, as weird as that is.. And Horizon is pretty phenomenal so far. But I totally understand making Mass Effect (or Breath of the Wilds, for those people) the priority

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

This game went from 0 to 60 real fast. I thought the first arc was kind of boring. I mean it's the tutorial and they're teaching you, but it just felt a little sluggish. Then the proving and everything happened the world opened up and you got some real plot and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    That said, no, a person who only plays old school jrpgs would not enjoy any game.
    ftfy

Anyways, I just ordered this after my coworker praised it so highly!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I bought the Complete Edition a couple days ago for £25 in a PSN sale! I started downloading it today and MY GOD it's taking forever. Keeping my PS4 in rest mode overnight so *hopefully* it will be ready to play tomorrow.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I skipped over the rest of this thread for fear of spoilers. Just popping in to say I've been loving this game and I'm around 50% into it.

Last week I took down my first Thunderjaw and was so pleased with myself. The most satisfying since beating a Lynel in BotW. I wish the PS4 could upload larger videos so I could have gotten the entire fight.

And oh man the photo mode...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTJQjecVwAA0T2p.jpg:large

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

*bump* Beat the game and Platinum'ed it a short while after recently. Excellent and well worth the investment, have started on the expansion (I got it in a packaged game dealarino) and might bother to finish it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I see the platinum comment a lot from people. I'm still at the tail end, I don't know if they are achievements or not, but there's a few rough things I want to knock out before beating the game, but everyone seems pretty satisfied in getting platinum in this game. Which is awesome. Platinum is usually a slog rather than a gratifying accomplishment. Just one more notch on their belt in quality game making I suppose. Can't wait to see what the studio does next. I never played Killzone or whatever they were known for, but they have a fan in me now

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Main reasons I got Platinum...

- I didn't have to replay the game in a higher difficulty setting for another trophy.
    - I had already done most of the trophies while playing the game just because I enjoyed doing all the quests and different things.
    - The remaining trophies didn't look too difficult - and they weren't, in the end.

The toughest one was completing all the hunting grounds with blazing suns because one particular hunting ground claims to be based about stealth but realistically is all about going crazy and just tearing things up ASAP.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!