Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Official Thread

If Berseria ends up not being the best game I play this year then it's going to be one hell of a year, definitely!

I'm likely gonna pick up the WiiU version of Zelda once I've finished that and Gravity Rush 2... and maybe Andromeda now I think about it

So, I have it since Saturday and I absolutely love it. I am sad though because I should have Nier 2 already and nothing except FFVII comes even close to Nier for me. Yes, Nier is my #2 righest ranked fictional piece of all time. Nevertheless I enjoyed the beauty of Breath of the Wild to console me a bit longer. Tomorrow though - or today in my case - it means to taek a few days of a break from it. Good that once I return I have a lot more to do, I did not even finish the story yet.

Just exploring the world was already great, especially climbing higher and higher but when I continued the story I was glad that there really was more than I feared would be.

Yeah, I have to say, this is one of my favorite Zelda games, story-wise. There's a lot more to it than some people made it seem, and the story is filled with a lot of interesting and engaging characters.

That said, most of my time is spent off exploring the world, ignoring these wonderful characters and their personal journeys. But they're there, and they're great.

Also, found the traditional gambling house of the series. "Pay so much, open one of three chests". Save before hand, and Rupees are no longer a concern. It's slow, but dang it, there's a lot of cool stuff to buy! And more arrows. ALWAYS more arrows.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

How do the NPCs compare to Majora's Mask?

So far, they compare quite favorably. Similar to Majora's Mask, there's a daily cycle that goes on, and people live and move through routines in their daily lives.

None of the sidequests that I've done so far have been as poignant as, say, the Lover's Mask quest (they've been shorter thus far too, though I'm finding longer ones as I go). But the NPCs are just as strongly written.

Overall, they're well written. There are actually some pretty strong parallels between some of the major plot NPCs and some of the Majora's Mask characters ((SPOILER)The Champions compared to those you use the Song of Healing on to get their masks.). But the major plot NPCs are all well written, they expand the lore a lot (honestly, it's looking like almost a combined timeline), and they're all lovable.

I need to get more of my Let's Play uploaded so you can meet some of them. Trust me, they're awesome.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I haven't read this thread in full yet, so if anything I say has already been said, I apologize.

Now, I haven't played this game. So anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. This is simply my opinion after watching maybe 2-3 hours total of gameplay.

I really don't understand all the perfect reviews this game got. Don't get me wrong, it looks fun. And until I play it I can't judge it either way. I may just be getting old, but I really think once I DO play it, I am going to prefer the traditional style Zelda game. Nintendo wants to innovate and push the envelope, I get that. It's necessary and admirable. I just prefer the older style.

There's something satisfying about beating a dungeon, getting a new item, and then being able to do x number of new things throughout Hyrule. I enjoy games like Skyrim and Fallout where you just do a few things and then you are on your own, but to me Zelda was never about that. It's about puzzles and adventure.

The shrines seem like they have replaced the big, elaborate dungeons for the most part. I know there are dungeons still, but not as many as usual, correct? That's a big turn off for me. Wandering Hyrule slaying meaningless moblins and watching my weapon break every 10 minutes is not super enticing for me. If the shrines were bigger and more involved, I'd be in heaven. But the ones I have seen seem fairly basic, solve a puzzle or two and get an orb.

that's another thing. I REALLY enjoy the hunting for heart pieces in these games. Having health given to you after collecting so many orbs is just not as fun, IMO.

As I said, I haven't played the game. So for all I know once I get my hands on it and actually experience the game for real, this will all change. But these are my thoughts on it as of now. Seems like a 7/8 out of 10 for me personally. Great game considering the scope and the innovations, but below ALttP, OoT, Twilight Princess AND Wind Waker easily for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
    I haven't read this thread in full yet, so if anything I say has already been said, I apologize.

Now, I haven't played this game. So anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. This is simply my opinion after watching maybe 2-3 hours total of gameplay.

I really don't understand all the perfect reviews this game got. Don't get me wrong, it looks fun. And until I play it I can't judge it either way. I may just be getting old, but I really think once I DO play it, I am going to prefer the traditional style Zelda game. Nintendo wants to innovate and push the envelope, I get that. It's necessary and admirable. I just prefer the older style.

There's something satisfying about beating a dungeon, getting a new item, and then being able to do x number of new things throughout Hyrule. I enjoy games like Skyrim and Fallout where you just do a few things and then you are on your own, but to me Zelda was never about that. It's about puzzles and adventure.

The shrines seem like they have replaced the big, elaborate dungeons for the most part. I know there are dungeons still, but not as many as usual, correct? That's a big turn off for me. Wandering Hyrule slaying meaningless moblins and watching my weapon break every 10 minutes is not super enticing for me. If the shrines were bigger and more involved, I'd be in heaven. But the ones I have seen seem fairly basic, solve a puzzle or two and get an orb.

that's another thing. I REALLY enjoy the hunting for heart pieces in these games. Having health given to you after collecting so many orbs is just not as fun, IMO.

As I said, I haven't played the game. So for all I know once I get my hands on it and actually experience the game for real, this will all change. But these are my thoughts on it as of now. Seems like a 7/8 out of 10 for me personally. Great game considering the scope and the innovations, but below ALttP, OoT, Twilight Princess AND Wind Waker easily for me.
    There's a couple points where I disagree, and a few areas where I think you're selling the game short (unintentionally).

I had no problem with the move away from the standard item format the way it occurred in Link Between Worlds. You get most of the tools early on, the dungeons still have a "focus" item, it's just not given in that dungeon. This game follows a similar structure.

Then too, the "complete a dungeon and see what else opens up" isn't wholly gone. Each dungeon is tied to world elements that give you access to new armor. And armor in this game is similar to Ocarina of Time in that it helps you explore. Heat resistance, cold resistance, increased swim speed, and (with some armor you get from shrines) increased climbing speed. You can get around many of these limitations early (by cooking spicy dishes that keep you warm in cold areas, for example), but getting those bonuses permanently does give you a lot more freedom to explore.

The shrines don't exactly take the place of the dungeons. Attempting to broadly describe them isn't helpful, though, because there are several different types. Some are just combat fights. Others are the equivalent to 1-3 rooms of a standard dungeon's puzzles. And others are as simple as walking in and grabbing the orb, because the shrine's puzzle is finding and unlocking the shrine (similar to puzzles to get Heart Containers in earlier games).

The shrine puzzles definitely get more complex, most of them being themed around a single ability or mechanic, and stretching so that some are as much as three rooms from a traditional dungeon. And the biggest hunt you get to most of them is the name.

The Spirit Orb mechanic is a bit odd, but shrines are basically just Heart Pieces. Figure out how to get to the end, collect it, get four, get your boost.

As for the "wandering Hyrule, slaying random moblins"... Yeah, you can do that, but it's not exactly the point. Your weapons break to encourage you to use more, and various types. But foes aren't just things to hunt. They're obstacles, or objectives. Atop a frozen mountain I saw a mighty Lynel. As I approached, he drew his bow, standing firm and gazing straight at me. I pull a treasure chest from the ground nearby and open it. He just keeps his warning gaze, daring me to try something. Needing Lynel horns for an armor upgrade, I draw my weapon, and the beast begins to fire Shock arrows at me before I can even close in. Just a part of the world, an adventure to enjoy. Enemies are things to hunt, or obstacles guarding chests or blocking the way to the top of the next hill. You can kill for the sake of it, but mostly you're out exploring.

And there are things to find. Aside from hidden shrines, there are quests and chests, and Koroks galore. And just things to find out in the world. Landmarks and beauty and hidden secrets and lore.

Give the game a try. It's something special.

Though different indeed the main dungeons are still there and I think they provide enough of a "challenge" to call themselves the main dungeons. And they have more story connection than most Zelda dungeons so you might enjoy them at least somewhat I guess. The Shrines are sort of "mini dungeons" buts truth be told they are more to be compared to ordinary caves you find in older Zeldas were there is a smaller riddle and were you get a treasure chest. You have a shorter riddle that might remind you of a dungeon but that is it really. And some of them only need a few minutes. Or many. It depends on you.

Wandering Hyrule slaying meaningless moblins and watching my weapon break every 10 minutes is not super enticing for me.
    I know it is very tempting to say that but that is something which you really should try. Just running around for a few hours and simply "feeling" the world while exploring or even just climbing around might provide you with more entertainment than you expect. This game made me enjoy collecting stamina vessels just so I could climb higher and easier.

Admittedly I'm just as cautious as MSJ but there's a good point to be made about experiencing I suppose. An example for me would be Dragon Quest Builders which just looks like Mine Craft with a Dragon Quest mod. But it was a really magical thing to experience first hand. That being said, what I've seen and read don't have me very anxious to try the latest Zelda, but I can admit its possible I'll feel very different if and when its in my hands

The new costume coming out in DLC 1 is pretty interesting.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Just started this game from scratch again, with the intent of finally beating it this time.

I honestly think BotW has singlehandedly restored my faith and optimism in Nintendo. It's one of the most satisfying and enjoyable games I think I've ever played.

Can't wait for the Summer DLC!

Pull my Devil Trigger!

I was left with a bit of a depressed feeling when I finally beat the game. All the hype and anticipation leading up to the game, especially those last two months, and the blast of a time I had exploring the world for so many hours was ultimately over.

Sadder yet is a replay will never be as good. Nothing really can be found again. The mystery is gone. The trial and error will be missing. It's a feeling I've never had with a game before.

At the moment I still have five more shrines to find and a handful of quests to uncover. Not to mention the hundreds of more Koroks to find. Outside of that it's just upgrading armor (why so many star fragments, tho?).

So the first DLC for Breath of the Wild comes out on Friday, June 30th.

It adds a new difficulty called Master Mode, a new Special Trial, a Hero's Path Mode, new equipment, and a faster method of travel via the Travel Medallion.

Does anyone else plan on picking it up? I'm trying to finish the game before the first DLC releases. I'm really looking forward to the new trial!

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Once anybody gets to know me they know I pre-order anything Zelda (except for the three new Amiibo, I don't know how I dropped the ball on that one), including the DLC.

I have been intentionally not playing BotW just so I can see my hero trail progress. Unfortunately I'm at around 210 hours, so the first ten of my adventure are lost. More than anything I'm looking forward to the Korok mask to make the next 600 easier to find.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just started this and man, this is fantastic. Easily already one of the best Zeldas, and may end up being one of my favorite games ever. I'll have to give it some more time, but after learning about some of the things in store for me on my quest, I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum