Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who

Articles
    Blog Entries

Subconsciously choosing the face of a minor character from one episode is fair enough. Subconsciously choosing the face of a companion? Ehhhhhhh.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    It should be a Ginger. I just remembered 10 and 11 saying they wish they'd have been a ginger.
    Karen Gillan for the new doctor. I don't care if it doesn't make much sense.
    Heck yes let's do that. And it does make sense! After Capaldi played that character in the Pompeii episode, they made it canon that he subconsciously chose that face to be his new one. Why not subconsciously choose to be a Pond?
    Well he holds a lot more guilt over Amy than the no guilt he felt for saving pompeii people. BUT! I also don't give a trout and I want her back damn it!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think in a way it would be awesome. Like, dealing with the pain every time he looks in the mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

It's definitely about time that the Doctor was something other than a white man. I don't think it should be Gillan though: I'd rather it was someone completely new.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It does make sense, definitely, and it sounds like a good idea in principle (though I personally would like to see a new actor in the role). Amy is not the first or the last companion to die under the Doctor's supervision, though.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

She's not really dead.

In all seriousness I would like a new actor, but if they announced tomorrow that the new Doctor was Karen I would not have an issue with it. My life could always use more of her in it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Does anyone actually want the character to remain male? I can see most people in this thread would like that to change but I find myself disagreeing. Oh, and I don't doubt in the wider internet sphere there are a lot of knuckle dragging twats that would hate the idea and will send death threats to whatever actress gets the nod. I guess that's why I'm asking the question here as I actually care what you all think.

To me Doctor is an important role model for boys and teens as a good example of positive masculinity. His strong moral compass, general belief in non-violence and willingness to display emotions are all much needed qualities that aren't always encouraged in young men. I don't disagree that there does need to be a greater representation of females and minorities (not opposed to a minority Doctor at all) in the media in general. However, I also don't think females are under represented in Doctor Who and I also think you're better off introducing new characters and shows with female leads rather than changing an existing character arbitrarily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to boycott the show or write to my MP if they do cast a female - unless it's Miranda Hart but that's because Miranda Hart is an abomination - but likewise I don't think it's the right call either.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can understand your argument (and I don't disagree with you at all on the Doctor having some great qualities for young boys to see in a male protagonist) but in a world with no shortage of male Doctors in the past and no reason they can't go back to a male Doctor in the future I'm not sure I'd agree. Particularly since a gender swap would lead to, what I think anyway (as a man so let me know if any of you women here disagree) a pretty great role model for young girls in the fact that you'd have a brilliant, take charge and save the day character for them to look up to. There've been some companions that toy with that a bit but at the end of the day they still largely follow the Doctors lead. Why not have a female Doctor that the men get to follow for a change?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I do agree with Psy about the role model for healthy masculinity, definitely. But I do think a strong female role model would do wonders for encouraging young girls and women to think about STEM industries more. I mean, the Doctor is kickass not because he can lay the beatdown on the bad guys, but because he out-think them and plan brilliant strategies without having to resort to violence. That, and the Doctor knows so much about science, mathematics, technology, physics. Seeing a woman in that position (as opposed to being the Doctor's everyday knowledge assistant) would be a great step, I think.

I don't think they should put a woman in the role simply because she is a woman. But because that move would revitalise the series, encourage new demographics to watch the show and inspire young girls and women to take up STEM more often.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Capaldi is going so soon. His 1st season was definitely a bit rough, but I thought his second season was quite strong and I liked a lot of the humour between him and Clara. That said we get a whole third season with him before he leaves - and I guess it makes sense since Moffat is also leaving as showrunner.

EDIT: Just read that article and apparently there's a chance that Richard Ayoade could be the next Doctor - that could be pretty epic! "Oh no it's the motherflipping Daleks again!"
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 02-01-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Thanks for the replies, those are some good points and certainly made me think about my position. I am aware I do have an invested bias in this having grown up watching my recorded-from-TV-VHS 8th Doctor special over and over again (shut up I don't care how bad it was, he's brilliant) and being a teenager when the revival came back. The show does not, of course, exist solely for my pleasure. I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make new shows and characters rather than changing an existing one, although I can also see using an established character that is already beloved gives a much needed boost.

next doctor: dr nick
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Have any of you guys seen the BBC Three spin-off, Class? In terms of positive portrayals of masculinity, I'd say it performs fairly well, and the women in the show end up being more physically capable than the men (they certainly have more fight scenes).

It's better than the sum of its parts, though: objectively, you can tell it has flaws in some areas (pacing being one, with only eight episodes, it could've done with a few more). But I like it. I'm pretty biased though, as it has a rare example of a healthy gay relationship in the show.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I want some more female companions who don't have some romantic interest in Him. That's just frustrating. Donna is bae I don't care what anyone says.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Well there was no romantic interest with Capaldi's Doctor and Clara.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"