Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 | Official Thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Just started last night and I'm getting ready to do the first Palace dungeon officially. Holy hell the UI and loading transitions for this game are insane.
    Just want to chime in and agree with this. As it's the first Persona I'd seen I was expecting a much more traditional RPG UI but what it has instead blew my mind. It is one hell of a stylish game. It's something where you could see a screenshot of it and instantly know what game it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Just started last night and I'm getting ready to do the first Palace dungeon officially. Holy hell the UI and loading transitions for this game are insane.
    Just want to chime in and agree with this. As it's the first Persona I'd seen I was expecting a much more traditional RPG UI but what it has instead blew my mind. It is one hell of a stylish game. It's something where you could see a screenshot of it and instantly know what game it is.
    The presentation alone makes Persona 5 one of the best games of all time.

I honestly have no idea how they could ever top it in Persona 6. But it makes me excited to think about how they would.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

The stylishness and attention to detail are directly responsible for all the memes flying around. All of which I enjoy.

Also, I only just realized that our teacher shares a voice actor with Yukari Takeba. I won't be able to unhear that, and I feel like an idiot for not noticing sooner. I thought it was familiar, but...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unpopular opinion of the year but I hate the UI x)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love the Death Arcana, brings back fond memories of my favorite side quest in Fallout 3. Also, I think I may have a crush on her.

There are some really neat ideas in this game which builds on less thought out ones from the earlier installments. I think one element that really sticks out of me about this game in comparison to P4 specifically is how intertwined both game worlds are to each other. The Confidants all feel like people chosen to help you get further with Phantom Thieving as opposed to something you do on your time off. Also the Baton Pass mechanic is ingenious and finally brings back a level of strategy I was missing from P4. The conversation mechanic is also a welcome return for me as it was one of my favorite mechanics from SMT.

Also, I am incredibly grateful that Morgana is nowhere near as annoying as Teddie. No puns and he seems to have a more interesting story going for him as opposed to Teddie whom the P4 cast sort of just accepted without question and then resolved itself with little ceremony. I am having an issue rectifying the fact that Morgana is traditionally a female name and he's voiced by a girl, so it's weird he refers to himself as a guy.

Also, dungeon checkpoints are great.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Second palace down. I was relieved after the tutorial hell of the first one that this would be similar, but thankfully I found this dungeon to be shorter, thanks to not having the plot fore me out half a dozen times like the first one.

I've also opened up a few more confidants and leveled up a few more. The cast is very interesting, not coming across as I thought they would. Ann especially has not turned out the way I imagined her based on what little of the marketing I've seen. I'm a little sad the game pulled a P4 and relegated two social links to fulfill gameplay expansions that previous games had done for free. I'm hoping the payoff for the Fool Arcana will be worth it.

The social link with minor P5 spoilers the Velvet Room Twins is basically the same SL as Margaret from P4, but I'm liking it a bit more because Margaret always felt really flat to me as a character, whereas the twins have an interesting conflicting personality dynamic that makes them more amusing to converse with. Wonder if they'll continue the Secret Boss tradition the series had since Eternal Punishment or if Igor is finally going to do so. As of now, my real hope is that the Death Arcana is someone I can date, cause that's going to happen if it can.

Being late with video rental fees aside, I'm having a blast with the game so far and have enjoyed the little touches. I think my favorite Easter Egg so far has been the return of the Trivia Drink feature from Catherine whenever you brew some coffee.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 05-26-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Found another I had to share...

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Just picked it up. Can't wait to see what all the hubbub is all about!!!

I'm now not sure what my favourite Persona game is anymore. It used to be Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, but the dungeon design in P5 is hands down the best in any jRPG I've ever played, and the graphics/music are super slick.

I've never been a fan of the MC-death==Game Over stuff, though, and the enemy encounters weren't varied enough for me to appreciate the battle system as much as I probably should have.

But overall, apart from the underwhelming final Palace, I really really liked P5. I Wouldn't be surprised if this picks up most Game of the Year awards, and there appears to be a lot of competition from what I can tell (still haven't played Nier Automata!! Woe is me)

While I can't disagree with the opinion, I highly doubt mainstream games media will choose a JRPG, even a fantastic one, as game of the year

I need to get back into this game, now that I'm on a vacation, where a loss of an hour or so won't hurt as much if I get hit by Lucky Punch, until I find or create a persona stronger against physical attacks, so I can finish enjoying the game

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    While I can't disagree with the opinion, I highly doubt mainstream games media will choose a JRPG, even a fantastic one, as game of the year
    Normally I'd agree, but P5 entered the sales charts in the top 5 in the US and at number 1 here in the UK. I think compared to other jRPGS it had a lot more coverage/positive press. Never say never....

I need to get back into this game, now that I'm on a vacation, where a loss of an hour or so won't hurt as much if I get hit by Lucky Punch, until I find or create a persona stronger against physical attacks, so I can finish enjoying the game
    Not gonna lie, once I got a Shiki-Ouji at Level 26 (Nulls Phys/Gun) the game felt substantially less difficult. Only recommended if you wanna borderline-break the game...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's all about getting Arabahki, he is almost always a highlight for me when he actually shows up in the game cause dude reflects Physical and Gun. Also, Lucky Strike just has a ridiculously high Crit rate, so it's always dangerous. I am actually pretty happy that P5 brought back some skills from Nocturne where they do low damage but have like 70% crit rates attached to them. Lucky/Mircale Strike is one of the reasons why Mona is such a well rounded character.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post
    I'm now not sure what my favourite Persona game is anymore. It used to be Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, but the dungeon design in P5 is hands down the best in any jRPG I've ever played, and the graphics/music are super slick.

I've never been a fan of the MC-death==Game Over stuff, though, and the enemy encounters weren't varied enough for me to appreciate the battle system as much as I probably should have.

But overall, apart from the underwhelming final Palace, I really really liked P5. I Wouldn't be surprised if this picks up most Game of the Year awards, and there appears to be a lot of competition from what I can tell (still haven't played Nier Automata!! Woe is me)
    I certainly agree about this game seriously contending with my favorite entries within the Persona series. I love P2 and P3, and this game kind of feels like a love letter to the fans of both games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been following news. I'm with Fynn in wanting to play the game but alas, no funds to do so as of yet. Some point in summer though, definitely!

What tempers my mood somewhat is lingering questions about the representation of LGBT people in what seems like a backslide from P4, but I need to play the game myself to get a full picture. Doesn't look great though from what I've been told asking around.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I've been following news. I'm with Fynn in wanting to play the game but alas, no funds to do so as of yet. Some point in summer though, definitely!

What tempers my mood somewhat is lingering questions about the representation of LGBT people in what seems like a backslide from P4, but I need to play the game myself to get a full picture. Doesn't look great though from what I've been told asking around.
    Barring two side joke NPCs who are cringy stereotypes, the element doesn't really come up. There is a Drag Queen NPC as well, but they are actually pretty awesome in my opinion and I was so excited when I learned I could work for them. Lala is the highlight of the Devil Confidant.