Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 | Official Thread

Well I did end up acquiring the game, waiting for the Japanese audio patch to download and compare the two before I commit to really playing it

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    The PS4 may have had a slow start, but it is rapidly building up steam.
    that would be the PS3, it started at the back and didn't surpass the others until the final stretch... the PS4 hit the ground running and left the other consoles coughing in the dust-cloud at the gate...

yeah Fynn, i feel for ya man, but when you get your PS4 it's gonna be some of the most awesome gaming fun ever... it's tax season, maybe invest some of those returns into one...
    i'm not so sure about that. it just had more power, and a few but good exclusives. the rest was just rehashes from ps3. game-wise, it had a slow start
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

A lot of people bought a PS3 initially as a multi-functional blu-ray player, and if I remember correctly, it was still cheaper than actual blu-ray players of the time, which were $700 - 1000, and this one just happened to play games, as scarce as any good games were at the time. The PS4 was bought for games, and didn't take nearly as long for the good ones to start showing up. Plus, the PS3 started from behind, the Wii dominated the industry when it came out and the 360 was a lot cheaper and easier to port PC games to. The PS4 learned from that lesson and so it's more computer'y and easier to port games to, easier to develop for in general, and more widely enjoyed by the gaming audience. It's been dominating this generation since it started, even if it didn't start out with all stellar games. At least if my memory is true at any rate. I didn't bother to verify any of this

Edit: (hours later, but no need to double-post) Finally finished installing the Japanese audio and played the first hour twice, once for each language, and really they are pretty spot-on with each other. They put very similar voices to characters in each language. So there's not really much to sway preference other than bias. I'm probably gonna have to stick with English, but I like having the option. I've heard a lot of complaints about squeaky high pitched mousey voices in the Japanese version though, and the last thing I need in my Persona games is more P4Golden version of Chie. I've heard someone call the English version "bored white girl" voice acting, which is way more tolerable to my ears. I'll take girls similar to PS2 P4 Chie over P4Golden Chie
    Last edited by Vyk; 04-10-2017 at 04:27 AM.

BEST JRPG GAME SINCE FINAL FANTASY X, HOLY trout

edit : Fynn don't look. Pretend it says XII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I've heard the original voice acting for Chie and it really does not fit her character. P4G Chie is the best by a mile.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played both. Original Chie was fine and the Golden one did seem grating at first, but once I got used to the different take, I was completely on board. So much energy! Erin Fitzgerald was a bold choice but also one I think paid off incredibly well!

I like Fitzgerald as Teepo in Xillia, but having that same hyper ear-grating pitch and whine drove me nuts. And I don't know that she actually grows on you, she actually calms down about a quarter of the way through the game. But that's still a ridiculous 20 hours of shrieking, and I ended up losing interest in the game not long after that, so it was so not worth it. I plan on picking the game back up sometime, but it will probably be with the PS2 version because of that. I don't hate Erin Fitzgerald, but I do hate that version of Chie

Edit: I don't know if anyone watched the English dub of Excel Saga, and I enjoyed that show, but Excel was the most annoying character in anime history to me, and P4G Chie reminds me of Excel way too much. I guess I'm not down with that particular trope/archetype. PS2 Chie seemed more real to me. And I know people are like "That's how teenagers act", but no, I was a teenager, and nobody's voice grated on my nerves like that. Not to mention everyone else in the cast has a normal human voice. Why does she have to be a caricature of a teenage stereotype instead a real person like everyone else? Just my personal preference, but I'll never be convinced otherwise. She's just too wrong for me. I could relate to her when she was a calm energetic and just into kung fu movies. But when she's a cartoon she's completely unrelatable to me

I'm still only in early May. Really need to crack down and spend some more time with this game. :P

Also...it's OST is fantastic.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Any chance of this coming out in a portable form? All the other Persona games were ported to PSP or Vita but I'm not sure Vita can handle a PS4 game. I want to play this but this series is such a great one to play a little here or there on the go since it is not very fast paced.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Honestly it's style is not very different to Persona 4. So it could be done, but it would take some work, as I'm sure all the models and resolution are way too high. They'd have to go through and tone everything down. But I don't think the engine itself is "too powerful" for the Vita. Just models and textures are too intensive. If there were a wide enough market for it, I'd almost bank on them scaling it back and doing a port. But with the Vita floundering in the water, who knows

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Poor Vita. It really is a fantastic piece of equipment. Hell, Switch is basically a souped up Vita you can play on your TV.

If it is all just scaling down models and textures, then that is definitely doable. Just a question of if it is worth it for them. P4G is like the best Vita game out there.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Super high-pitched voices almost never work in english. P4G is no exception.

That said, i typically find them bad in japanese as well.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Hopefully if the Switch continues to sell out in Japan, ATLUS will consider porting the game to it, and then we could play it on a handheld system. I don't believe there's actually a technical exclusivity deal, they've just typically developed the games on the system due to the Japanese market share. If that share changes, or demand is high enough over there to make it profitable, it's a possibility, maybe.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.